Had medical emergency being charged $941 pp

3 hours ago, craig01020 said:

Cruise lines have no problem leaving you behind if you're late returning from a port of call.

So I guess not only do you get to watch your ship sail away but you can expect to pay for the privilege of watching that little spectacle too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

A medical emergency considered unlawful.  There's has to be some common sense otherwise it makes no sense.

While I agree with you I hope you don't think that those words are mine.   That was a quote from the Government's website.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

By rule it is unlawful. That doesn't mean the cruise line couldn't get a waiver.

And by my SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess), Royal didn't get the waiver, because of incompetence, laziness, lack of caring, or all the above.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I can't imagine the waiver process would work that fast. It'd be weeks if not months.

If you say so, I have no idea.  But, I don't remember reading when this incident happened.  Seems to me that the process would start at the time frame that the incident happened, automatically.  I'm sure this isn't a unique event for RCCL or others.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If you say so, I have no idea.  But, I don't remember reading when this incident happened.  Seems to me that the process would start at the time frame that the incident happened, automatically.  I'm sure this isn't a unique event for RCCL or others.  

Incident happened 2 weeks ago . Hopefully we hear back from RCL at some point 🙏

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Floridado2020 said:

Incident happened 2 weeks ago . Hopefully we hear back from RCL at some point 🙏

I'd usually tell someone to bug the business almost daily with never-ending phone calls until the situation is resolved.  But, if you don't have a special number to call, all you're going to get is the "phone answerers" who are just that, and nothing more, "phone answerers".   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

Not if RCL refuses to explain what the charge is or provide documentation for it.

That's how I'd dispute it, charged without explanation or documentation.  I'd tell them that if documentation or proof of purchase is provided, I'd gladly pay it.  Until then, zip, nada, zero................

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

That's how I'd dispute it, charged without explanation or documentation.  I'd tell them that if documentation or proof of purchase is provided, I'd gladly pay it.  Until then, zip, nada, zero................

Yup, I think the category with my credit card is "unexplained/unexpected charges." Royal can then provide the documentation.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

While I agree with you I hope you don't think that those words are mine.   That was a quote from the Government's website.

Sorry, meant as to the lack of flexibility to the statement in the rules.  For instance, if Oasis is sailing from Bayonne and the first stop is Cape Canaveral and there's a huge emergency (involves multiple Paxs) and needs to dock somewhere in between.  At what point is Royal fined and the fine is it based on passengers getting off or the entire population.  Also, if there's a death, does Royal bill the estate.   

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

At what point is Royal fined and the fine is it based on passengers getting off or the entire population. 

Also, if there's a death, does Royal bill the estate.   

The PVSA fine is per passenger.

Like with the OP, RCI will charge the credit card on file - hmmm, use a cash account to avoid any extra after cruise charges......where have I heard that before?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Like with the OP, RCI will charge the credit card on file - hmmm, use a cash account to avoid any extra after cruise charges......where have I heard that before?

I've wondered about this.  If I didn't give them a credit card onboard, would they be able to charge me?   For the deposit, I used my main high credit limit credit card.  I hope they couldn't look back in the records and use that.  
Note, this hasn't happened to me, I just like to be prepared.  We wouldn't be spending much on board, maybe one bucket-o-beers for DH and some candy for the girls.  

2 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

If I didn't give them a credit card onboard, would they be able to charge me? 

No, and after cruise charges was one of the reasons many folks used to have cash accounts.

Edited by Biker19

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, and after cruise charges was one of the reasons many folks used to have cash accounts.

CC is so darn helpful!   How does one setup a cash account?  Is that the default when you don't provide a credit card and if you don't do anything?   Although, then I think they'd stop you from buying stuff, and they wouldn't want that.  

Nevermind, I'm still waking up.   I hadn't even heard of the idea before.   Looked on Royal and found this

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/seapass-copy-request

Also found this here

Edited by HappyTexan44

52 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The PVSA fine is per passenger.

The OP indicated they let his mother disembark without signing a letter for the charge, though the cruiseline has the cruise contract and the credit card.  If she had a cash account, I wonder if they would have allowed her disembark with luggage without signing a promissory letter/note.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ret MP said:

One would wonder what the "Government" considers going to heaven in the port of call.  Is it still "unlawful" ("Who dare you to depart outside of the ship!")?

23 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Did you father get any treatment in the medical center on the ship? If so, is it possible the $1,800 is actually the bill for the medical treatment, not the PVSA fine?

But still, they need documentation of the charge so they can file on their trip insurance.

I don't think the OP is upset at the charge as much as not having documentation so they can file with the insurance.

We had a relatively small medical issue on board once.  Didn't get the documentation and it was nearly impossible to get that information after.  I realize in this case the fee was charged weeks later.  But furthers my point of not leaving the ship until you have the documentation you need to file claims later.  You may never get it after the fact.  And again, I understand this doesn't exactly fit my point, but is a great example.

Done rambling

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And, if I may suggest, this is one of those reasons to have a quality travel agent.

So many times folks ask why, or state there is no need for one.  But, having someone with contacts in the company and who can go to bat for you is a reason to have one.

Kinda like insurance, you don't need it until you need it.

Ok, wasn't done rambling, but am done now.  🙂

Edited by shellunderwater
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

The line has the right to pass the cost on to the passenger..  It is currently $798 per person per government website, so not sure why the $143 difference. 

I'm not sure where you acquired your information, but $941 is in fact the correct current amount:

(2) The penalty imposed for the unlawful transportation of passengers between coastwise points is $300 for each passenger so transported and landed on or before November 2, 2015, and $941 for each passenger so transported and landed after November 2, 2015 (46 U.S.C. 55103, as adjusted by the Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act Improvements Act of 2015).

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-19/chapter-I/part-4/subject-group-ECFR610bc0266d90628/section-4.80

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'm not sure where you acquired your information, but $941 is in fact the correct current amount:

(2) The penalty imposed for the unlawful transportation of passengers between coastwise points is $300 for each passenger so transported and landed on or before November 2, 2015, and $941 for each passenger so transported and landed after November 2, 2015 (46 U.S.C. 55103, as adjusted by the Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act Improvements Act of 2015).

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-19/chapter-I/part-4/subject-group-ECFR610bc0266d90628/section-4.80

This link (https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-23?language=en_US) indicates $778, but it references the same link you provided, which indicates $941.  Very confusing.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

This link (https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-23?language=en_US) indicates $778, but it references the same link you provided, which indicates $941.  Very confusing.

The link you have quoted is to a USCBP "Knowledge Article" while mine is to the Code of Federal Regulations held by the National Archive and Records Administration. I'd imagine that the latter is probably more accurate and up to date, if for no other reason than because I doubt that the fine would ever go down.

Here are just a couple of several non-governmental websites that also quote the $941 amount:

https://www.fair-sailing.com/1faqs-pvsa

https://www.adn.com/opinions/2023/08/18/opinion-i-decided-to-give-an-alaska-cruise-a-try-then-i-got-fined/

The second item is an article written by a passenger who was unaware of the PVSA and fines until she purposely disembarked in her home town instead of completing her cruise. It's an interesting article to read.

• Thanks 1