Bargain found re December 7 day cruises

wearesiamese

As one who has never been to the Caribbean I am really tempted to take one of those cruises even though I will have just returned  from Japan  on Nov1  Fares starting at $2500 for a week is a bargain  . I may take the train to Miami as I prefer to not fly when I can ..but air would be less expensive then getting a room or roomette on Amtrack so I may have to just get over it and fly more(only  flying back home because Japan is my happy place and worth it.AS   told Anand  my bf, there are only 4 countries where I would fly to  for  a vacation: 1.The UK because of Wimbledon and a tea shop in Camden I have been a customer for a long time)

2.India  because 'my bf is from Chennai, and I have ben there once and loved it     3.Australia   4. Japan- a no brainer 

Anyone want to join me on the cruise which falls on my birthday, Dec 6? I would like to form a trivia team as well. as dinner if any of you don't mind a s solo traveler eating with you 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wearesiamese said:

As one who has never been to the Caribbean I am really tempted to take one of those cruises even though I will have just returned  from Japan  on Nov1  Fares starting at $2500 for a week is a bargain  .

A very nice time to sail the Caribbean plus a birthday cruise; that is nice.

Pricing on cruises continues to be tremendous value IMHO.  I know some complain about the price but I look at what you get for the cost and compare it to other ways to travel and I believe cruising is more of a bargain today than even five to ten years ago.

I looked at what we paid for our hotel in Paris in 2017 and the price has tripled.  I look at what we paid in Miami a few years ago and the price has gone up tremendously.  Airfare varies for sure.  When I booked our flight to Marseille on BA  (business class) I had a voucher from a cancelled R/T flight of London that I had purchased (First Class) for a 2020 British Isles cruise which was cancelled and had tried to reuse for a 2021 British Isles cruise which was cancelled) and the voucher just about paid for the one way Business Class ticket and I realize that one way with BA is quite high relative to R/T and factored that in.

It's not for everyone but cruising for Anne Marie and myself is the way to go for us. Always has been for a completely different set of reasons but is still our preferred way to travel today for another set of reasons.    

Keith                   

• Like 3

I think this is a once in a lifetime special circumstance.  This time period was supposed to have been a Panama Canal Round trip to Costa Rica but was cancelled due to low water levels at the canal.  A good opportunity for some people but with sadness for others.

Enjoy that cruise.

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I think this is a once in a lifetime special circumstance.  This time period was supposed to have been a Panama Canal Round trip to Costa Rica but was cancelled due to low water levels at the canal.  A good opportunity for some people but with sadness for others.

Enjoy that cruise.

Roy

True and I understand this won’t likely happen again, or at least not in my lifetime!  Lol   The single staterooms are $ 3000  due to the  single supplement,  but even at that,  the fare I is still a bargain to me I’m having my TA work on booking me this am.Phones were not working right, when she called them late afternoon,  so she is going to try this am..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just booked my single stateroom I had no idea about the air credit and had forgotten about the cs discount

All told, $2000 for a single stateroom!!! As of a few minutes ago there are only three singlestaterooms left,and I think all on starboard side,because I got the last room on the portside!!! Don't wait on this one,or the following 2 ,   seven day cruises

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

Just booked my single stateroom I had no idea about the air credit and had forgotten about the cs discount

All told, $2000 for a single stateroom!!! As of a few minutes ago there are only three singlestaterooms left,and I think all on starboard side,because I got the last room on the portside!!! Don't wait on this one,or the following 2 ,   seven day cruises

Error  actual  fare w taxes etc, $2370 still    a bargain!!!!  🙂

Edited by wearesiamese
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wearesiamese said:

Congrats!  Just out of curiosity, is there something superior about cabins on Serenity’s port side?  It’s been years since I’ve sailed on Serenity.

Vince

1 minute ago, wearesiamese said:

I just prefer the port side as I always seem to get turned around  on starboard side  🙂

Ahh!  🙂  There is something tangible to always turning the same direction off the midships or aft stairs/elevators (and consistently flipping it forward), and not having to change it up cruise to cruise.

