Solarium now 18+

Just as a side note:  There are some, maybe many states that allow for underage drinking while in the home with parent(s) present.  I feel that if parents are with their young but mature upper-age teens should have the final say when it comes to having a glass of wine or beer with mom and/or dad, ANYWHERE alcohol is served and under the "age of majority" people are allowed admittance and open to the general public.  

On 10/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I know I’ve been on Anthem and it’s not a pool. It’s more like a giant bird bath

Respectfully disagree.  They are wading pools.  We really enjoy them.  

They aren't hot tubs, that's for sure.  I don't like the hot temperature of hot tubs but really enjoy the pools in the Solarium on Quantum class.

5098F168-2A6F-4E68-A6D6-CF1FDD3BBFDB.jpeg.e6b37d629c790922ca9272ce40880778.jpeg

image.png.e65f824ea65e9d23fda2568d12c4f16d.png

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

Just a thought.  Would you give the same answer if someone was asking about how to beat the age requirement for drinking?

Like it or not 18 is now the new rule in the solarium and I am not sure that this is the place for advice on how to break the rules and feel good about it.

9 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

Just a thought.  Would you give the same answer if someone was asking about how to beat the age requirement for drinking?

Like it or not 18 is now the new rule in the solarium and I am not sure that this is the place for advice on how to break the rules and feel good about it.

Of course not… His/her cruise card controls that.  And your entitled to your opinion as am I. They do not check IDs therefore if a person ( middle aged teenager) is sitting on a lounger with airpods in , minding their business and reading a book… why should we care?? Im in vacation. If this i such a big deal and you want 100% compliance …. Why dont you suggest to the powers to be at RCL to place an employee at entrance to check IDs??  This will never happen.

I'm fine either way.  I'm ok with the adjustment, even if it does negatively impact our youngest (16 yo boy) for another 1-2 years.

You have to draw a line somewhere, and when I think of "adults only", 16 and 17 doesn't fit that description.  I did notice my son getting a few looks on our Quantum cruise to Alaska a few months ago.  Even though he was legit to be in the solarium at 16 (as well my niece on the same cruise) I think some guests were puzzled seeing them.  Fortunately our kids know how to behave in spaces like that and would never be loud, cause a scene, etc... but even so 16 seems a bit young to me even if they are well behaved.

Either way isn't going to bother me, unless of course the kids are being obnoxious. At that point I would probably reach out to someone on staff to talk with the kids.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

We all make choices. It would be worth it to me to ensure that no one is skirting the rules because their little angel is "calm" and "quiet" and "no one would know". Especially if the crew are not going to enforce a regulation without it being something you can't get if you're not eligible.

Say what you will about Disney - they check the key cards in their adult area and anyone asked for it who can't produce it or whose card is not marked as 18+ is asked to leave.

I believe it would be worth it for many people and Royal knows it. And let's face it, it's much easier to let loose and we all party a little harder when we don't have to be on our best behaviour in front of the kiddos. Maybe the Solarium becomes an extension of Hideaway beach on CocoCay??

38 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I believe it would be worth it for many people and Royal knows it. And let's face it, it's much easier to let loose and we all party a little harder when we don't have to be on our best behaviour in front of the kiddos. Maybe the Solarium becomes an extension of Hideaway beach on CocoCay??

I would hope no one lets loose and parties a little harder in the solarium, as I believe it is intended to be a quieter place.  What in the world would someone do in a public pool area that is so extreme that it can't be done in front of children.  Yikes.

M

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, trippen texan said:

The need to keep kids off the dance floors, bars ,lounges, clubs.

One night on Odyssey a mom was sitting at the bar in the Schooner Bar with her two small kids taking up bar stools and coloring with crayons. So I disagree with you. They had no business being in a venue like that taking bar seating away from adults.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I would hope no one lets loose and parties a little harder in the solarium, as I believe it is intended to be a quieter place.  What in the world would someone do in a public pool area that is so extreme that it can't be done in front of children.  Yikes.

