Can't make cruise

It's in about 3 weeks. Booked with a planner (vtg) and didn't get trip insurance (my mistake). My mom is really ill and I cannot go. DH doesn't necessarily want to go without me. He could. Or he could bring someone else as they said they'd allow one name to change. If we did change my name to a friend's name and then DH didn't show up would they allow the friend to go or does one of the OG names HAVE to go? TIA. 

Edited by laumicmah

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

99.999% sure one of the original guests on the booking has to go when doing a name change.

@Ourusualbeach Ken would know the answer.

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  I hope she feels better soon.

Only one guests name has to stay on the reservation.  If they happen to get sick and miss the sailing nothing will happen and their taxes and fees will be refunded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Just to clarify...DH name and my name on resie. We change my name to John Doe and then DH is no show. John Doe can still go, using our resie, without any issues? 

Yes but john doe doesnt get solo pts if two names are on the booking. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes but john doe doesnt get solo pts if two names are on the booking. 

Not that it's a big deal, but, does DH get points if he is no show? And does he get double points if he goes solo?

Does DH get port fees and taxes back if he's a no show? Same for me? What's the benefit to us canceling before the cruise as opposed to both being no show?

Thank you all for the info! I sent emails asking all kinds of questions to the planner and she only answered half. Also, what's the deal on canceling a Dec 14 cruise...too late? 50% lost. Can that be moved to another date? Also booked with that planner and I asked but she didn't answer that either.

Edited by laumicmah

13 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Does DH get port fees and taxes back if he's a no show? Same for me? What's the benefit to us canceling before the cruise as opposed to both being no show?

Thank you all for the info? I sent emails asking all kinds of questions to the planner and she only answered half. Also, what's the deal on canceling a Dec 14 cruise...too late? 50% lost. Can that be moved to another date? Also booked with that planner and I asked but she didn't answer that either.

Yes, port fees and taxes will be refunded for the no show.  Not fir you since that's a name change. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Thank you all for the info! I sent emails asking all kinds of questions to the planner and she only answered half. Also, what's the deal on canceling a Dec 14 cruise...too late? 50% lost. Can that be moved to another date? Also booked with that planner and I asked but she didn't answer that either.

If you cancel before you reach 60 day mark your loss is 50%.      If you move reservation to another date you are also penalized. Not sure if same 50% penalty applies.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you cancel before you reach 60 day mark your loss is 50%.      If you move reservation to another date you are also penalized. Not sure if same 50% penalty applies.

It does.  After final better to cancel than to move funds. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may want to consider moving the dates..Royal will charge you a 200 per person change fee..due at the time of making the change. And if there is a difference in fare on the new dates you'd be responsible for that as well. But it might work out to be better financially.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

You may want to consider moving the dates..Royal will charge you a 200 per person change fee..due at the time of making the change. And if there is a difference in fare on the new dates you'd be responsible for that as well. But it might work out to be better financially.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

That only applies to ssilings prior to final payment.  They are now in a penalty phase as they are after final payment. 

If it was before final it would only be $100 per person, not $200

Edited by Ourusualbeach

On 10/1/2023 at 9:36 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

That only applies to ssilings prior to final payment.  They are now in a penalty phase as they are after final payment. 

If it was before final it would only be $100 per person, not $200

I was thinking 2 people so the 100. a person..and I guess I didn't read! LOL

On 10/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, laumicmah said:

If it is not past final payment, you can move the cruise but if you have a non refundable deposit, will cost $100 pp to move to a different sailing date.  

On 10/1/2023 at 3:22 PM, Another_Critic said:

No and No*.

* Maybe yes if booking is changed to solo?

If DH goes, booking can be changed to Solo.  But if name switch to DH and Joe Doe, you cannot drop DH for JD to be solo.

And if changed DH to solo, might be subject to reprice and a higher fare.

• Like 1