Interior upper/lower with porthole

Susan in Maine

59 minutes ago, maxandmolly said:

I’ve stayed in a 1A, the upper/lower without the porthole. It’s the same size as a regular interior but with just one bed taking up space. 

The 1As with portholes are smaller than regular interiors. Otherwise Carnival would furnish and sell them as PT cabins.

13 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

Anyone stayed in one of these? (Carnival Liberty) How tiny are they? Do they work for two people - my daughter and myself?

Any information and/or pictures would be helpful!

Thanks!

I've done several of these - all solo - and I like them a lot. I especially appreciate the several hundreds saved over an OV or PT.

There are several gotchas that you should know about. You're very far forward, which means a very long walk to the aft locations. You're also low on the ship, which means a hike to the upper decks. The location means a lot of up and down motion, wave action, thruster noise, and maybe a cameo by the anchor chain.

• Like 2

Tried this category and have to agree with previous post. Very loud rumbling, noise and vibration when pulling in and out of ports. Bumpy and sways with winds or slightly high waves, the wave action will wake you with the slapping on the ship bow. A seasoned passenger should be fine, but on rougher days it's better out of the cabin in open mid ship areas. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The 1As with portholes are smaller than regular interiors. Otherwise Carnival would furnish and sell them as PT cabins.

Absolutely not true. They are slightly smaller than a OV. A OV is 220 sf. A inside is 170 sf. 

It's right next to a regular OV on the hull curve. 

I've stayed in them and posted many many pictures. Lol in fact I've sold my pictures to the site that shows pictures of cabins. I'm absolutely sure. 

In fact it's what I mostly book if I can. I prefer these because they are much larger than a inside. I love the extra space. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

They have a single bed and either a sofa bed or a bunk that pulls out of the ceiling.  They’re fine for solos, but set up to be booked for two.  It will be a little “cozy” with two, but do-able.

We have done them quite a few times. We like the extra space as they are bigger than insides. I'm talking specifically about the 1A with portholes .. some 1As are smaller. How can you say cozy if they are bigger than a regular inside, almost ov size? I'm betting you havent stayed in one yourself?

There are even 1As on conquest class that have 2 double beds. I have booked and stayed in all 3 decks that have these. Right next to a storage closet. So a little more square, but there are 3 on conquest class all with double beds, mid deck, I think deck 6 7 and 8. I'd have to look. Look near the aft elevator. 

Pre covid we used to have threads of which 1As were the best. As a mostly solo I tried many. Me and my sister did all 3 decks of the double bed ones too. People dont seem to know some 1As are regular king double beds. That push apart if you want. 

And for upcoming dream I have one of the large port holes. I prefer the larger port holes, my sister likes the higher deck non port holes with closer elevator access. 

Idk but I'd guess I have tried more 1As than almost anyone else?  I've actually stayed in these cabins as opposed to some posters guessing who have not actually stayed in many 1As. It's clear they havent actually stayed in one if they think a port hole is smaller than a inside. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just because there is so much incorrect info posted here ..

Here is what I mean. Cabin 2220 on breeze for example .. is the 1A port hole. Next to the PT which are 220 sf. The hull slightly curves and knocks off a little sf, but it's still almost 220 sf. 

Next is conquest class cabin 6393. There is one deck 7 and 8 also. These have 2 twin beds that push together as a king .. these 3. Not others. Right in back of the aft elevator. 

1A are the oddball sizes and vary from very small to quite large. And beds vary as well. 

20230901_081322133.jpeg

20230901_081432847.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Sorry about the deck maps co mingling. Seems need just one alone.

2220 is the PT, the 2 next to it going forward are the 1A port holes. 2212 is what I have booked. I'd rather the one next to it as the one next to the PT is a tad larger as the hull hasnt bent as much.

I have also confirmed this onboard .. looked very closely at all 3 mentally measuring where the hull curves. I usually try and get the one next to the PT, but 2212 is what was left when I booked. The good port holes booked early. I got the last for my dream cruise next jan.

I love these. Sorry my deck plans above ran together. 2220 is the PT. The 2 going forward from the PT are the 1As where the hull bends. 

20230901_081322133.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 1As with portholes are great cabins.

They used to be sold at 150% for solos which was a great deal instead of 200% now..

Can be noisy if the sea is rough with waves banging on the hull but not always. Also can be noisy entering port.

My daughter and I have shared them a few times with the couch made up as a single bed.