M

I was about to bring that up. Hubby and I enjoy a hug here and there and a little kiss when we are in the hot tub or the pool. I would not feel comfortable doing that if young teens were in the solarium. If young teens are present, we don't do that little bit of PDA. I really like the 18+ change in the minimum age. I really enjoy the adults only area on ships.

29 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

One night on Odyssey a mom was sitting at the bar in the Schooner Bar with her two small kids taking up bar stools and coloring with crayons. So I disagree with you. They had no business being in a venue like that taking bar seating away from adults.

And the crew did nothing about it? There is no excuse for them to allow that to occur.

9 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I was about to bring that up. Hubby and I enjoy a hug here and there and a little kiss when we are in the hot tub or the pool. I would not feel comfortable doing that if young teens were in the solarium. If young teens are present, we don't do that little bit of PDA. I really like the 18+ change in the minimum age. I really enjoy the adults only area on ships.

That's one way to keep young teens out of the Solarium.  Last thing they want to see are people their parents age engaging in a little PDA. 😁😁

😉😇

I kid, I kid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Of course not… His/her cruise card controls that.  And your entitled to your opinion as am I. They do not check IDs therefore if a person ( middle aged teenager) is sitting on a lounger with airpods in , minding their business and reading a book… why should we care?? Im in vacation. If this i such a big deal and you want 100% compliance …. Why dont you suggest to the powers to be at RCL to place an employee at entrance to check IDs??  This will never happen.

Now I understand. If they check IDs you tell your kid to follow the rules but if they don’t check, break the rules because you are special. A 15 year old could be perfectly courteous drinking in a bar—why should we care??  Because of the rule!!

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Now I understand. If they check IDs you tell your kid to follow the rules but if they don’t check, break the rules because you are special. A 15 year old could be perfectly courteous drinking in a bar—why should we care??  Because of the rule!!

…and how realistic do you think it is that a 15-year-old would be drinking in a bar on a Royal Caribbean ship?  How about you try a plausible argument.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

You must not cruise often… loosen up 😂😂

Edited by lcpagejr

7 hours ago, coffeebean said:

And the crew did nothing about it? There is no excuse for them to allow that to occur.

What is the crew supposed to do? Is it written anywhere in RCI's rules that they can't be there. I don't recall ever seeing any sign about an age minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is the crew supposed to do? Is it written anywhere in RCI's rules that they can't be there. I don't recall ever seeing any sign about an age minimum.

Exactly.  They are allowed to be there. Last year on Wonder my kids loved the band in the Mason Jar. They would sit with me at the bar, having an OJ enjoying the music.

I think people on CC keep forgetting the core demographic that RC are targeting. There are other cruise lines for people who want an adults only experience. RC know who will still be in a position to provide revenue in 30 - 40+ years time. 

I do so enjoy these types of discussions, but at the end of the day, Royal has made a change to their rules.  A welcome one to many of us.  

As for people who keep posting that Royal is targeting the demographic of families, while that is kind of true, they target everyone.   Baby boomers have more disposable income and those of us barely born at the end of baby boom years are still very active and spending.  As for kids sitting at bars, in a lot of places, the bars themselves restrict who can sit at one.   Remember, every age group will be pushed aside at some point, so never think the current younger demographic is any different.  But, those of us who are empty nesters or with no kids should have at least one spot we can be in without kids running around where we can actually relax.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BND said:

I do so enjoy these types of discussions, but at the end of the day, Royal has made a change to their rules.  A welcome one to many of us.  

As for people who keep posting that Royal is targeting the demographic of families, while that is kind of true, they target everyone.   Baby boomers have more disposable income and those of us barely born at the end of baby boom years are still very active and spending.  As for kids sitting at bars, in a lot of places, the bars themselves restrict who can sit at one.   Remember, every age group will be pushed aside at some point, so never think the current younger demographic is any different.  But, those of us who are empty nesters or with no kids should have at least one spot we can be in without kids running around where we can actually relax.  

