Gimme your CCL pet peeves

22 hours ago, jsglow said:

People who make ZERO effort to research a topic here on CC that's been discussed a freakin' thousand times and expect an answer AGAIN. There are many regular members who try hard to provide valuable guidance, especially to newbies. But seeing the same d@mn question week after week after week gets annoying. There's a search function, people!

Rant over.

Understood, but that's also how boards get stale and die.  There are only so many topics to talk about.

9 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

No bar soap in cabins, no soap dispenser near sink.  You have to reach into the shower for soap which is a pain if your cabin mate just happens to be in the shower. At least install a small soap dispenser near sink if no bar soap.

I don't remember being on any Carnival ship that DIDN'T have those nice round bars of soap in the cabin by the sink.20231015_192156.thumb.jpg.feb15d3260090c293eff8591b72f8ba7.jpg

• Like 10

On 10/13/2023 at 3:22 PM, kbnovak said:

The dancing/singing/parading wait staff in the MDR.  Service gets stopped, and my food gets cold.

Thank you.  They're overworked and understaffed just waiting tables.  The last thing they need is to be distracted from their primary job to go wait in the kitchen for showtime and do a song and dance that repeat cruisers have seen and heard numerous times before. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jsglow said:

People who make ZERO effort to research a topic here on CC that's been discussed a freakin' thousand times and expect an answer AGAIN. There are many regular members who try hard to provide valuable guidance, especially to newbies. But seeing the same d@mn question week after week after week gets annoying. There's a search function, people!

Rant over.

If I move up a VIFP level during my next cruise, do I get the benefits of the new level on that cruise?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TiredTrucker said:

As a bad blackjack player can you explain this one to me? Is it because they are taking too long or taking too much of the dealer's attention, or just because they are annoying.

They can take as much time as they need and occupy as much of the dealer’s attention as they like!  No problem!  I’m talking about when they make the “wrong” play.  Maybe they hit when they should stay or stay when they should hit or split when they shouldn’t, etc.  That changes the cards and while it COULD work out and help the table, more often than not, it seems to make things worse and cause other players to lose hands they would have otherwise won.

Also, I can’t stand it when a cold table starts to warm up and players choose that moment to sit out a hand or go to the bathroom or play two hands when they hadn’t been.  Blackjack is a very streak-y game, and I never want anyone to do anything to change the cards when things are [finally] going well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I don't remember being on any Carnival ship that DIDN'T have those nice round bars of soap in the cabin by the sink.20231015_192156.thumb.jpg.feb15d3260090c293eff8591b72f8ba7.jpg

Yes, they give you those.  A lot of people, though, choose to use them in the shower and then there isn’t another by the sink.

38 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

How do you know they are overworked ?  Being overworked is a very subjective perspective.  I know some real lazy-a--es that think 20 hours of work a week is being overworked.

My career often required 60+ hours of work each week. 

I'll defer to the fact that many of these Carnival workers have been working for them 5 - 10 years as evidence that they are not being overworked. 

I agree that overworked is a subjective perspective and even if they are I don't think that is the underlying cause of the decline in service in the MDR. I think the underlying cause is reduced staff. That may well cause some of the staff to overwork themselves out of pride of doing a good job though. So the two are not mutually exclusive.

But whatever the underlying cause, they are taking waiters away from their primary function at a time they are providing substandard table service, in order to put on their performance. I would rather they devote their resources to providing table service. If they ever get to the point they are again providing excellent table service and still have folks standing around then, and only then, should they put the idle folks to work as performers.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drew B 58 said:

They can take as much time as they need and occupy as much of the dealer’s attention as they like!  No problem!  I’m talking about when they make the “wrong” play.  Maybe they hit when they should stay or stay when they should hit or split when they shouldn’t, etc.  That changes the cards and while it COULD work out and help the table, more often than not, it seems to make things worse and cause other players to lose hands they would have otherwise won.

Also, I can’t stand it when a cold table starts to warm up and players choose that moment to sit out a hand or go to the bathroom or play two hands when they hadn’t been.  Blackjack is a very streak-y game, and I never want anyone to do anything to change the cards when things are [finally] going well!

And this is why I will never attempt to try to play and learn blackjack!!!   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, hockeyluver said:

And this is why I will never attempt to try to play and learn blackjack!!!   

It’s really not difficult.  And you can ask any dealer on any hand and they can tell you what you “should” do.

To be clear, every player has every right to play each hand in whatever way they wish, including “wrongly”.  I just get personally frustrated when their “wrong” play causes me to lose.  Particularly when it causes me to lose hundreds of dollars.  It’s MY problem, not theirs…

3 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

Yes, they give you those.  A lot of people, though, choose to use them in the shower and then there isn’t another by the sink.

You can always just as your steward for another bar.  I've never had a problem with keeping one in the shower and one by the sink. 

• Like 3

I have 2 pet peeves.  My first is when guests use their phone on speaker mode w/o using earphones  - including those listening to music or streaming movies.  I was reading on deck on our cruise last month and a lady sat down next to me streaming a movie without using earphones so I could hear the movie, too.  I kindly asked if she could turn the volume down and she did, but I could still hear the movie, so after awhile I simply moved.  Isn't that what earphones are for and the protocol discussed on Carnival's website? 

