Classic Package vs $17 Martini Bar

AMediator

Hi Everyone 

Thank you to all the amazing people that share information on these forums. I try to read as much as I can before I post. However - I'm not getting a clear answer on this question. Or if I am maybe it's just not logically making sense to me.

I'm cruising on the eclipse in December.  This is my first Celebrity Cruise but about my 30th overall. 

We have purchased the classic package. 

I understand the different levels and quality of alcohol that's available under these packages.

Where I get confused is the drinks on the menus.  It is my understanding that our package covers any drinks under $10 or the type of alcohol that's listed under that package. 

We really didn't see the need to spend so much more on the premier package when we just basically drinking whatever. 

However, this girl likes a good martini and I was very excited about the martini bar. 

I just saw the menu at the martini bar in the martinis are a whopping $17 each.  

My classic package states it only covers drinks up to $10. And in fact there was not one drink on the entire menu that was under $10 with the exception of beer.  

So now I'm kind of asking myself, what did I just commit to. And should I be upgrading to the premier package?

One question that I cannot seem to get answered is this... if I go to the martini bar with the classic package and order a martini am I going to be charged the $17 or am I going to at least get the $10 credit for the classic package and then pay the difference? I mean that seems reasonable right that you would just pay for the upgrade difference and cost if you're going to have one drink outside of the package?

If I'm only going to have a couple martinis this makes sense to me.

But if paying for the classic package denies me the ability to have a martini without paying for it 100 percent separately outright then I've got a problem. 

I'm so excited for you all to weigh in on this....

Currently on Summit.  You are correct, drinks at the martini bar are $17, so with the classic package, you will have to pay the difference -- $7 + gratuity.  Cost to upgrade to  premium is around $20 a day + gratuity.   You have to do the math.  With only 2 drinks, pay the difference instead of upgrading.  

Both have to upgrade, so it would cost you $40 a day + grat unless you are traveling as a solo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will test this out myself in a few weeks but in addition to what Wineaux said I’ve been told you can go the martini bar and tell them you are classic and see if they will make you a smaller martini or with cheaper liquor to keep you under your limit or to order something not one of their specialties such as a simple Cosmo or Lemon Drop. Or they may not and just pay the extra $8.40 for the special martini. It may change by the day and depending who you are asking if they’ll help out which is why there’s no easy answer the the drinks package dilemmas. At minimum you should get the $10 discount tho. 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Thanks 1

Basic martinis in smaller, traditional, size can be had at other bars. I typically have gotten cosmos, chocolate martinis and espresso martinis at the Passport bar on S class ships. I also have seen people get dirty martinis at other than Martini bar. I expect you could also get lemondrop and appletinis. Apprletini is on the happy hour free drinks list. 

4 hours ago, AMediator said:

Your the best. Thank you!

The Martin Bar is a lot of fun and very popular. The Martini's are great. I don't think there was a day that we didn't do 2 martinis. If you have OBC you can use them to upgrade to the premium package. Also - usually on "holidays" Celebrity has a flash sale where you can up grade for 17.99 per day plus tips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Both have to upgrade, so it would cost you $40 a day + grat unless you are traveling as a solo.

I know that if I upgrade via the app/website - or even calling into customer service pre-cruise, that both parties in the cabin would need to upgrade to premium.  However, I have been able to upgrade just myself by doing it onboard with one of the bartenders.  Is this still not an option?

• Like 1

My point about appletini during Happy Hour was that most of the bars on the ship will have the ability to make appletinis, regardless of when they may be ordered. Thus available to everyone. 

Edited by 39august

11 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This may seem like an odd question, but can we get a glass of wine at the martini bar?  Asking for a friend 🙂 

Yes and beer in case your friend likes beer. 😉

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, AMediator said:

Hi Everyone 

Thank you to all the amazing people that share information on these forums. I try to read as much as I can before I post. However - I'm not getting a clear answer on this question. Or if I am maybe it's just not logically making sense to me.

I'm cruising on the eclipse in December.  This is my first Celebrity Cruise but about my 30th overall. 

We have purchased the classic package. 

I understand the different levels and quality of alcohol that's available under these packages.

Where I get confused is the drinks on the menus.  It is my understanding that our package covers any drinks under $10 or the type of alcohol that's listed under that package. 

We really didn't see the need to spend so much more on the premier package when we just basically drinking whatever. 

However, this girl likes a good martini and I was very excited about the martini bar. 

I just saw the menu at the martini bar in the martinis are a whopping $17 each.  

My classic package states it only covers drinks up to $10. And in fact there was not one drink on the entire menu that was under $10 with the exception of beer.  

So now I'm kind of asking myself, what did I just commit to. And should I be upgrading to the premier package?

One question that I cannot seem to get answered is this... if I go to the martini bar with the classic package and order a martini am I going to be charged the $17 or am I going to at least get the $10 credit for the classic package and then pay the difference? I mean that seems reasonable right that you would just pay for the upgrade difference and cost if you're going to have one drink outside of the package?

If I'm only going to have a couple martinis this makes sense to me.

But if paying for the classic package denies me the ability to have a martini without paying for it 100 percent separately outright then I've got a problem. 

I'm so excited for you all to weigh in on this....

From what I understand is, with the classic pkg there are 3 martinis you can get at the martini bar in a 2 oz glass!! I think the Cosmo, Apple and Pear(not sure about this one). I’m hoping this will stay true for our April cruise. I was on the Silhouette in March but had the premium pkg, but…. I did see the smaller glasses! 
those prices are crazy!!! 
One thing I realized is, if you have premium pkg you need to emphasize to use the better alcohol lol. 🤔 

16 hours ago, RD64 said:

What exactly makes a martini worth $17? I assume there is the 18% gratuity on top of this.

Interesting question.

What makes a Blue Moon worth $11 on the ship?

What makes a Goose Island worth $16.49 at a major league baseball park?

It's what they're able to charge. Comparable to many large urban area bars. Cheaper than many European bars and hotels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, newfiegirl4 said:

From what I understand is, with the classic pkg there are 3 martinis you can get at the martini bar in a 2 oz glass!! I think the Cosmo, Apple and Pear(not sure about this one). I’m hoping this will stay true for our April cruise. I was on the Silhouette in March but had the premium pkg, but…. I did see the smaller glasses! 
those prices are crazy!!! 
One thing I realized is, if you have premium pkg you need to emphasize to use the better alcohol lol. 🤔 

All martinis at the martini bar are $17.  No classic package martinis available.  You can get a smaller martini at the other bars in a smaller glass with the classic package.

16 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

All martinis at the martini bar are $17.  No classic package martinis available.  You can get a smaller martini at the other bars in a smaller glass with the classic package.

Has this changed recently? As of this past March it was available!