For now, carry your passport with you in Rome (Sep 2023)

slidergirl

11 minutes ago, steamboats said:

@-Lew- yes, a copie or photo of your passport might be helpful in case you need a replacement... just to prof your identity with the consulate/embassy.

steamboats

@steamboats...

I do have photos of our Passports, USA Global Entry Cards, and Drivers Licenses, in the Notes app on our iPhones and iPads if needed.  I know they will not replace the actual documents, but may be of value if one or more were lost, stolen, or misplaced.

As you can surmise, I'm a belt and suspenders guy... 🙄

• Like 1

Here's a sensible discussion of the requirements and risks. It still seems there is some wiggle room regarding whether a copy is sufficient and/or whether it is reasonable enough if one can retrieve the passport from their hotel rather than have it on the spot.

Of course, we should all make a sensible judgement but realize that we can always run into an unreasonable official.

https://iheartitaly.co/do-i-have-to-carry-my-passport-in-italy/#:~:text=You should carry your passport,asked to show your passport.

Replacing a lost or stolen passport.

Here is a link to the US Embassy's website on how to replace a passport.  The same procedure applies to any other country.  If you are not in the capital of the country, go to the local or closest US Consulate.  

https://it.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/lost/

As you can see, it is inconvenient, costly and time consuming.  Pay special attention to the "Processing Time" box.  It says you will only be issued a limited validity passport, not a regular passport.  So, presumably, you can finish your trip and get home.  

• Thanks 1

Roma is the only place I've ever experienced any crime ... despite my loud scream (I had just read about this trick), a woman, several children and a baby managed to slit my husband's front trouser pocket and make off with 15 whole euro.  He was livid about ruining his favorite travel pants.  It's not that I distrust foreign police, I'm only worried about a communication failure if I do something 'wrong'.  So I comply with all common sense rules, plus the intel offered here.  Just don't want to waste a precious minute of my trip dealing with issues.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:32 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I can't say I'm thrilled. I never like to carry my passport. I'm just a compulsive person and I know it will always be in the back of my mind when I have it with me, even if it is secured.

This.  I don't see how you could enjoy your day of touring knowing that you could possibly lose the only document that will get you back home.  Hmm... dealing with a surly Italian policeman for not having ID vs not getting on the plane with no passport. Tough choice.

• Like 2

When I was a kid, I 'lost' everything.  I found this so annoying that I set up a mental routine to keep track of important things that I've followed all my life, especially when travelling.  I pack only clothing with pockets now.  My passport, credit card and cash live in my upper left shirt pocket.  They go in one place back in the hotel or ship.  It's all so automatic now that I don't remember the last time I lost anything.  It will be annoying to have to carry my passport, but I know I won't lose it.  I don't want to waste a single minute dealing with the 'authorities' about anything.  I really appreciate the warning here on CC.

Edited by jsn55

I've written about this before, but I would advise caution when thinking you can outsmart the pickpockets in Rome (or Barcelona, or Paris, or Naples, or.....).

I've been on these boards a long time and I've heard it all. People have written about having wallets, passports, phones and the like stolen out of front pants pockets, buttoned cargo shorts pockets, zipped cross-body bags, you name it.

The only real secure way to carry a passport or other valuables when in a major city where pickpockets are common is under your clothes -- whether that's a hidden interior pocket, a money belt or pouch around your neck or a "bra stash". 

In Japan, pickpockets are nonexistent. Carrying my passport in an interior zipped pocket of my crossbody bag felt secure enough. I wish I felt that confident in Rome. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Rome. I just don't want to have to wear my passport all day and be constantly patting myself down to make sure I still have it. 🤣😱😡

• Like 8

I too have heard that this is much more common recently,   Particularly in train stations.    Just like North Americans you need an international driving permit.   So many want to Pooh Pooh these things but trust me when you’re stopped randomly you’re very glad to have what is needed.   It’s the law in Italy, we need to respect or risk the fines.  

