which fan should I buy?

sharon&family

That's up to your personal preference really, and how much space you want to take up. I prefer plug in - the battery powered ones I find are more for noise than air circulation. I have a small desk tower fan that easily packs in my carry-on and travels with me to any cruise ship or hotel room. https://www.target.com/p/lasko-desktop-oscillating-tower-fan/-/A-84195089?FORM=SSAPC1

• Like 1

I was on the Horizon in May and the ac in my cabin worked just fine... This is the fan we take with us. It's packs small but it's telescopic, it oscillates and provides plenty of airflow. 

LIPETY Foldable Oscillating Standing Fan with Remote Control, 8" Portable Desk Quiet Fan, 7200mah Rechargeable USB Small Fan, Folded Floor Pedestal Fan for Bedroom Office Camp Travel https://a.co/d/arxsJBw

• Like 1

I have an OG 8 inch O2Cool fan that's over 10 years old and still spinning. Good air flow and just the right amount of white noise.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiaW5mbHVlbnN0ZXJfcHJvZHVjdGlvbiIsICJrZXkiOiAibWVkaWEvcHJvZHVjdC9pbWFnZS9wcm9kdWN0L2ltYWdlL2U2Mjg2NDU3LWU3YTQtNDE1Zi05ZDQ2LWI5ZmI0NjZkZTRhM18xLjg2MjE1MDk4M2M5ZWMwOWE4ZTMyODY2OTNjLmpwZWciLCAiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJvdGF0ZSI6IG51bGwsICJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogNzUwLCAiaGVpZ2h0IjogNzUwLCAiZml0IjogImluc2lkZSIsICJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMSwgImciOiAxLCAiYiI6IDEsICJhbHBoYSI6IDB9LCAid2l0aG91dEVubGFyZ2VtZW50IjogdHJ1ZX19LCAiZXh0ZW5kIjoge319

Since it's served me so well, I'll probably go with an updated version of that same brand when the time comes. Mine can work off batteries, but also plugs in, which I've always done. I also take a long extension cord (9-10 ft.) to be able to set the fan anywhere.

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

That's up to your personal preference really, and how much space you want to take up. I prefer plug in - the battery powered ones I find are more for noise than air circulation. I have a small desk tower fan that easily packs in my carry-on and travels with me to any cruise ship or hotel room. https://www.target.com/p/lasko-desktop-oscillating-tower-fan/-/A-84195089?FORM=SSAPC1

I have this fan - never thought of taking it cruising.🤔

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

an OG 8 inch O2Cool fan

I have this O2Cool fan from Amazon as well.  Mine is 10”.   I just checked my purchase history on Amazon and I bought it in 2015!  It still works great.  It uses 8 D batteries.  However I just plug it in on the cruise.  Folds flat to store in my suitcase.  

I take it to outdoor concerts and picnics.  

Edited by audcc77
Xxx
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

I have this O2Cool fan from Amazon as well.  Mine is 10”.   I just checked my purchase history on Amazon and I bought it in 2015!  It still works great.  It uses 8 D batteries.  However I just plug it in on the cruise.  Folds flat to store in my suitcase.  

I take it to outdoor concerts and picnics.  

Yep, 8 D's and folds up. Amazingly, I still have the box, so I checked and mine's the 8". I got it from Walmart's camping section way back when. I take it on all our vacations, it's been a trooper.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sharon&family said:

I'm worried that people are saying the Horizon is warm in some of the rooms.  I want to buy a fan.  Which one should I get?  Does it work on batteries or do I get one that charges or plugs in?

I've not come across any comments that Horizon cabins are warm, and searching the 'web I've found nothing about it.

When you say  "people are saying the Horizon is warm in some of the rooms" is that a number of people who say they've experienced it - or just one or two second-hand rumours? Air-con can be fickle on any ship, and some folk don't even know that it can be adjusted.

