towels on coco cay

1 hour ago, irish2005 said:

do you have to bring your own towels

No, but the towel stations on Coco Cay are not really conveniently located close to anywhere you might want to park for the day - and you need to check them out just like you would on board the ship.

• Like 1

Was just at Coco Cay earlier this week. There was a towel checkout station right while leaving the ship that day. We were told to bring back the same number of towels as checked out. If you needed dry towels while on Coco Cay you could exchange them. We were warned by staff that you wouldn't be able to check out a towel on Coco Cay, and could only exchange them. Didn't test that though.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:01 PM, look2thec said:

Was just at Coco Cay earlier this week. There was a towel checkout station right while leaving the ship that day. We were told to bring back the same number of towels as checked out. If you needed dry towels while on Coco Cay you could exchange them. We were warned by staff that you wouldn't be able to check out a towel on Coco Cay, and could only exchange them. Didn't test that though.

I have been to Coco Cay 10 times this year and have checked out towels on the island every time, including when we were there two weeks ago. 

34 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Where are the towel check outs on CocoCay?   I have never seen them so we always bring towels from the ship.

They are scattered around. The one we have used is near the pool. The map should show you where they are. 

• Like 1

I have a system for checking out towels: 

- I check them out on the first day, and I don't return for the length of the cruise.  

- Instead, I "exchange for fresh" as often as I want. 

- Two reasons:  Every time you check out /return, your number goes in /out of the system.  Every time you do that, the possibility of human error exists.  When you "exchange", you don't create a record.  Also, this means you always have clean towels in your room, so if you want to go to the hot tub early in the morning or late at night (when the towel station is closed), you have towels.  

- The negative is that you have to remember to bring your towels with you.  

- I return the towels on the last day and make sure-sure they're logged in. 

How this works on Coco Cay: 

- I don't know for sure where the towel is on Coco Cay, and I'd rather head straight for my lounger, so I like bringing my own already-checked-out towels from the ship.  

- IF I see a towel station on the way back, I'll "exchange" my towels for fresh, so I'm carrying lighter, dry towels.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- I check them out on the first day, and I don't return for the length of the cruise.  

- Two reasons:  Every time you check out /return, your number goes in /out of the system.  Every time you do that, the possibility of human error exists.  When you "exchange", you don't create a record.  Also, this means you always have clean towels in your room, so if you want to go to the hot tub early in the morning or late at night (when the towel station is closed), you have towels.  

- I don't know for sure where the towel is on Coco Cay, and I'd rather head straight for my lounger, so I like bringing my own already-checked-out towels from the ship.  

- IF I see a towel station on the way back, I'll "exchange" my towels for fresh, so I'm carrying lighter, dry towels.  

I like that idea!!!!

This is exactly what we have been doing for a couple of years now.  Works great.

• Like 1

This is what we do.  Check out 4 right away.  Never check them back until before dinner last day.  Always exchange. 

Use dry towels to roll up your wet swimwear then lay it down and walk on rolled up towel.  Unroll and your swimwear is almost dry. Proceed to get fresh towels on next trip up to pool.

Edited by shellunderwater

9 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

How many towels can 1 person check out that first time? You keep saying "towels".

On 9/3/2023 at 6:07 PM, VegasVic14 said:

How many towels can 1 person check out that first time? You keep saying "towels".

Good question. 

You may check out as many as you want; like the above poster, I always get four -- two for myself, two for my husband.  The towels aren't huge, and we both like to spread two towels on a lounger. 

If you had a couple kids in tow, you could check out for the whole family under your name.  You are not in any way limited to a certain number of towels; you're just responsible for returning that same number by the end of the cruise.  

Related question:  You may exchange (without actually returning) as many times as you please.  Just say, "Exchanging two, please".  You'll dump your dirties into a big bin, and they'll hand over your fresh towels.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

Do they really charge if you don't return?  I see towels laying all over all the time.  It looks like someone was done and just left it on the pool deck.  Are there a bunch of people getting towel charges?

The system seems so lax.  I am not sure if they really are cross checking or just giving the appearance of keeping track to keep people above board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

Do they really charge if you don't return?  I see towels laying all over all the time.  It looks like someone was done and just left it on the pool deck.  Are there a bunch of people getting towel charges?

The system seems so lax.  I am not sure if they really are cross checking or just giving the appearance of keeping track to keep people above board.

Not everybody has to check them out.  Some just get to flash their seapass card and they hand them to you without scanning.

I know they charge some people because I had a towel charge (incorrectly) show up on the final night of my most recent cruise. I called Guest Services, they said it was removed and I confirmed about 30 minutes later that the credit was there.

It is best to check your account periodically. 

Happy cruising.

• Like 1

On some rccl ships if you are in a suite they do not scan your seapass card when you take out towels, so maybe that is why you saw towels around on the ship. On Celebrity everyone just takes towels but then people just leave them all over with no accountability so you don't know if the lounger is free or not...that's why I actually like Royal's holding you accountable for your towels...way less towels left on loungers that are not in use.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:51 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been to Coco Cay 10 times this year and have checked out towels on the island every time, including when we were there two weeks ago. 

I was at Cococay one week ago. We were told there was NO towel checkout on the island. We needed to take our own towels, but were able to exchange as many times as we needed for dry towels on Cococay. We needed to bring the towels back as well (ie - could not "check them back" on the island). There was a towel checkout station just before we left the ship on Deck 2.

The only exception is if you rented a Cabana.

28 minutes ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

I was at Cococay one week ago. We were told there was NO towel checkout on the island. We needed to take our own towels, but were able to exchange as many times as we needed for dry towels on Cococay. We needed to bring the towels back as well (ie - could not "check them back" on the island). There was a towel checkout station just before we left the ship on Deck 2.

The only exception is if you rented a Cabana.

I have heard countless times over the last two years leaving a ship at Coco Cay that you can’t get towels on the island, but that simply isn’t true. You can checkout towels on the island at any time. Depending on where I am spending the day, I use the towel station near the Oasis Lagoon, the one on South Beach or the one in the waterpark. I have never had any issue at any of these locations checking out towels.