Candy straws?

sleepless

Yes they are sugar straws. Carnival sells reusable metal straws on board, or you can do like we do and just bring a ziplock bag full of straws on board with you. Go buy a box of straws at your supermarket. You can get a box of 100 for about $1.50.

Sugar straws may be ok for fruity drinks, but dont go so well with a bloody mary or michelada. Plus they dissolve into a slimy sludge-like substance. 

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 3

There are 3 flavors that I was given on the Glory last month; lime, strawberry and chocolate. While I did take my own metal straw, I ended up just using the candy straws. Depending on how much booze I had consumed, I'd even find myself biting off the tops while waiting for my next drink. 🙃 To me, they aren't good, but they aren't terrible either. My DH didn't like the fruity flavors, but was fine with the chocolate straw in his Mocha Choc. Getaway. As mentioned, they do get slimy and will eventually fall into the glass like a sludgy noodle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MommyCrankyPants said:

There are 3 flavors that I was given on the Glory last month; lime, strawberry and chocolate. While I did take my own metal straw, I ended up just using the candy straws. Depending on how much booze I had consumed, I'd even find myself biting off the tops while waiting for my next drink. 🙃 To me, they aren't good, but they aren't terrible either. My DH didn't like the fruity flavors, but was fine with the chocolate straw in his Mocha Choc. Getaway. As mentioned, they do get slimy and will eventually fall into the glass like a sludgy noodle. 

My Granddaughter liked the chocolate ones, made me get her some from the bars to take back

to the room for a snack, lol.

• Haha 3

I now have a lifetime supply of plastic straws to take with me on trips.  No paper or candy for me.  I don't want to carry a reusable one and have to go wash it out and dry it each time either.  Plastic use once and then throw away.  

Edited by Keksie
Autocorrect gone rogue
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

I now have a lifetime supply of plastic straws to take with me on trips.  No paper or candy for me.  I don't want to carry a reusable one and have to go wash it out and dry it each time either.  Plastic use once and then throw away.  

I understand wanting convenience, but this use once and throw away is exactly what the problem is with plastic items.  Carnival has been cited for using one and done plastics and is now prohibited from using them any more.  Too often these plastics wind up in the ocean, where they harm wildlife through ingesting them whole or as microplastic breakdowns.

There are large gyres of plastics just floating in the middle of both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans as proof of their damage to the environment.

• Like 8

The sugar straws are just gross looking and from what I saw they would only give them out if you ordered a frozen drink.  I take my own insulated cup with straw and pour my drink into it - no condensation dripping all over me and the drink stays colder longer.  The only thing I have to worry about is leaving it behind when I go from slot machine to slot machine after a few drinks lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I remember back before plastic straws existed, everyone used wax paper straws. I don't recall any issues with them. Maybe we could go back to them?

This was suggested in a previous thread (one of many, of course) about the candy straws.

I wonder whether the wax the was once used is now a California Prop 65 substance, so not able to be used?

7 hours ago, Keksie said:

As noted, that goes directly against the concept of eliminating single-use plastics (which are now significantly restricted in UK restaurants, for example).  Why do you not like paper straws?  There are plenty of variants that apparently do not get soggy, and are "cheap enough" to buy in bulk - a 200 pack for $8 on Amazon for one type I randomly looked at, for example.  And that one was a flexible straw too.

• Like 1

We use both metal straws and we found compostable "plastic" straws on Amazon. They are plant based. 200 Count 100% Plant-Based Compostable Colorful Straws-KTOB Biodegradable Flexible Drinking Straws - A Fantastic Eco Friendly Alternative to Disposable Plastic Bendable Plasticless Straws 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

I remember back before plastic straws existed, everyone used wax paper straws. I don't recall any issues with them. Maybe we could go back to them?

Are you talking about the paper straws from way back when?  Or are there more recent paper straws?

22 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Are you talking about the paper straws from way back when?  Or are there more recent paper straws?

No, paper straws from back in the day - they were made of wax paper. Modern paper straws are horrible, worse than the candy straws.

6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

No, paper straws from back in the day - they were made of wax paper. Modern paper straws are horrible, worse than the candy straws.

Ha! I remember them well.  Half way through your drink, the top end would collapse. I remember tearing off the collapsed part until I had just a few inches left.  I would abandon the straw and just drink for the cup or bottle. 🙂  

15 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Ha! I remember them well.  Half way through your drink, the top end would collapse. I remember tearing off the collapsed part until I had just a few inches left.  I would abandon the straw and just drink for the cup or bottle. 🙂  

How is this any better than plastic? It makes no sense.

6 hours ago, evandbob said:

I understand wanting convenience, but this use once and throw away is exactly what the problem is with plastic items.  Carnival has been cited for using one and done plastics and is now prohibited from using them any more.  Too often these plastics wind up in the ocean, where they harm wildlife through ingesting them whole or as microplastic breakdowns.

There are large gyres of plastics just floating in the middle of both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans as proof of their damage to the environment.

Where do you think the large gyres of plastics came from?  A straw that blew overboard or from Asian countries throwing their trash in the ocean?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

How is this any better than plastic? It makes no sense.

I get that plastic is an issue, but why straws? Think of all the plastic on the ship. Everything is wrapped in plastic. Plastic bags of all kinds, ie., carrying, bags you put the bulk candy in, plastic coffee lids, etc.

• Like 4

We just got off our first Carnival sailing last month and going in I knew about the candy straws.  We had experienced the bio-degradable straws on RCCL and those bloody candy straws are downright AWFUL on Carnival.  They almost instantly turn into goo and are all but useless.  I only really use a straw in a frozen pool drink, so I didn't think they would bother me.  They did.  I'll bring my own on the next sailing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

I'm reading all these comments about the candy straws turning to goo and thinking... either I drink my cocktails too fast or you're all drinking them too slow!

Yeah, that is true too.

I don't use straws in general, even for frozen drinks.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I get that plastic is an issue, but why straws? Think of all the plastic on the ship. Everything is wrapped in plastic. Plastic bags of all kinds, ie., carrying, bags you put the bulk candy in, plastic coffee lids, etc.

I have no issue with paper straws and I understand that elimination of plastic straws is a feel good item that falls short of what should be done.  Want to make an actual impact then eliminate all small plastic beverage containers and plastic bags across the board & everywhere.  Won't happen though.   In the meantime we can use our paper straws all feel great about how environmentally conscious we are while sitting on our mega cruise ships.😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1