Sending cold wash/low heat/no iron clothes to laundry

OHCruiser

We're headed on a 30 day cruise and plan to pack light. This means mostly "travel" clothes, pants & shirts made of polyester/nylon/spandex that are cold wash, low heat or line dry, and no ironing.  I often wash things out in the room & hang to dry, but I'd really like to send these out. 

We're 4* and get free laundry.  Seems sad to only use that perk for underwear & socks.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with the ship's laundry handling these specific types of clothing.  I know that we can put a note on the laundry list.  My concern is that if it's ignored or forgotten, we'll be out a lot of wardrobe & $$.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

We just got back from our cruise and I wrote on the laundry order, cold water wash, no perfume and hang to dry on many items - everything came back fine. We were so happy with the laundry service we know we can pack much lighter on all our future cruises.  

• Like 2

HAL laundry does a great job w/special requests. Just put a note in the bag. You can also do multiple bags - 1 for hang dry and 1 for no iron, for example. 

HAL laundry service is a much discussed topic - I think you'll find reviews and comments to be overwhelming positive.

I have used their service for years before reaching no cost 4* level and would definitely continue to do so even if still had to pay for it.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

I get extra bags from our room steward. I send them out with special instructions. (I'll send multiple bags occasionally if the garment care calls for it.)

All the cold wash, tumble dry low go together. We've not had a problem. I must note that we'll put a tip envelope in for the laundry room with a thank you note on occasion. They do a great job and I don't think people show them enough appreciation.

In related news, I lay the laundry on the bed and snap a picture with my phone. When it comes back, I'll delete the photo. It's easier than keeping a detailed inventory.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, merriment said:

Question about requesting laundry to be hang dried, does it take an extra day before laundry is returned? Also, do you usually add a tip for the laundry staff in the bag?

Hi Merri!

I have heard (but not experienced yet) that it takes an extra day for the hang-dry laundry to be returned. Now that we are 4* I will see!

The tip, as all tips, are up to your discretion.

I send our laundry out at breakfast  It's almost always back before or after dinner. (8 pm fixed for us.)

I want to clarify. I send out laundry every day. Sometimes more than one bag if we have mixed care instructions. That's why I tip. (I ride that 4* benefit. Hard. Or at least heavily starched.)

The pressing is phenomenonal. I like finding the little plastic tags after I get home. It's like a little, well-pressed vacation memory.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I always had the same problem, only used it for socks, and underwear. So this time…. I am currently on board….I sent out two shirts and some lightweight jeans…and put cold water wash no heat dry in the form. They came back great. I am now a believer, and will send out my things separately from my partner who doesn’t care what they do with it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are 4* and sent laundry out numerous times on the past few cruises and I wrote on the laundry slip for low heat etc. and had no problems with anything.   They sent it back looking very good and no shrinkage or problems.   It sure is a nice perk!

• Like 2

We'll be sailing for the first time with HAL on Nieuw Statendam on the April TA to Rotterdam. We'll be in Fort Lauderdale for a wedding before the cruise and will most definitely be bringing some dirty laundry on board with us. Pleasantly surprised to see we get laundry with our Neptune suite. We always pay to have laundry done when we cruise and would have had no problem paying again on HAL, but so happy with this suite perk. 

Also, because of this type of cruise, it will be less summery type cruise wear and more of the athletic clothing I wear most of the year here at home. (leggings, casual tunic tops, etc.) I rarely put those things in the dryer and I was thinking I'd be hand washing my laundry in the bathroom sink on board, but now I know I'll be able to send everything. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jules815 said:

We'll be sailing for the first time with HAL on Nieuw Statendam on the April TA to Rotterdam. We'll be in Fort Lauderdale for a wedding before the cruise and will most definitely be bringing some dirty laundry on board with us. Pleasantly surprised to see we get laundry with our Neptune suite. We always pay to have laundry done when we cruise and would have had no problem paying again on HAL, but so happy with this suite perk. 

Also, because of this type of cruise, it will be less summery type cruise wear and more of the athletic clothing I wear most of the year here at home. (leggings, casual tunic tops, etc.) I rarely put those things in the dryer and I was thinking I'd be hand washing my laundry in the bathroom sink on board, but now I know I'll be able to send everything. 

Just be sure to write it clearly on the laundry form what you want done - i.e. , not heat or cold water, etc.   They seem to follow those instructions very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Despite giving specific instructions on the form, one of my shirts was returned ruined.  Metallic lettering on the front of the brand new t-shirt completely disappeared.  This was the second trip to the laundry, the first being okay.  Guest Services has refunded me the price of the t-shirt (purchased onboard) but the fact remains that instructions can be missed and the results cannot be reversed.  We will not be sending any more items with specific needs to the laundry.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kapitch said:

Despite giving specific instructions on the form, one of my shirts was returned ruined.  Metallic lettering on the front of the brand new t-shirt completely disappeared.  This was the second trip to the laundry, the first being okay.  Guest Services has refunded me the price of the t-shirt (purchased onboard) but the fact remains that instructions can be missed and the results cannot be reversed.  We will not be sending any more items with specific needs to the laundry.

I’m sorry to hear that happened to you and I can see how you’ll be hesitant in the future. My first HAL cruise is still months out so I haven’t used their laundry service yet but I have read much more positive than negative outcomes. I plan to use it, no sink washing for me on vacation 🙂, but I will consider what clothes I pack and limit those with very strict washing instructions. However,  I will have many cold wash/cool dry clothing since those make up a large portion of my current wardrobe. No one is perfect and one offs can happen, so if someone slips up and ruins an item, so be it. I have done it myself and ruined an item (or two) by accident. My husband has as well and he is now forbidden from washing any of my clothes. Though my, at the time, 10 year old daughter did love  my lovely cashmere sweater that now fit her. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We have had only good luck  with this type of instructions. I always write "wash cold, low heat" as safest bet...or "no iron" on a particular item. yes, they iron everything ..I even think they even iron socks ...at least they come back flat and creased and look ironed!

That said, I have a "blingy" top that I don't dare send..I just rinse it in the sink, wrap in a towel  and hang dry. Hand soap or a drop or 2 of shower gel make for easy rinse out..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bajae said:

I’m sorry to hear that happened to you and I can see how you’ll be hesitant in the future. My first HAL cruise is still months out so I haven’t used their laundry service yet but I have read much more positive than negative outcomes. I plan to use it, no sink washing for me on vacation 🙂, but I will consider what clothes I pack and limit those with very strict washing instructions. However,  I will have many cold wash/cool dry clothing since those make up a large portion of my current wardrobe. No one is perfect and one offs can happen, so if someone slips up and ruins an item, so be it. I have done it myself and ruined an item (or two) by accident. My husband has as well and he is now forbidden from washing any of my clothes. Though my, at the time, 10 year old daughter did love  my lovely cashmere sweater that now fit her. 

I sure can relate to your forbidding your husband to wash any of your clothing.   My husband throws fuzzy towels in with black pants and blouses and it takes me hours to get the fluff off the black clothing.   I now do my own loads!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I used HAL's laundry service mid-way during our Alaska cruise and they did a great job with my clothes, all of which are cold wash, cool dry. I agree that I wouldn't send anything with rhinestones on it because those are far too easy to ruin, but I was so pleased with the results that I'll definitely be using the service on our next HAL cruise. It just makes packing so much easier.

And, I hadn't thought about tipping. So that will definitely happen next time. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1