GTY ocean got a connecting balcony and under the pool deck.

Traveling on Allure next month. First time we did a guaranteed ocean view balcony. We ended up on the 14th deck with a connecting balcony. Now I’ve heard nightmares about hearing pool lounges dragged above our deck as early as 6 am and connecting balconies and rooms being noisy. Feeling regretful for not choosing our own room. I’d love to hear some tips on those who were on deck 14 and having a connecting balcony. Thanks in advance.  I do want to say I’m really grateful to be fortunate to take a cruise. We knew we were taking a chance, just want to know how to make the best of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My TA would look to see if any other cabins unbooked in your category to move to. I hear some TAs wouldnt bother but mine will move you if something better open. Exact same category.

This... and if you booked direct, just look for any available cabins in the same category, and if you find any you'd prefer, call RC and ask to switch yourself.

Before using TA's, I booked almost nothing but GTY's myself and switched them pretty much every cruise.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hawaiianislanddoll said:

Traveling on Allure next month. First time we did a guaranteed ocean view balcony. We ended up on the 14th deck with a connecting balcony. I’d love to hear some tips on those who were on deck 14 and having a connecting balcony. Thanks in advance.

Do a mock booking and see if there are any other balcony cabins in the same category elsewhere on the ship and if there are, call RCL (if you originally booked direct) and ask them to move you. If you booked through a TA, call them and ask the same question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

You may be able to move to another deck, but you will still have a connecting room, since you were assigned a cabin in category CB.

Another option is to see what the price would be to upgrade to another category.

Not all OV balcony rooms that have a connecting door are category CB.  There are some 1D/2D , 1C/2C and 3D/4D OV balcony rooms that also have a connecting door.  So that would make a difference for @Hawaiianislanddoll to know so they can look at the exact same category when going a mock booking before calling to see if they can switch.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rockmom said:

Not all OV balcony rooms that have a connecting door are category CB.  There are some 1D/2D and 3D/4D OV balcony rooms that also have a connecting door.  So that would make a difference for @Hawaiianislanddoll to know so they can look at the exact same category when going a mock booking before calling to see if they can switch.  

You are correct.  I knew that was the case on some ships, but I specifically looked at Allure's deck 14 and saw they are CB, but of course I stopped scrolling too early.  😄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hawaiianislanddoll said:

Traveling on Allure next month. First time we did a guaranteed ocean view balcony. We ended up on the 14th deck with a connecting balcony. Now I’ve heard nightmares about hearing pool lounges dragged above our deck as early as 6 am and connecting balconies and rooms being noisy. Feeling regretful for not choosing our own room. I’d love to hear some tips on those who were on deck 14 and having a connecting balcony. Thanks in advance.  I do want to say I’m really grateful to be fortunate to take a cruise. We knew we were taking a chance, just want to know how to make the best of it.

Not a lucky draw, but it’s still a really fun ship. 

I lived the horror story mentioned by the OP.  I would definitely see about changing cabins.  We listened to the "herd of baby elephants" for 2-3 nights once, and then I asked to be moved.  Customer Service was able to do so.

In this case it might mean giving up the balcony.

On the Freedom class ships nearly every suite is in deck 10, right under the pool deck. They might sound proof suite more, but I've never had a problem with noise from above on Freedom class.

The connecting door can be annoying, though. I saw a recommendation to put a towel at the threshold to block some of the noise.

ETA: I was in CBs on deck 14 of Allure last Thanksgiving, no noise issues, but I was under the transition from the main pool area to the Solarium. Never heard any noise from above. My daughter was in the connecting room, so while I did have to listen to our neighbor it was much better than her being in our room ;).

Edited by OSUZorba
  • Haha 1

As others have suggested, check to see if there are more desirable available cabins in your exact category.  If so, ask to switch.  If there are not any right now, do mock bookings now and then; one might open up if you are lucky.

We have not had any issues due to connecting doors on multiple cruises (knock on wood).  Sometimes we hear a noisy neighbor in an adjacent, non-connecting cabin.  Pack earplugs whether you have a connecting door or not; be happy if you don’t use them.

Some deck 14 cabins (Oasis class) will have more noise issues than others.  Look carefully at the deck 14 and 15 deck plans; see what is above your cabin.

I've twice intentionally booked neighborhood balconies under the pool deck on Oasis class ships.  Sometimes I heard the chairs early in the morning but it wasn't too loud or frequent to prevent me from doing it again.  Very convenient deck, for me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, soremekun said:

I've twice intentionally booked neighborhood balconies under the pool deck on Oasis class ships.  Sometimes I heard the chairs early in the morning but it wasn't too loud or frequent to prevent me from doing it again.  Very convenient deck, for me.

It is nice to hear your experience.  I book gty fairly often (we are not particularly noise sensitive).  So far, we have not been assigned deck 14 on Oasis class. It is apt to happen sometime and I’d like to have a positive attitude when it does.  It would be a convenient deck.  We have been below the pool deck on other ships (different classes/ lines)..

• Like 1

We've had noise problems on two ships in 29 cruises.  One under the 3rd floor restroom, they moved us to a deck 12 balcony, worked out well.  Cleaning crew kept waking us up at 3:00am 

We've had a couple connectors but no noise, had to call security on a non connecting interior once.  The guy was beating the heck outa his lady, she screaming.  They came and no more noise, but it was scary!

Then on Voyager we were once under one of the Jacuzzi's and kept getting woke up by gurgling water sounds, somewhat hypnotic, but aggravating...we let that one ride.

Edited by BecciBoo