My 2nd pet peeve is what affects me the most . . . not being on a ship right now!  3 and done for 2023 and our 2024 doesn't start until Spring.  So, I'll visit CC and plan virtual trips in the meantime.  LOL!

Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

What is your background to support you as a credible source.

Well,

Studies: Master Nautical Sciences at Antwerp Maritime Academy

STCW II Master 

Chairman of TCAS Maritime and Aviation Safety, developing Safety and Emergency Procedures for the Maritime and Aviation Industry. 

Current Captain B747-400 and Simulator Instructor/ Examiner (Aviation).

And various ICAO/IATA and STCW/IMO courses regarding Crowd Management, Emergency Procedures, Security,...

In any case, there are many posters here with better experience than me as I am no longer working onboard cruise ships.

best regards 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 4:22 PM, kbnovak said:

The dancing/singing/parading wait staff in the MDR.  Service gets stopped, and my food gets cold.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if they stopped the "show." However, how late are you showing up that you aren't getting your food first? I can't remember the last time we didn't have everything, including our dessert already. 

On 10/9/2023 at 11:58 AM, nancy1031 said:

my parents loved to cruise- they stopped because1- they didn't have cell phones ,2- didn't have access to a computer and said it was too much of a headache etc- i can sympathize with them as i much prefer the old way of getting my docs in the mail etc and looking at a paper menu-am not a fan of all this technology...

I appreciate you mentioning that. I forgot about the old days and the itinerary in the mail. That was always so cool. It's sad that they just get left out. I wonder if they went through a travel agency, if that would take care of all of the technology part of it for them.

On 10/13/2023 at 1:13 AM, RMcoolX said:

Not being able to request a table for two pre-cruise in the MDR. I think it's crazy to have to run down the Maitre'D as soon as you get onboard to try and make this request.

I haven't done it post-covid, but you used to be able to email them prior to getting on and make special requests and such.

Here is a thread on it:

On 10/13/2023 at 5:47 PM, DramaQueen22 said:

Hard sells after a spa service

That is definitely one for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I wouldn't lose any sleep if they stopped the "show." However, how late are you showing up that you aren't getting your food first? I can't remember the last time we didn't have everything, including our dessert already. 

If you're in the MDR that has both scheduled seating and ATD, there are people with ATD at various different stages of their meals, including people who were just seated and now have a 10 minute wait just to be acknowledged because the wait team is preparing for showtime or performing (if you can call what they do performing).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Until the pandemic, this happened every time for me at early assigned dining, and I was there before the dining room opened or within five minutes of the official start time.  Anytime I ordered ice cream, it would be room temperature soup by the time they got around to giving it to me.  Since the pandemic, there have been far less showtimes.

With the extremely terrible service that started in January 2022 on multiple ships(Freedom 1/15/22, Radiance 8/29/22, Valor 11/28/22, Glory 2/5/23), I decided that I would no longer go to the dining room except for the strawberry soup.  I would leave after eating the soup.  My next cruise is 11/26/23.  Before I had a chance to execute that plan, they changed the menu and removed the strawberry soup.  There aren't enough things on the new menu that I  am willing to eat that would make it worthwhile to deal with the crappy service.

14 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

We didn't have any bar soap on the Breeze last week.  Maybe our cabin steward just skipped us.

13 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

How do you know they are overworked ?  Being overworked is a very subjective perspective.  I know some real lazy-a--es that think 20 hours of work a week is being overworked.

My career often required 60+ hours of work each week. 

I'll defer to the fact that many of these Carnival workers have been working for them 5 - 10 years as evidence that they are not being overworked. 

Well, I don't think any of the dining staff is doing 20 hour weeks.  I think they work hard.  While I would not be disappointed if the parade was discontinued, I enjoy it when it happens as, judging from reactions, do many others.  

17 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I know this will make some people mad, but this happens everywhere. I swear some middle-aged women have a comfort in standing in the doorways or any other spot that blocks traffic in the grocery stores. No consideration for other people. 

People doing 50 in the left lane.  ☹️

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Kermarkim said:

Comedians who don’t know how to be funny for the early showtimes.  Based on my last 4 cruises, it is apparent that these comedians only know how to perform in the 18+ shows:  However, they are under contract to also do family sets but most are not up to the task.

We found the opposite on the last cruise.  Only two funny comedians out of the whole bunch; one disabled with self-deprecating jokes that were hilarious.  Those in the 18+ just seemed to cover up their lack of talent with as many F-bombs as possible.  Completely UNfunny.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

Until the pandemic, this happened every time for me at early assigned dining, and I was there before the dining room opened or within five minutes of the official start time.  Anytime I ordered ice cream, it would be room temperature soup by the time they got around to giving it to me.  Since the pandemic, there have been far less showtimes.

With the extremely terrible service that started in January 2022 on multiple ships(Freedom 1/15/22, Radiance 8/29/22, Valor 11/28/22, Glory 2/5/23), I decided that I would no longer go to the dining room except for the strawberry soup.  I would leave after eating the soup.  My next cruise is 11/26/23.  Before I had a chance to execute that plan, they changed the menu and removed the strawberry soup.  There aren't enough things on the new menu that I  am willing to eat that would make it worthwhile to deal with the crappy service.

Hmmm, missing strawberries.  Hopefully the captain got to the bottom of that.  😄

• Haha 1