We just carry our passports in a money belt under our clothes and never have to worry about it.   It would be next to impossible to pickpocket it.  I agree that slashproof bags can be stolen. Front pockets breached, etc etc.  

• Like 2

There's an emergency situation being reported on the Celebrity forum right now about an elderly British couple whose passports were apparently stolen out of their hotel room (not in a safe) in Athens, Greece.

Although they had 2 days' grace period to obtain an emergency passport and have been in touch with their embassy, apparently they have been informed that they will NOT be able to board the ship with it for their cruise. Why? Because the ship is headed to Egypt and Israel, neither of which will accept an emergency passport as valid documentation for entry.

With all the travel I've done, including multiple trips to Egypt and Israel, I never knew this before.

So losing your passport or having it stolen pre-cruise could really ruin your vacation. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, steamboats said:

This is no legal ID in Europe. And the international DL here in Germany is just a piece of paper with translations - so pretty worthless.

steamboats

I was referring to North Americans but there was a typo, it should have read:  

Just like North Americans need an international driving permit.   Realize EU members don’t need this.  

14 hours ago, Langoustine said:

All I can tell you is that in 1987 I was stopped by the Carabinieri; it was not a pleasant experience.

We have been twice and were very glad to have the correct documents.   It was a bit intimidating.  They  totally ignored our drivers license and wanted only to see the International Driving Permit. 

Edited by bennybear

9 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Just like North Americans need an international driving permit.   Realize EU members don’t need this

Some states in the US require an international DL Like Georgia. Florida had it for a couple of months but then skipped it.

steamboats 

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There's an emergency situation being reported on the Celebrity forum right now about an elderly British couple whose passports were apparently stolen out of their hotel room (not in a safe) in Athens, Greece.

Although they had 2 days' grace period to obtain an emergency passport and have been in touch with their embassy, apparently they have been informed that they will NOT be able to board the ship with it for their cruise. Why? Because the ship is headed to Egypt and Israel, neither of which will accept an emergency passport as valid documentation for entry.

With all the travel I've done, including multiple trips to Egypt and Israel, I never knew this before.

So losing your passport or having it stolen pre-cruise could really ruin your vacation. 

I'm curious, if the Italian police are checking passports, what about Greek police?  TIA!

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm curious, if the Italian police are checking passports, what about Greek police?  TIA!

Ninja. We left our passports locked up on the ship and took copies with us.  Most times coming back to the ship. They didn’t even ask to see ID only the S&S card prior to getting back to the ship 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kleibo said:

Ninja. We left our passports locked up on the ship and took copies with us.  Most times coming back to the ship. They didn’t even ask to see ID only the S&S card prior to getting back to the ship 

We´re not talking about a check at port but a random check by the police in a train or in Italian cities.

steamboats

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will follow closely as we will be sailing in Italy next year.  However, after living in Italy for several years, and having had experiences with pickpockets in Rome, I would not carry my passport.  Not every airport actually stamps your passport when you enter Europe.  Same is true when you enter by sea.  

Maybe the new Entry/Exit System (EES) and European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) will provide suitable legal entry proof along with a suitable federal government issued ID.

The idea of “show me your papers” on the street for no valid reason creeps me out a bit (historically speaking). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruise2relax said:

I do not like carrying my passport but always carry my passport card, would that be sufficient if stopped by police for ID check?

I´d say no as this is not a legal document for traveling to the EU. It does not show your Schengen entry stamp (Visa Waiver Program). So just with the passport card you can´t prof that you are not an illegal alien.

steamboats

8 hours ago, steamboats said:

I´d say no as this is not a legal document for traveling to the EU. It does not show your Schengen entry stamp (Visa Waiver Program). So just with the passport card you can´t prof that you are not an illegal alien.

steamboats

I agree. 

However, the passport card would be a really useful id to help you get a new passport if you lose your regular passport.

• Like 1