Silversea Air question

claudiaYVR

My T/A was recently advised that if full payment has been received, they will issue tickets 150 days out. Will be interested to see if that holds true as I've seen various responses to this question.

Cheers,

Rob

3 hours ago, Winemaker_1 said:

My TA said the tickets can be booked 250-270 days out but are ticketed 60 days prior.  Not sure I fully understand the distinction, but seems in line with others above.

Your seats are reserved, or held, but not actually ticketed until 60 days prior.  They are fully flexible and easier to change if routes are cancelled, but still a firm reservation. Like something you have paid a deposit on but the store holds it until fully paid.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just be aware that your flights CAN be ticketed earlier than 60 days out.  That's happened to us in the past when we were contemplating doing a pre or post cruise package and were surprised by finding our flights ticketed earlier than expected.  We still could change, but it was more expensive to do so.

• Like 2

I am 46 days from sailing and my flights are booked but not ticketed.  2 calls to my TA produced 2 answers when she called Silversea:  the first was "ticketing is 60 days out", the second was "I meant 40 to 60 days out".  If I'm not ticketed next week, there will be a 3rd call.  Wouldn't matter so much except Emirates will not let me pick a seat until ticketed and I'm rather concerned about being bumped from Business Class on a 15 hour flight home.  This was a very cheap Business Air upgrade I purchased a couple of years ago.

Missy in Maryland (is it time to pack yet?)

5 hours ago, MHF said:

I am 46 days from sailing and my flights are booked but not ticketed.  2 calls to my TA produced 2 answers when she called Silversea:  the first was "ticketing is 60 days out", the second was "I meant 40 to 60 days out".  If I'm not ticketed next week, there will be a 3rd call.  Wouldn't matter so much except Emirates will not let me pick a seat until ticketed and I'm rather concerned about being bumped from Business Class on a 15 hour flight home.  This was a very cheap Business Air upgrade I purchased a couple of years ago.

Missy in Maryland (is it time to pack yet?)

Hi Missy, where are you headed? Hope you have a great cruise, wherever it is going.

Here's the other side of the coin. We are going on the Nova 11-18-23 and paid in full. We got the outbound tickets a couple of months ago. About a month ago, we still did not have the Bridgetown to Tucson tickets, so I bugged my TA. A couple of days ago, My TA sent me a copy of the email SS Sky Desk sent them and they admitted that they still have not found a good routing for us and SS is still working on it- go figure!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Here's the other side of the coin. We are going on the Nova 11-18-23 and paid in full. We got the outbound tickets a couple of months ago. About a month ago, we still did not have the Bridgetown to Tucson tickets, so I bugged my TA. A couple of days ago, My TA sent me a copy of the email SS Sky Desk sent them and they admitted that they still have not found a good routing for us and SS is still working on it- go figure!

I also live in tucson. Getting back from bridgetown is a nightmare 

Getting anywhere from Bridgetown is a nightmare.

Getting from the street to the plane in BGI is a nightmare.

I'm glad I've sailed in and out of Barbados often enough because I now avoid itineraries beginning or ending there, it's too much of a hassle.

Just like I'm avoiding Fusina / Venice.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:32 AM, Winemaker_1 said:

My TA said the tickets can be booked 250-270 days out but are ticketed 60 days prior.  Not sure I fully understand the distinction, but seems in line with others above.

One is simply a reservation without commitment, the other is a confirmed booking.

If SS ticketed at 270 days out and you decided to change to a different cruise, they’d be left with the bill to pay for a flight booked (not reserved) in your name. At 70 days you are liable to pay the full bill for your airfare plus an admin fee, so  they wouldn’t be out of pocket if you decided to cancel. Once that deadline is breached you are filling committed to the fare and SS go ahead and ticket it.

Should you wish, they will ticket earlier (something I have done on one occasion), but that full cost commitment will be amended from 70 days to the date it’s ticketed. Hope that helps the distinction and the reasons.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Getting anywhere from Bridgetown is a nightmare.

Getting from the street to the plane in BGI is a nightmare.

I'm glad I've sailed in and out of Barbados often enough because I now avoid itineraries beginning or ending there, it's too much of a hassle.

Just like I'm avoiding Fusina / Venice.

I did a Barbados to Barbados in Jan this year and have a Ft Lauderdale to Barbados next Jan. We decided to board independently and still a bit clunky, once we boarded the transfer, we were on the ship and checked in 40 mins later. Leaving was a pain but it was just the addition of the bus to leave the ship that was the hassle.

