Tipping in Cash

jsn55

A question about NCL Epic Med cruise October 16:  We've always tipped certain crew members in cash, especially for drinks.  I consider the prepaid gratuities just a cost of the cruise and want to be sure the crew members I interact with are tipped directly.  We usually just add a tip to the check when a drink is delivered.  Recent  Princess cruise used the medallion (what a disaster) and there were no checks to sign. We had to hustle up some cash. 

Will I be able to tip on Epic by adding it to the check, or do I need to bring cash?  Many thanks for the help.  

You'll need to use cash.  Only when a ship is in a port where tax is assessed would you get a check.  You can tip there but I question how much of that gets to the staff.

I find tipping an efficient way to get rid of foreign currency.  So to the extent you're carrying Euros, they gratefully accept those as well 🙂

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

A question about NCL Epic Med cruise October 16:  We've always tipped certain crew members in cash, especially for drinks.  I consider the prepaid gratuities just a cost of the cruise and want to be sure the crew members I interact with are tipped directly.  We usually just add a tip to the check when a drink is delivered.  Recent  Princess cruise used the medallion (what a disaster) and there were no checks to sign. We had to hustle up some cash. 

Will I be able to tip on Epic by adding it to the check, or do I need to bring cash?  Many thanks for the help.  

If you have the drink package, no slip is presented. I always bring cash so I can tip the bartender and others (this is in addition to the DSC).

• Like 1

The rumor that has been told to me by several bartenders and servers is that if I add a tip on the check (by writing it on the slip I sign) the staff member does not actually see that tip. Ever since hearing this from more than one server, and without prompting by me, I have tipped in cash only.

Are the crew telling me the truth? I don't know. I generally assume the best about people. That's how I handle tipping. And yes, I leave the daily service charge, while tipping extra to those that make my vacation extra special. 

• Like 5

I give cash, also.  But, I do think the waitstaff and bartenders do tend to "fudge" a bit about adding tips to the receipt.  As best as we can tell (and none of us really know for certain) DSC (tips) paid daily are pooled and divided out by NCL, who uses them for bonuses tied to a particular person's customer service ratings.  They are not directly paid out like they are at land based bars and restaurants.  Does that mean the tips on the restaurant band bar receipts are subject to the same uses and procedures?  I don't know.

I have seen bartenders put the cash tips in a container behind the bar.  Do those tips get turned in to NCL?  Are they split up at the end of a shift with the bar backs and among all the bartenders?  I don't know that either.

14 minutes ago, zqvol said:

DSC is not tips. It is a service charge collected by NCL and is not divided with the crew. How cash tips are handled is a different matter.

DSC is the "Discretionary Service Charge" which by definition means the same as a TIP.  Crew DOES GET it.  May be monetary, may be a reward other than money.  

I don't want to get knee deep in yet another tipping or service charges thread.  

But, NCL's own definition is this...

"The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 12:06 PM, jsn55 said:

Will I be able to tip on Epic by adding it to the check, or do I need to bring cash?  

You should bring cash and tip in cash. The currency of the ship, regardless of where the ship is sailing, is US Dollars, so tipping in dollars (versus Euros) is o.k. 

First of all, as others have already indicated you should tip with cash.  It is just easier for you and the person performing the service.  However, consider the reason why you are tipping.  Also, consider how much you have already tipped before you set foot on board.  If the math adds up or you received excellent service and want to show your appreciation it, go for it.  Nothing wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with tipping extra.  All things being equal, the bulk of the passengers you will be rubbing shoulders will be paying the same built in service/charge gratuities as yourself.  This means that everyone is equal in terms of how fast the bartender will get your order. Tip after all stands for TInsure Promptness.  Therefore, you must tip cash in order to be served quicker.  That is the only reason I tip.  Below is why.  the example is from the 15 Panama Canal on this Bliss this November.

After you remove air fare, the vibe, and taxes/port fees, etc the cost to set foot on this ship is $1049.

I remove those items from consideration because they have nothing to do with service on the ship except for the vibe which has a fee attached to cover this added level of service.

There are $644.80 worth of fees tacked onto that $1049 which means tips, DSC, account for 61% of the voyage fare.  Now I don't know exactly how the money is divided up between NCL and the crew but I am only tipping if the service is slow, and I hope to speed it up.  It works on every cruise with NCL I have ever been on.  If you flash cash, they will serve you faster and more often that those that don't.

image.png.eaa5238b042ea5fb4e2b1699b91669fc.png

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

The rumor that has been told to me by several bartenders and servers is that if I add a tip on the check (by writing it on the slip I sign) the staff member does not actually see that tip. Ever since hearing this from more than one server, and without prompting by me, I have tipped in cash only.

Are the crew telling me the truth? I don't know. I generally assume the best about people. That's how I handle tipping. And yes, I leave the daily service charge, while tipping extra to those that make my vacation extra special. 

I've heard it (possibly from here) as well.  I don't see why crew would lie about such a thing so I tend to believe it.  I always bring cash for bartenders and my room steward.  I know the bartenders have a tip jar, though not sure whether they split that based on who is behind the bar that shift or something else.  

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You should bring cash and tip in cash. The currency of the ship, regardless of where the ship is sailing, is US Dollars, so tipping in dollars (versus Euros) is o.k. 

Of course USD always works.  While I try not to have a lot of extra currency from the ports I've visited, if I do, I'll use that for tips first.  They'll see those countries again sooner than I will.  It's always been gratefully accepted.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I did too. Does anyone know where NCL spells out discretionary vs. daily?