Vince

• Like 2

That is a SERIOUS bargain! 7 days on a Crystal ship for only $2000 in your own single cabin? WOWZA! Now I wish I could do it! Unfortunately I can't...I will have just returned from French Polynesia. But if I could, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat!

• Like 2

Of course, you have to remember that getting off the aft or midship elevators, you are facing forward, while the forward elevators leave you facing aft.

Best was years ago when the hallway carpeting had a pattern of chevrons, which pointed you in the correct direction.  I always wondered why that kind of design wasn't standard for a ship.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

That is a SERIOUS bargain! 7 days on a Crystal ship for only $2000 in your own single cabin? WOWZA! Now I wish I could do it! Unfortunately I can't...I will have just returned from French Polynesia. But if I could, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat!

total fare w air credit and discounts and taxes $2370  for single stateroom And of course, I don't remember  so I book portside as often as possible 🙂

Edited by wearesiamese
  • Like 2

I’m excited for you experiencing the Caribbean for the first time, weareSiamese! I’ve been numerous times. It’s not like visiting Europe, or Asia, and I’m not much of a beach person. Still, once shore excursions show up, between those and TripAdvisor, I’m sure you’ll figure out something.

I will be curious to see what you do in each port. I will be at two of them in Nov. on Serenity, for the first time. Nassau and St Kitts I’ve been to, many times. They’re not super exciting, but there are a few things to see/do at each.

Have fun, planning!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, May B said:

I’m excited for you experiencing the Caribbean for the first time, weareSiamese! I’ve been numerous times. It’s not like visiting Europe, or Asia, and I’m not much of a beach person. Still, once shore excursions show up, between those and TripAdvisor, I’m sure you’ll figure out something.

I will be curious to see what you do in each port. I will be at two of them in Nov. on Serenity, for the first time. Nassau and St Kitts I’ve been to, many times. They’re not super exciting, but there are a few things to see/do at each.

Have fun, planning!

I suspect some might also become impromptu "sea days",

Roy

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wearesiamese said:

I just prefer the port side as I always seem to get turned around  on starboard side  🙂

Me too.

For years we had the port on most of our cruise but for Northwest Passage we had the starboard and I kept going the wrong way for the laundry room and the  fitness center. Always go to the right and going to the left threw me off.

Keith

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 5:57 AM, wearesiamese said:

total fare w air credit and discounts and taxes $2370  for single stateroom

So did you actually get the Air Fare credit included on this cruise?

It doesn’t seem to be listed as one of the eligible cruises on the site so if you did that would be interesting - https://crystalcruises.com/offer/us-air-credit-2023-07-31

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

So did you actually get the Air Fare credit included on this cruise?

It doesn’t seem to be listed as one of the eligible cruises on the site so if you did that would be interesting - https://crystalcruises.com/offer/us-air-credit-2023-07-31

yes That's what brought the fare down  after seeing the $3000 fare. I booked through Crystal on the phone then he transferred it to my TA as I asked him to:) He had already booked 4 rooms before this was announced on Crystals website he told me and expects to be very busy tomorrow .I only found out about it thanks to cruise critic  people🙂

Edited by wearesiamese
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 5:50 PM, wearesiamese said:

yes That's what brought the fare down  after seeing the $3000 fare. I booked through Crystal on the phone then he transferred it to my TA as I asked him to:) He had already booked 4 rooms before this was announced on Crystals website he told me and expects to be very busy tomorrow .I only found out about it thanks to cruise critic  people🙂

Thanks for alerting me to these cruises.  I'm booked on the Serenity Dec 2 - 16, 2023 Miami to San Juan.  Also in a solo stateroom.  I was able to use two Exceptional Initiative certificates!  I hope to see you onboard. 

Bill

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

I’m tempted to stay on

For another segment but they may be sold out by now

I just looked at the Crystal website. All categories for all three 7-day cruises in December 2023 have availability.

Rob

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Not sure what's the excitement.. SB has 7 nights Caribbean cruises starting around $2,100 USD..

But if you want to sail Crystal there is excitement.

Some people don't have a preference by line and make their decisions on which line based on price. Oher prefer a line and may make decisions for that line based on a variety of factors one being price.

Keith

• Like 4