Canaletto closed first night of cruise?

wdw1972

I vaguely recall seeing something about Canaletto not being open on the first night of a sailing, but it was quite a while ago and I'll admit I have not taken the time to search for it. 

My next 2 cruises are in the Caribbean, Nov 2023 Eurodam and March 2024 Rotterdam.  Until recently all specialty restaurants were available to book every night of the cruises.  Now all of a sudden Canaletto is not an option on embarkation day on either cruise.  All the others are available every night.  Does anyone know what's going on?  I know about the new Fresh fish thingy, but can't imagine they'd do a pop-up on embarkation day vs later in the cruise.  I'm not seeing any sign of it later in the cruise, though.

We were hoping to book Canaletto for our embarkation night in November (once on the ship) - guess we may have to do another Pinnacle instead (we have Tamarind the 2nd night).  Not interested in MDR.  Thanks for any insights!

Sue/WDW1972

Maybe fewer passengers book Specialty Dining for Embarkation night and/or Canaletto isn't as popular as Pinnacle or Tamarind so they're closing it on Embarkation night to allow more space for those dining in Lido??? My NA cruise to Caribbean later in the season also has Canaletto closed Embarkation night.

Board with you in 46 days!

• Like 1

For our first time upcoming cruises on the Nieuw Statendam & Rotterdam, every restaurant except Canaletto is available for dinner on embarkation day.

Perhaps the Lido is more crowded on the first night?

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Perhaps the Lido is more crowded on the first night?

I think so. When I have open dining, I almost always book specialty dining for the first night, because the MDR is typically slammed. I think the same thing would be true in the Lido.

I believe that this happens because the embarkation and sailaway sequence puts most people onto the same schedule, and most also have no activities planned for the first afternoon and evening. After the first night, people's plans and schedules are more varied.

I'm pretty sure that Canaletto was available to book for embarkation night on my upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam, but I booked the Pinnacle Grill. Canaletto was already heavily booked for other nights.

• Like 3

Last cruise in September they said no specialty dining was available the first night (though we could book for the night we LEFT the ship.  They had the days wrong). So, PG first night, a table here and there (concierge made reservations I know and maybe others walked up). Other nights absolutely jam packed.  

Now that I think about it, the Lido always has the "steak dinner" on embarkation night.  That, combined with people weary from traveling, luggage arriving late, MDR being a mess the first night could mean the Lido would be busier to the point they use the Canaletto space for regular Lido diners (like at breakfast & lunch).  Going forward I won't plan to do Canaletto on embarkation day, just to be on the safe side.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

We are on Rotterdam at the end of November.  You cannot reserve Canaletto at all from the app, but you can reserve for all of the other specialty restaurants. If you want to reserve Canaletto you have to use Holland America website.  All of the special dining venues are available every night for reservations, except Canaletto for departure day.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently aboard the NA and confirmed that fleet wide, Canaletto is closed.on Embarkation Day.

Reason:  Since the Lido Market is now advertising "Steak Night" (same steak in the MDR) for Embarkation Night, the response has been huge and extra tables/staff in Canaletto are needed to accommodate the Lido surge. 

As noted above, the Lido serves the same steak dinner but advertises where the MDR does not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

As noted above, the Lido serves the same steak dinner

What kind of steak is it?  Is it really that good or different than the every day type steak offering in the MDR?  Just curious!

~Nancy

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oakridger said:

What kind of steak is it?  Is it really that good or different than the every day type steak offering in the MDR?  Just curious!

~Nancy

Flat iron steak.  If properly sliced across the grain, you cannot mess up a thin steak.  The only difference is advertising by the Lido and MDR.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

Currently aboard the NA and confirmed that fleet wide, Canaletto is closed.on Embarkation Day.

Reason:  Since the Lido Market is now advertising "Steak Night" (same steak in the MDR) for Embarkation Night, the response has been huge and extra tables/staff in Canaletto are needed to accommodate the Lido surge. 

As noted above, the Lido serves the same steak dinner but advertises where the MDR does not.

Is this a move to decrease the passenger load on the MDR first night? I do fixed dining, so I've never had problems other than the usual first night slowness. But I've seen the long lines for open seating. 

• Like 1

We have reservations at Canaletto's the first night on our cruise in less than 2 weeks and also next March. We had friends who did back to back on the Eurodam last month and they ate there first night as well. I hope this just did not happen and we were not informed.  

12 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

We have reservations at Canaletto's the first night on our cruise in less than 2 weeks and also next March. We had friends who did back to back on the Eurodam last month and they ate there first night as well. I hope this just did not happen and we were not informed.  

This just happened.  Emails are supposed to be sent. Since I have no connection to HAL corporate, I just report what I hear.

I will be updating the Canaletto menus today to reflect daily specials starting on cruise day two.

16 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

We have reservations at Canaletto's the first night on our cruise in less than 2 weeks and also next March. We had friends who did back to back on the Eurodam last month and they ate there first night as well. I hope this just did not happen and we were not informed

Check to be sure that reservations can still be made. If not, I would call HAL's dining reservations (800) 541-1576 or (206) 626-8602. I know no slots are available the first night on my November (same itinerary as you are on) and February cruises.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Is this a move to decrease the passenger load on the MDR first night? I do fixed dining, so I've never had problems other than the usual first night slowness. But I've seen the long lines for open seating. 

That is what I was told.  It was a way to balance or spread out the anytime diners.  The Lido Market has a lot more evening diners than I usually see.

24 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Check to be sure that reservations can still be made. If not, I would call HAL's dining reservations (800) 541-1576 or (206) 626-8602. I know no slots are available the first night on my November (same itinerary as you are on) and February cruises.

Thanks and I will call.  We made these reservations the day they were available and I know things can change between then and now. 

On the Sept. 30-Oct 10 Zuiderdam sailing, there was no Canaletto on Embarkation night. We had made our HIA reservations months earlier in oder to avoid the MDR First Night Circus. We were informed by phone only after boarding. The person calling (Guest Relations?) made a new booking for us at the Pinnacle Grill.

Yet another cut to add to The Thousand Little Cuts that Seattle seems to enjoy making.