Weird Medallion Question

katmigordon

I seriously loathe my legal name, never go by it, can't stand to hear it said out loud..... big long phycological fluster cluck I wont go into.  I keep seeing where it says that my name will show up for people to know who I am because of the Medallion - once on board can I have them change it on the medallion so that I can be called by the name I use for everything but legal purposes?

You got my attention with "weird question"! 😄 If you are able to use the Princess app, go to the personal information screen.  Between your last name and birthdate, there is a box that says "preferred name".  Try writing it there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the crew doesn't pay attention to the nickname box.  You have to create rapport with certain crew and tell them the name you prefer to use; they'll remember you after so many interactions.  If you don't want to look at your real name every time you walk into your cabin, you can get Guest Services to remove your name from the door tablet.  

I always found it awkward for the cabin steward and waiters to refer to me as Mr. (insert last name).  Makes me feel like I'm a teacher.  I always tell them that we can be on a first name basis and I'm not offended by that.

4 hours ago, donswife said:

You got my attention with "weird question"! 😄 If you are able to use the Princess app, go to the personal information screen.  Between your last name and birthdate, there is a box that says "preferred name".  Try writing it there.

My experience is the only time I see my preferred name used is on the screens around the ship when you have a birthday or anniversary.

8 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the crew doesn't pay attention to the nickname box.  You have to create rapport with certain crew and tell them the name you prefer to use; they'll remember you after so many interactions.  If you don't want to look at your real name every time you walk into your cabin, you can get Guest Services to remove your name from the door tablet.  

I always found it awkward for the cabin steward and waiters to refer to me as Mr. (insert last name).  Makes me feel like I'm a teacher.  I always tell them that we can be on a first name basis and I'm not offended by that.

I have found that the crew, especially cabin steward and waiters seem to like to call me Mr. FN and never Mr LN.  I am fine with that.  I would not like Mr LN at all - much too formal.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

When any of the staff calls me Mr. P, or by my given name Robert, I always ask them to call me Bob.  It just makes it more personal; and in my many years of cruising, on different cruise lines, they all did!  It's a simple request. 

Guest Snaxmuppet

I realise that this might not help you but why not just change your name legally? Looking at Google it should be straightforward in Phoenix.

When I married my DW we decided that rather than she take my surname that I would take hers and so I changed it. My surname is now her surname... I hated my birth surname anyway 🙂 

Interesting onboard reports from various people.

I don't think a Princess person has ever addressed me by my first (or second, which would be preferred) name.  It has always been "Mr. Guy."  On our future cruises, I will try to pay more attention.

To be honest, I prefer "Mr. Guy." but I doubt that I would correct anyone who addressed me as "Xavier" or "Benvolio."

• Thanks 1

To my limited understanding of your situation, which may be incorrect and which you "won't go into," changing your name legally is not a solution.

The printing on the Medallion is so small no one else can read it from a casual distance. Passenger Services can print and issue you a new one, because batteries go dead all the time.

A word to your steward is sufficient; meaning how you prefer to be called. One visit to Passenger Services and they might be able to change how your file comes up.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1