Ironing clothes

outandabout

No cruise line has clothes irons in the cabin, and passengers are banned from bringing their own (even travel irons) because of the risk of overloading the cabin wiring.

NCL don't have passenger laundries or ironing rooms, but your cabin steward can arrange for anything to be washed and/or ironed - at a cost.

To get travel creases out we use the cabin shower 

There's a clothes line fixed above head height on one side of the shower cabinet - draw it across to the hook on the other side. It's normally for drying swim gear.

Put clothes on hangers on the line, ensure that the shower jet is well pointed away from them, turn the shower on & pull the curtain across.

Getting wrinkles out takes 10 to 15 minutes.

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Don't bring clothes that wrinkle. I stopped about ten years ago. Plenty of performence and tech fabrcs that don't wrinkle. 

So true!  It took me a few years, but I now have plenty of travel clothing that needs little care and still is acceptable to this vain clotheshorse.  If I can't wash it in the sink (or rarely, send it out) it has to stay home.  There's just no future in looking like you slept in something.

12 hours ago, John Bull said:

No cruise line has clothes irons in the cabin, and passengers are banned from bringing their own (even travel irons) because of the risk of overloading the cabin wiring.

NCL don't have passenger laundries or ironing rooms, but your cabin steward can arrange for anything to be washed and/or ironed - at a cost.

To get travel creases out we use the cabin shower 

There's a clothes line fixed above head height on one side of the shower cabinet - draw it across to the hook on the other side. It's normally for drying swim gear.

Put clothes on hangers on the line, ensure that the shower jet is well pointed away from them, turn the shower on & pull the curtain across.

Getting wrinkles out takes 10 to 15 minutes.

JB 🙂

I heard about this travel hack before but haven't really tried doing it.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, outandabout said:

Just two sets of clothes for the formal night.

Celebrity has not had formal nights for years. I have found it pretty easy to meet the Evening Chic suggestions with non wrinkle clothing. 

If you want to bring those two sets of clothes anyway, it is an option, your choice, when I used to pack formal attire if despite my best packing skills there were wrinkles I used the shower hack to steam garments. If that was not good enough I sent those items to the laundry service. Celebrity definitely does not have self service laundry rooms and they won’t have an iron in your room and they won’t bring one. If hacks like the shower and downy wrinkle release don’t do the job then you will have to use their laundry service. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Celebrity has not had formal nights for years. I have found it pretty easy to meet the Evening Chic suggestions with non wrinkle clothing. 

If you want to bring those two sets of clothes anyway, it is an option, your choice, when I used to pack formal attire if despite my best packing skills there were wrinkles I used the shower hack to steam garments. If that was not good enough I sent those items to the laundry service. Celebrity definitely does not have self service laundry rooms and they won’t have an iron in your room and they won’t bring one. If hacks like the shower and downy wrinkle release don’t do the job then you will have to use their laundry service. 

Don't know why I keep on thinking "formal nights"; and I'm with you on the "evening chic", as Celebrity calls it.  Believe me, I'm not all that weary fancy, long gowns, etc.  The shower hack sounds good.  I'll look into downy wrinkle release stuff.  Thanks for your insight. 

1 minute ago, evandbob said:

Funny, I've seen this question posed often on these boards, but only from women. 

No guy has ever asked about ironing clothes, whether his or his travel partner.

Not true.   I asked it way back in the day.   😉

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Funny, I've seen this question posed often on these boards, but only from women. 

No guy has ever asked about ironing clothes, whether his or his travel partner.

51 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Not true.   I asked it way back in the day.   😉

Hush, Cole - you're letting the side down 😃

JB 🙂 

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some years ago I noticed that my adult children didn’t own irons.  Decided if it works for them it would work for me.  Only time I have ironed clothes is when I sail on Princess and as an Elite they do my laundry for free.

I am careful with fabrics I buy and sometimes hang clothes in the shower to remove packing creases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gwendy said:

Some years ago I noticed that my adult children didn’t own irons.  Decided if it works for them it would work for me.  Only time I have ironed clothes is when I sail on Princess and as an Elite they do my laundry for free.

I am careful with fabrics I buy and sometimes hang clothes in the shower to remove packing creases.

Come to think about it, I use my iron for sewing projects and to press a new garment that has 'shipping creases' ... but I haven't actually ironed anything in years.  Wash 'em, dryer for 5 minutes, hang 'em.  When travelling, I hand wash things, roll in a towel, hang on a fat hanger.  Every time I go by the garment, I shake it vigorously and everything comes out quite well.  Careful shopping has obviously been successful ... I just hate wrinkles!  I remember reading someone's post here about wearing linen in hot weather because it is so comfortable.  When questioned, she said that yes, it did wrinkle immediately and badly, but she just ignored the wrinkles.  I still marvel at that one.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

We were on the Apex in an outside cabin.  There was no pull-out clothesline in the shower.  😞

47 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

We were on the Apex in an outside cabin.  There was no pull-out clothesline in the shower.  😞

Sad, indeed.  😞

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

I am usually having too good a time to care if any of my clothes need ironing.

I cant see them anyway unless I am stood looking at a mirror. Which I dont usually do.

Totally agree.  Fold the clothes and then most of what I pack comes out without wrinkles. If something manages to get a wrinkle, then that is what shall be. 

• Like 1

Exactly 

The thought of worrying or stressing if i have a crease in my £5 polo shirt is just a ridiculous concept.

For the record.

Not all of my shirts are that expensive. Don't want to come across as pretentious.

• Haha 5