Treble the size of the insides on Celebration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Absolutely not true. They are slightly smaller than a OV. A OV is 220 sf. A inside is 170 sf. 

It's right next to a regular OV on the hull curve. 

I've stayed in them and posted many many pictures. Lol in fact I've sold my pictures to the site that shows pictures of cabins. I'm absolutely sure. 

In fact it's what I mostly book if I can. I prefer these because they are much larger than a inside. I love the extra space. 

Me, too.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

We have done them quite a few times. We like the extra space as they are bigger than insides. I'm talking specifically about the 1A with portholes .. some 1As are smaller. How can you say cozy if they are bigger than a regular inside, almost ov size? I'm betting you havent stayed in one yourself?

There are even 1As on conquest class that have 2 double beds. I have booked and stayed in all 3 decks that have these. Right next to a storage closet. So a little more square, but there are 3 on conquest class all with double beds, mid deck, I think deck 6 7 and 8. I'd have to look. Look near the aft elevator. 

Pre covid we used to have threads of which 1As were the best. As a mostly solo I tried many. Me and my sister did all 3 decks of the double bed ones too. People dont seem to know some 1As are regular king double beds. That push apart if you want. 

And for upcoming dream I have one of the large port holes. I prefer the larger port holes, my sister likes the higher deck non port holes with closer elevator access. 

Idk but I'd guess I have tried more 1As than almost anyone else?  I've actually stayed in these cabins as opposed to some posters guessing who have not actually stayed in many 1As. It's clear they havent actually stayed in one if they think a port hole is smaller than a inside. 

I couldn't agree with Firefly more. She is the absolute authority on these cabins. I cruise solo usually and I always try to get a 1A porthole. Decades ago they were the untold secret of the solo cruising people. The internet has, of course, ruined that. LOL Nowadays you must almost book at least a year in advance to get one of these gems..

I loved the price associated with sunlight into the cabin, although I was seldom there. I slept like a baby as the bow took on the crashing surf. Pretty loud at times, but acted like a Grandfather's clock to me and wooed me to sleep. The anchor chain can be a great wakeup also ! ! And docking has all the winches whiining as they tie the ship to the dock. I loved all of it.

Now, with all the limits on the length I can walk without sitting down, I might have to adjust my future cabin selection. The cabins are, obviously, quite a distance from most of the major activity (except the showroom 🙂) After a horrendous bout with Covid I'm just now rehabilitating into cruising shape again.

I will look forward to secure one of these great cabins on a future cruise .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, glrounds said:

I couldn't agree with Firefly more. She is the absolute authority on these cabins. I cruise solo usually and I always try to get a 1A porthole. Decades ago they were the untold secret of the solo cruising people. The internet has, of course, ruined that. LOL Nowadays you must almost book at least a year in advance to get one of these gems..

I loved the price associated with sunlight into the cabin, although I was seldom there. I slept like a baby as the bow took on the crashing surf. Pretty loud at times, but acted like a Grandfather's clock to me and wooed me to sleep. The anchor chain can be a great wakeup also ! ! And docking has all the winches whiining as they tie the ship to the dock. I loved all of it.

Now, with all the limits on the length I can walk without sitting down, I might have to adjust my future cabin selection. The cabins are, obviously, quite a distance from most of the major activity (except the showroom 🙂) After a horrendous bout with Covid I'm just now rehabilitating into cruising shape again.

I will look forward to secure one of these great cabins on a future cruise .

I didnt mention it but my sister who has cruised with me is HC. Numerous issues. Seizures so she says it makes her dizzy to look out the windows. Walking etc. So that's actually why she loves the 3 1As on conquest class near a elevator with 2 beds that push together.  She wants to be closer to that buffet. On carnival they dont lock up the buffet between meals like royal. For us this is a huge thing. She can sit in the buffet while I get off the ship. People flock to help her on carnival and I get back and she is surrounded by other ladies lol.

Carnival is perfect for her. Rcl locks the buffet doors so I cant just leave her there near food and go get off the ship. She cant find our cabin so i cant leave her where she has to move. Doesnt sound like a big deal as I dont see others like me who love this about carnival. The buffet the doors stay open! We like either the one deck 6 or 8 best, because i can take the stairs one down to 5 where the coffee is or walk to the shows. Or from 8 one up to the buffet, our favorite. Conquest class. None of these out of texas right now, I'm settling for dream class. 

Be careful which one you pick, they are all very different. Carnival is her favorite. People are always so quick to try and help her. She is such a people person, lol unlike me. 

• Like 2