AT&T and calling home

GeorgiaMomof4

Sailing on the Sunshine and will need to be able to actually call home and talk to my kids.  My cell service is with AT&T.  Our only port is Half Moon Cay.

Will I be able to use Facebook Messenger audio call if I have the Wi-Fi package?

Any tips or recommendations? 

Thanks in advance! 

We get the middle Wi-Fi package and I’ve been able to use FB Messenger and FaceTime with my son. We both have iPhones. A few times the signal was weak and the call dropped but it usually worked. 

ETA:  my first time to use it was Feb. 2020 and most recently last month. 

Edited by lennythenose

Have never had any luck with wifi calling on the ships with ATT.  We get the international day pass - use it when at port and never had an issue. $10 for 24 hours.   If I had to make a call when on the ship it was $1.99 a minute.  Used our obc to cover the quick calls we had to make.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

How long ago was that?  We haven’t been able to use WiFi calling in a few years.  No problem with face time. 

8 hours ago, bar1068 said:

When did Carnival start allowing wifi calling? 

When I was on sunrise 2019 and Magic 2022

FaceTime Audio/Facebook Messenger should work via the Social wifi plan. You can contact AT&T or look on their website for information on roaming rates if you use Cellular at Sea to make a traditional phone call while onboard or ashore.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

When I was on sunrise 2019 and Magic 2022

Interesting. I’ve been on 8 cruises since the restart and except for the Harmony of  Seas, where wifi did work, I like others posting here have not been able to use wifi calling on Carnival. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Interesting. I’ve been on 8 cruises since the restart and except for the Harmony of  Seas, where wifi did work, I like others posting here have not been able to use wifi calling on Carnival. 

Yeah Carnival explicitly blocks carrier-based Wifi calling. It does not work.

• Like 1

With the middle WiFi. Plan.  You, should, depending on WiFi gods. Make phone calls. Always could make them.  May not work but you Waite a hour then it works.  You can do Facebook, iMessage ( all WiFi not data)  to communicate.  You can set up codes. Blue is all ok. Red call rect. “. The water is blue today”. All ok 

We cruised last month on The Legend and periodically a text would come thru from an iphone. Most of the time though we were not able to text. We did not get any wifi packages. Not sure why sometimes it came thru and the other times it didn't. We just made sure we were on airplane mode. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bar1068 said:

If you get best plan - WhatsApp calling also works. 

Edited by Stick93

1 hour ago, jennas_mum said:

We cruised last month on The Legend and periodically a text would come thru from an iphone. Most of the time though we were not able to text. We did not get any wifi packages. Not sure why sometimes it came thru and the other times it didn't. We just made sure we were on airplane mode. 

iMessage seems to work when on carnival WiFi without paying for a plan. It seems hit or miss but we’ve had no problem sending texts the last few cruises. So much so, that it’s more reliable than the $5 chat plan they offer to those on the ship. 

AT&T offers 2 cruise plans.  You need to call them to have them add it to your account. 

$50- unlimited texting and 50 minutes of calling 

$100- unlimited texting and unlimited calling

The $100 plan also includes minimal internet service. I’m not sure about the $50 plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will need to check in at home too. Usually we are disconnected while on vacation but this time our daughter is pregnant and I'll need to check in or they will need to get a hold of us in an emergency.

I am aware of the International Day Plan through ATT. Used it in Europe last summer & worked great. On the ship.....if I do the wifi plan & use Facetime or messenger video chat........how do I do that? Is the phone still on airplane mode?  Same to text another iphone?

On 8/8/2023 at 9:33 PM, jennas_mum said:

Same thing happened on my January cruise on the Celebration.  We didn't have the WiFi plan and our phones were on airplane mode but out of the blue text messages started coming in from a Cowboys fans text group I'm in while I was sitting in the back of the ship watching the Cowboys/Bucs playoff game.  I'd never received a text while on a cruise so wifey glared at me because she thought I'd taken my phone off airplane mode! lol 

Turns out it was just a random spot out at sea where text came through even while on airplane mode.  I was actually able to text back during that brief time (about 30 minutes).

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, CheckersMidwest said:

I will need to check in at home too. Usually we are disconnected while on vacation but this time our daughter is pregnant and I'll need to check in or they will need to get a hold of us in an emergency.

I am aware of the International Day Plan through ATT. Used it in Europe last summer & worked great. On the ship.....if I do the wifi plan & use Facetime or messenger video chat........how do I do that? Is the phone still on airplane mode?  Same to text another iphone?

Yes.  If you and person you are calling both have iPhones you can iMessage or FaceTime while connected to ships WiFi AND on airplane mode.