Playmakers: Are kids allowed?

We have sailed RC several times with the kids and never heard of any age restriction. My daughter was looking at the RC site and playmakers says “21+” which is news to me and caused her disappointment. She is 11. Is this a new restriction, or one that’s always been there but not enforced. We sail Thanksgiving week. Thanks for any information. 

Absolutely kids are allowed. The 21+ is just meant for alcohol consumption and likely poorly worded by RC. There are even some video games in Playmakers (not that adults can't play video games).

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Absolutely kids are allowed. The 21+ is just meant for alcohol consumption and likely poorly worded by RC. There are even some video games in Playmakers (not that adults can't play video games).

I recently sailed Virgin that is 18+ and has a video arcade with "classic" games. The place was always packed.

• Like 1

kids cant go to bars. night clubs or lounges in Texas at night Kids on the ship at like the dance floors  act like it is a play ground so easy to trip over one, or step on them, mom and dad just turn them loose.When something happens mom and dad get mad. and here comes guards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trippen texan said:

kids cant go to bars. night clubs or lounges in Texas at night

Bars onboard are not like bars on land. Bars onboard are used for family activities like trivia, game shows, etc.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Bars onboard are not like bars on land. Bars onboard are used for family activities like trivia, game shows, etc.

What OCSCMike said! 

If kids couldn't  be where alcohol is served, they would have to shut down the ship. Just about everywhere serves alcohol. 

OP - Yes - Playmakers is family friendly,  There are even some games in there.  I recall one playmakers has arcade games  as well.   

Have fun

M

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

1 hour ago, George C said:

I wish rccl would restrict children from barstools, but doubt they will.

I don't remember the ship but it was sometime this year and a bartender told the kids that they could not sit at the bar.  I agree I don't think they should be allowed to sit at the bar .  Save those seats for me😇

Edited by molly361
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I don't remember the ship but it was sometime this year and a bartender told the kids that they could not sit at the bar.  I agree I don't think they should be allowed to sit at the bar .  Save those seats for me

I have no issue with that. Do kids even want to sit at a bar? I have no kids and sitting at a bar isn't really my thing either so I'll defer to you guys.

My reference point is basically knowing my young nieces (and seeing other kids) love going up to whatever bar to use their vouchers for virgin drinks and then walking away. The one exception was when some of our family was sitting at SL bar in the afternoon... but we were also the only ones there and we had gotten to know one bartender very well and spent a lot of time talking to him as he made some of the best drinks ever.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jcarter4551 said:

We have sailed RC several times with the kids and never heard of any age restriction. My daughter was looking at the RC site and playmakers says “21+” which is news to me and caused her disappointment. She is 11. Is this a new restriction, or one that’s always been there but not enforced. We sail Thanksgiving week. Thanks for any information. 

Playmakers is like a Chili's restaurant with more tvs for watching sports and some video games. Not sure why it says 21+ but it's definitely family friendly, and I've eaten there with my daughter before she turned 21.

• Like 2

We were on the Wonder for Spring Break, March 2023. We were at the Vue bar for sailaway. A family was sitting at the bar (barstools), seemed like everyone was 21, except for 1, who was probably 18. The bartender was fine with it until more people came up, then he told the Under 21 that he could stay and stand at the bar, but he had to give up the actual seat. Which he did, no problem. He did stand for awhile, but eventually left the area. The parents understood the rule and no one complained. 

• Like 1

Just got off Oasis, my kid spent almost every night at Playmakers with us at a table to watch playoff baseball. He'd occasionally hit some pool balls if that was empty. But I do agree, and don't allow my kid to sit at an actual barstool AT the bar for more than a few minutes while he orders a Shirley temple.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Playmakers is like a Chili's restaurant with more tvs for watching sports and some video games. Not sure why it says 21+ but it's definitely family friendly, and I've eaten there with my daughter before she turned 21.

In the early days of the return to cruising, many venues, including Playmakers, only allowed entry to those 21 and over. I believe the current 21 and over verbiage is a carry over from those times that should be deleted from the Royal Caribbean website. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

What’s so special about bar stools?

Bar stools are at the physical bar, just like on land, kids shouldn't really sit at the bar. They can sit around the bar at a table or stool...but in most states it's illegal for a kid to sit AT the bar. On a cruise, it's just the courteous thing to not let a kid take up a bar stool at the bar