It'd be a waste if you bought a fan just for your cruise and found that there'd never been a problem

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2023 at 2:49 PM, sharon&family said:

I'm worried that people are saying the Horizon is warm in some of the rooms.  I want to buy a fan.  Which one should I get?  Does it work on batteries or do I get one that charges or plugs in?

11 hours ago, John Bull said:

I've not come across any comments that Horizon cabins are warm, and searching the 'web I've found nothing about it.

When you say  "people are saying the Horizon is warm in some of the rooms" is that a number of people who say they've experienced it - or just one or two second-hand rumours? Air-con can be fickle on any ship, and some folk don't even know that it can be adjusted.

It'd be a waste if you bought a fan just for your cruise and found that there'd never been a problem

JB 🙂

We were on Horizon 3 years ago. There were 9 of us in 5 cabins. Our cabin was the warmest we've ever experienced. I remember thinking that was nuts for a new ship. Our son and his friend were in the adjoining cabin and theirs was warm, too. As was another member of our party 2 doors down from us. These were all interior cabins. As for the other 2 cabins in our group, they were in balconies, so they couldn't really tell if it was warming than usual since they'd go in & out of the balcony door a lot.

@sharon&family I'd say if you can find a fan that suits your needs as far as air flow and being portable enough for you, and you don't mind carrying it, then go for it. Even if we don't use the fan for air flow, we like it for white noise, so it benefits us no matter what. My personal packing philosophy is, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Huh, for some reason I thought that fans were not allowed, but apparently I've been wrong?

When I read this I was thinking smaller rechargeable fans.  We have some that plug into a USB for recharging.  Never taken one on a cruise, but used them for camping in days past.   

On 9/13/2023 at 4:48 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I have an OG 8 inch O2Cool fan that's over 10 years old and still spinning. Good air flow and just the right amount of white noise.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiaW5mbHVlbnN0ZXJfcHJvZHVjdGlvbiIsICJrZXkiOiAibWVkaWEvcHJvZHVjdC9pbWFnZS9wcm9kdWN0L2ltYWdlL2U2Mjg2NDU3LWU3YTQtNDE1Zi05ZDQ2LWI5ZmI0NjZkZTRhM18xLjg2MjE1MDk4M2M5ZWMwOWE4ZTMyODY2OTNjLmpwZWciLCAiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJvdGF0ZSI6IG51bGwsICJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogNzUwLCAiaGVpZ2h0IjogNzUwLCAiZml0IjogImluc2lkZSIsICJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMSwgImciOiAxLCAiYiI6IDEsICJhbHBoYSI6IDB9LCAid2l0aG91dEVubGFyZ2VtZW50IjogdHJ1ZX19LCAiZXh0ZW5kIjoge319

Since it's served me so well, I'll probably go with an updated version of that same brand when the time comes. Mine can work off batteries, but also plugs in, which I've always done. I also take a long extension cord (9-10 ft.) to be able to set the fan anywhere.

I have one much like this -- mine's black, and I don't know the name brand.  It's in the attic currently.  It came from Walmart or Target's camping department years and years ago.  It folds flat, lays nicely between clothes, and runs on D batteries; I always take an extra set of batteries, but I don't. usually need to change them.  

I prefer battery powered because I can move it anywhere in the room /can take it out to the balcony /could even take it to the pool deck.  

Many cruise ships have a huge collection of electric fans that are needed and used in dry docks when the A/C is off.

If you contact the cruise line before you sail, it is highly likely that they will be happy to lend you one of those fans during your cruise. On my ship, we do it every week.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
Posted (edited)

I do not know about others but I bought this amazing mini fan and used during my 6 day cruise. The good thing is that if their fan gets confiscated, they will send you new one. Their fan is cruise ship approved. https://cruisingbreeze.com

my requirements were that it needs to last long, has different gears and is rechargeable. Exceeded my expeditions. 

Edited by Raidothecruiser
More information