I agree the process at the port is not as convenient as it could be, but I’d swap that for the ordeal experienced at Ft Lauderdale airport security any day of the week. (And had to do it all again 2 days later because BA eventually cancelled our flight after waiting at the gate for 6 hours!) I genuinely felt that on the first time around, it just wasn’t worth the hassle. Being told I had to decant all the camera gear into individual trays (lots of them!), which I never got sight of again for about 20 minutes was frankly just awful and I simply had to hope other passengers hadn’t touched it while I had that long wait in line and then being frisked.

Actually that was from a cruise we were both on, so you may even recollect the fiasco. It put me off for some time… and Mar 2019 to Jan 2022 was a fair recovery gap, though of course Covid was the culprit!

• Thanks 1

Hi Les,

Long time no chat!

Yes, you had a bad time at FLL but you have to remember that I have Global Entry with TSA pre-check and don't travel with a trunkful of camera gear, so my experience at US airports is a lot different. And I avoid flying BA if humanly possible.

BGI is just a pain for everyone.

And my last cruise out of Bridgetown was in the time of Covid testing and extreme paranoia, on a very windy day when the Spirit computer systems had crashed and they were trying to check us in outdoors with pen, paper and clipboards.

Much of it ablowin' in the wind ...

PS I always refuse the bus from check in to the ship - it's not obligatory - it's so much quicker to walk.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Hi Les,

Long time no chat!

Yes, you had a bad time at FLL but you have to remember that I have Global Entry with TSA pre-check and don't travel with a trunkful of camera gear, so my experience at US airports is a lot different. And I avoid flying BA if humanly possible.

BGI is just a pain for everyone.

And my last cruise out of Bridgetown was in the time of Covid testing and extreme paranoia, on a very windy day when the Spirit computer systems had crashed and they were trying to check us in outdoors with pen, paper and clipboards.

Much of it ablowin' in the wind ...

PS I always refuse the bus from check in to the ship - it's not obligatory - it's so much quicker to walk.

Ah, that’s interesting. I hadn’t realised there was a choice. Had I realised, we would have walked to the ship as well. Just assumed the coaches were because pedestrians weren’t allowed. Noted for future reference, though getting off, we’d need to locate where bags have been taken, so maybe the bus disembarking is easier unless you have your bearings (you see the ship on the way in!)

Meanwhile my last sailing (Viking to Iceland -  last month, where my planned and booked hike to the active volcano was cancelled as it stopped erupting 2 days before arrival.) - had a further setback! They’ve moved Triv from 4.45pm to 8pm saying it was better attended at that time. So it started just as we left the bar to go to dinner. Apparently it’s ship wide, so got this non event to look forward to next march too.

PS … I just remembered that cruise I mentioned before was the bunny cruise! lol

Edited by les37b

Bags are in the terminal building so you can walk off the ship too. Can’t miss the terminal building, it’s totally obvious. You then queue forever to go thru immigration in the building, then you find your bags in the shambles, also in the building. 
They sometimes shout at me for refusing the bus, they threaten I’m going to get run over, but there is no requirement to take it, just stick to the marked pedestrian walkway! 

PS triv at 8pm, Viking are full crazy!!

Edited by jollyjones

PLEASE...everyone check their air!  I was told ticketed at 60 days, then I was told ticketed by 40 days.  On day 39 I emailed my TA who called SilverSea.  They ticketed that evening.  Something about an upgrade to the computer systems the previous week...okkkkkkk...

Missy in Maryland (am I there yet???)

Silverair booked flights that seem out of the way.. and not great times.. SFO-PHX-ANC 2024... arriving in ANC at 11:45pm...  Same airline/Alaska has many other flights that day so we could arrive earlier and at least have the afternoon in ANC.  If I ask for a different flight time, will I be charged the $150 fee?   I am also being told there are no upgrades to purchase thru SilverAir for our flight from SFO- ANC.   Can I use my own $ or points to upgrade?  TIA

Edited by Kalscruise

You can ask for something else without paying a fee.  I would have a few options to suggest -- no guarantee you'll get them, but it's a place to start.  SS may say there is an extra cost for the flights you want but you will be able to decide if you want to pay that, OR go with other flights they have.

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Kalscruise said:

Silverair booked flights that seem out of the way.. and not great times.. SFO-PHX-ANC 2024... arriving in ANC at 11:45pm...  Same airline/Alaska has many other flights that day so we could arrive earlier and at least have the afternoon in ANC.  If I ask for a different flight time, will I be charged the $150 fee?   I am also being told there are no upgrades to purchase thru SilverAir for our flight from SFO- ANC.   Can I use my own $ or points to upgrade?  TIA

On AA international flights booked through SS, upgrading with miles + cash was possible, but it took three calls to AA before finding an AAgent that was willing to put us on the upgrade waitlist, after being told by the first two that it couldn't be done. The initial upgrade was at the gate, and the return was by email two days before leaving. We also have AA status, which may have helped.

Edited by taxatty
  • Like 2