It says discretionary in the FAQs. On my invoice and boarding docs, it calls them "Onboard service charges" but also states that these are discretionary charges: 

ONBOARD SERVICE CHARGES. These discretionary charges are additional. If you have not pre-paid your service charges or are booked under Premium All Inclusive, a daily per person service charge will be added to your onboard account for all guests 3 years and older. Please see www.ncl.com for details.

It also refers to them as Discretionary when you are booking and it gives you the option to prepay (on the European site anyway - can't speak for elsewhere). To be honest, I can't actually see the acronym DSC anywhere anymore: Just onboard charges and then discretionary mentioned in small print or in the further info area. 

Edited by JeanKC
added more information

Just got off Joy on Sunday and I brought $100 in singles and 5 dollar bills and gave out most of it on board to various bar staff and servers on deck 17 overlooking the pool deck.

It's to thank them for their service and, inevitably, leads to even better service.

The bar service on Joy was exceptional anyway, so it was unnecessary, but my wife and I feel good doing it as this segment of the crew is on the front line having to deal with just about every passenger on board, including the somewhat rude and entitled ones.

It makes us feel good and it certainly makes them feel good.

We similarly treat our cabin steward to extra compensation, especially this sailing, as we had an excellent steward who exceeded expectations!

Also, on our first night at dinner in the Manhattan room, we were a group of 13 (9 adults & 4 little ones), and I felt that our server deserved a little extra for dealing with all of us, so we showed her our appreciation too.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I've heard it (possibly from here) as well.  I don't see why crew would lie about such a thing so I tend to believe it.  I always bring cash for bartenders and my room steward. 

I was going to post this, but thought of a couple reasons. #1 could be taxes. Not sure how those are handled on an international cruise ship, but that is a possible reason. #2 could be because they can just pocket it and keep it for themselves without sharing. 

Probably other reasons, but I'm leaning to believing it's true as well. Not that I don't trust the big cruising conglomerate, but you know... I kinda don't.

• Like 1

On my last cruise we ordered an expensive drink in the Haven that wasn’t included in the beverage package. Left a generous tip on the slip. The bartender crossed it out and told us that money doesn’t go to him and not to waste it. We tip in cash now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, KangCruiser said:

On my last cruise we ordered an expensive drink in the Haven that wasn’t included in the beverage package. Left a generous tip on the slip. The bartender crossed it out and told us that money doesn’t go to him and not to waste it. We tip in cash now. 

That's the best evidence yet that they don't get it! Guess I'll keep tipping in cash. Wish I could trust the line as then at least I could get points on my tips!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Grimix said:

That's the best evidence yet that they don't get it! Guess I'll keep tipping in cash. Wish I could trust the line as then at least I could get points on my tips!

I suspect that the crew does get the tips on the slip.  It doesn't go directly to the person serving  you but into the overall pool.  (Probably what happens with tips on the slip on shore too.)  I never tip on the slip and always tip directly in cash.

Just a "well, actually" point:

It's my understanding that bar tenders are not part of the DSC. Tips to bartenders are paid through the gratuities on the drink package or the mandatory 20% service charge if you are buying drinks a la carte on the ship. As long as you know the mandatory service charge is already on the bill, and you feel like tipping more, go for it.

You won't be able to get out of tips to the bartenders. No one can stiff them. The room stewards, wait staff and others are not so lucky, and you can avoid paying tips to them.

• Like 1

I don’t think Norwegian passes on the beverage package tips to bar tenders and bar backs in full. 

If one assumes say 1/2 the passengers in the ship are paying $20 in tip per day for beverages thru FAS. 

multiply that out and you get 20-45k in tips for bartenders PER DAY.  
divide that by max conceivable bar staff on ship 50? 75? 100? Depends on which ship. 

that works out to $400 per day in tips per bar staff.  Not including cash tips, premium plus tips, and a la carte tips. 

there is zero chance ncl is paying their bartenders this much even if tips are their compensation in full. 

the tips may go in the compensation pool, but it’s not just for bartenders. 

1 hour ago, djasinsk said:

I don’t think Norwegian passes on the beverage package tips to bar tenders and bar backs in full. 

If one assumes say 1/2 the passengers in the ship are paying $20 in tip per day for beverages thru FAS. 

multiply that out and you get 20-45k in tips for bartenders PER DAY.  
divide that by max conceivable bar staff on ship 50? 75? 100? Depends on which ship. 

that works out to $400 per day in tips per bar staff.  Not including cash tips, premium plus tips, and a la carte tips. 

there is zero chance ncl is paying their bartenders this much even if tips are their compensation in full. 

the tips may go in the compensation pool, but it’s not just for bartenders. 

Well... you answered your own question. Tipped positions on the ship work the same as tipped position at home. In DC, the minimum wage is $17/hour. If you are in a position where you get tips, your employer can pay as little as $6/hour. As a waiter in a DC diner, the DC Department of Employment Services expects that the first $11 in tips per hour goes to getting you up to minimum wage... which is really hard when people sit for an hour tying up a table, playing with their phone, and nursing a cup of coffee and leave a buck for tip. And minimum wage of $17/hour doesn't get you very far in the District. 

We were just on the Norwegian Escape. The Escape has 21 bars, some of which are staffed from 6 in the morning to 2 the next morning.... bartenders, waiters, cleaners... probably more than 50 crew you cite working split shifts, 7 days a week, maybe 13 hours a day (if they have a 390 hour/month contract). 

So, yes, your "tip" first goes to getting crew up to their minimum, contact value. Only after they hit their minimum contract value do they start realizing the additional gratuities. And, yes, some of that "tip" goes into crew enrichment funds to help the cruise line offset the cost of crew activities, parties, etc. (you're buying that bartender a free beer at the next crew party).