I could be very wrong here because I haven't cruised every cruise line,  but I believe just about every cruise line has areas that are reserved for what the cruise line defines as adult.  Even Disney.  The supposition that those who want to have adult-only spaces should cruise on those lines that are "adult only" is a false one and a lazy argument.  There is space on most cruise ships that are designated for Adult Only and there are areas where adults can go and be quiet that aren't designated "Adult Only".  I know on my morning walk, by myself, I sometimes like to just sit and ponder the day in near total quiet, if only for 5 minutes.  I've never had a problem finding it and it wasn't the Solarium.  Sometimes it's the suite sun deck, sometimes it is at the rear/aft of the running/walking track.  The point is if you want an adult-only or quiet space because you want quiet and no jumping around kids, it's not hard to find.

Personally, I don't care what the rule is, I just ask that the cruise line ENFORCE whatever the rule is.  This 18+, as I've stated in the past, is a dilemma for me.  But, I won't go through that again.  

NOTE:  The word "YOU" as used above doesn't mean you @BND, personally.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

…and how realistic do you think it is that a 15-year-old would be drinking in a bar on a Royal Caribbean ship?  How about you try a plausible argument.

17? 😂 

8 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

You must not cruise often… loosen up 😂😂

You both missed the point! If you follow the thread, I was responding to a comment about checking IDs being the reason to follow a rule. But I guess I proved the point that people on CC choose which rules they will follow.

33 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Personally, I don't care what the rule is, I just ask that the cruise line ENFORCE whatever the rule is.  

I really don’t care either what the rule is, or even if they strictly enforce it, as long as people are not disturbing others. Too many people can’t judge what may disturb others tho.

Other rules concerning bookings, what may be brought onto the ship, things that affect choices before leaving home, should be followed. 

I have no issue with the solarium being 18+. Personally, I’d prefer if RC focused on making it a quieter, relaxing place but I guess I’ll stick to a balcony for that. 

What I find funny is people being disgusted at children being in the Schooner Bar or generally on “dance floors, bars ,lounges, clubs”. That’s trying to change RC from a family friendly ship with adult spaces to an adult oriented ship with kids relegated to a small number of places. 

27 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

I have no issue with the solarium being 18+. Personally, I’d prefer if RC focused on making it a quieter, relaxing place but I guess I’ll stick to a balcony for that. 

What I find funny is people being disgusted at children being in the Schooner Bar or generally on “dance floors, bars ,lounges, clubs”. That’s trying to change RC from a family friendly ship with adult spaces to an adult oriented ship with kids relegated to a small number of places. 

You really think kids need to be taking up stools coloring at a bar? It isn't as if they were there enjoying the entertainment or that coloring can only be done while sitting on a bar stool. And no one is trying to confine them to a small area of the ship. Heck, they pretty much have the run of the ship. 

• Like 5

On 9/28/2023 at 3:59 PM, mkmaj said:

I get that, too. I'm all for obnoxious kids getting the boot. Obnoxious adults too, for that matter 🤣

Random thoughts: 

- Thing is, "Boot out the obnoxious people" isn't measurable, and the crew is afraid of enforcing rules that aren't solidly black and white.  Playing your music so it can be heard 3-4 seats over vs. playing your music so loudly it can be heard across the pool vs. playing your music loudly at 7:00 am when practically no one is present.  These are fuzzy lines.  Harder to enforce.  

- Age is a relatively good measurement of decent behavior -- for most people. 

On 10/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, karl_nj said:

If it's about freeing space, then they should instead do something about chairhogs reserving loungers and not using them. I can't imagine kicking out the 16 and 17 year olds will actually make a difference.

On my last cruise, chair hogs were not much of a problem!  It was great!  

Agree that the small number of 16-17 year olds isn't going to make a difference in crowding. 

On 10/1/2023 at 12:44 PM, Ret MP said:

And how about parents teaching their kids good manners, like giving up their seats to older folks?  Hell, I still do it and I'm 72.

I agree with giving up your seat to an elderly (or infirm) person on a bus ... maybe some other venues.  Being able-bodied, I also hold doors and otherwise am helpful to those who need it.  

But I don't think it's reasonable to give up your lounger by the pool.  I get up early and claim my spot and stay in it half the day, and I'm not giving it up to someone who slept in just because they happen to be older.  

On 10/3/2023 at 3:07 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

There’s a whole segment of society that needs to be on the receiving end of a power washer. 

That's a visual!