Air Canada new size measuring device for carry on luggage

kellk

Just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and had to check in for an AC flight out of YYZ to our home city.

Was surprised by a new lineup (once we did bag drop) before entering the security lineup where our carry on roller bag was seemingly laser measured for size.

Many people in the lineup had their bags rejected as not meeting AC carry on size limits, like us.  We ended up having to pay $50 for that bag (sent to another lineup to see an agent who tagged our bag and collected the money).  

This same roller suitcase has successfully made it onto many flight and into the overhead bins onboard without issue before.  We were always under the impression that this suitcase met the airline size requirements for carry on, and in fact had been purchased with that in mind.

Anyone have similar issues with AC?  I wondered if the tag we had on the bag was the culprit in not meeting the laser's requirements?  Seems like a new money grab to me and I wasn't impressed.

I personally am happy to hear this.  Way too many people (not saying you are) take large carry-ons and numerous bags that it has gotten ridiculous.   The overhead bins end up full before everyone is even on the plane because people put them up as they walk on and not above their own seats.  We have gotten to our seats and there is no room even for my CPAP machine and is very frustrating.

Our last few flights they always ask if anyone is willing to check their carry on bag for free. I think it is long overdue for them to start enforcing the carry on size.  

For you personally, I’d check on the AC website and if in fact your bag is within their limits, I’d put in a complaint for a possible refund. 

• Like 17

DW and I have similar carry on bags that easily fit in the overhead bins of every plane that we've flown. That said, for the fun of it, I tried fitting mine in one of those metal cages that AC has to measure your bag, and was unable to by the smallest of margins. That begs the question of why the cage sizing is smaller than the bin sizing. I hope that the laser gauge allows for the teeny additional bag depth that the metal cage rejected. If not, at $50 per bag per flight, we'd save money by buying smaller bags, even though the current ones are touted by Samsonite as meeting airline size requirements.

We just flew out of YUL out to LAX  few days ago. All this talk of these new electronic sizing machines had me very concerned, as my wife's usual carry-on is a bit on the fat side. It can be coerced into a metal sizing frame but would easily fail an electronic laser scan sizer. I asked the AC check in agent about these machines, as there were none at the trans-border area at YUL that I could see. Astoundingly, she had never even heard of these machines, let alone knew about them, and there none anywhere in the check-in area or at the gate, though there were the old style frames. There did not seem to be much concern about carry-on bags for our flight, as there were none of the usual threatening voice announcements requesting "volunteers" to check their bags, though they did accept them if someone did want to check their carry-on. Also, the aircraft was a new-ish 737-Max, and the overhead bins were among the largest I've ever seen, the type where carry-ons are supposed to be inserted on their sides to maximize capacity.

When at expanded depth, our carryon doesn't fit in the metal cage.  When we flew to London it was checked, refused and, after some rearranging it zipped to the original, not expanded, depth and we were good to go.  On our recent flight from Rome, the PILOT loaded TWO full size suitcases in the overhead bins!!!!! 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

That begs the question of why the cage sizing is smaller than the bin sizing.

The fleet has several different sizes of overhead bins. I suspect the the cage is for the smallest bin in the fleet.

• Like 2

On a recent flight from YYZ to Calgary, we observed Air Canada measuring carryon bags prior to going through security.  It did not appear to be mandatory as we easily walked past without getting our bag measured.  On our return flight, we were seated in the gate waiting area and we were approached by Air Canada staff;  we were told the carryon bag 'must' be measured prior to boarding.  

Later, the gate staff made an announcement that if anyone gate checked their carryon (for free) they could board in Zone 3 with the families.  We took advantage of that offer because we were on our way home, not too sure if I would risk giving up my carryon at the beginning of my travels.

I've had issues in the past with the laser measuring device at YVR. Similar to above post, re-arranging some items and re-positioning the carry-on on the device (so the flat back is facing outwards and the zipper is facing into the device) allowed us to pass. 

I agree that the number of people with multiple, large carry-on is sometimes ridiculous, but AC needs to start policing the multi-baggers rather than the millimeter difference in bag sizing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if it catches the bulge when a soft sided bag is overpacked?

Also check what measurements a suitcase manufacturer is using when saying it is carry on compliant. US airline requirements are slightly larger than Canadian allowances. Some even state a 21 inch suitcase, but don't include the wheels or handle.

Take a measuring tape with you when luggage shopping.

• Like 2

Too bad there's no consistency from airline to airline. For example, Porter, AC and WestJet all have different size limits when given in inches.

Porter:  22 x 9 x 16

AC:       21.5 x 9 x 15.5

WJ:       21 x 9 x 15

On the other hand, Porter and AC have identical measurements (55 x 23 x 40) when given in cm, with Porter rounding up (as it should) when converting to inches, while AC chooses to round down. WJ remains the stingiest, whether in inches or cm at 53 x 23 x 38.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, as I suspect that all of the cages are the same size anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kellk said:

Just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and had to check in for an AC flight out of YYZ to our home city.

Was surprised by a new lineup (once we did bag drop) before entering the security lineup where our carry on roller bag was seemingly laser measured for size.

Many people in the lineup had their bags rejected as not meeting AC carry on size limits, like us.  We ended up having to pay $50 for that bag (sent to another lineup to see an agent who tagged our bag and collected the money).  

This same roller suitcase has successfully made it onto many flight and into the overhead bins onboard without issue before.  We were always under the impression that this suitcase met the airline size requirements for carry on, and in fact had been purchased with that in mind.

Anyone have similar issues with AC?  I wondered if the tag we had on the bag was the culprit in not meeting the laser's requirements?  Seems like a new money grab to me and I wasn't impressed.

Another perspective…the wheels and that seemingly innocuous side and top handle of carry-ons all add to the dimensions. Not to mention a teeny tiny bulge. I haven’t used a carry on for a long time for that reason, so I just pay for my stowed bag. But I still need to find a spot for my tiny backpack and medical bag as people cram everything they can into the overhead bins. Laser tech is very precise in capturing the slightest deviation that’s out of scope. And who am I to argue this one, when so much time is spent boarding passengers with oversize carryons. (And that isn’t the root cause of ACs current issues with just 4 of the 8 international airports out of use for that purpose). 

• Like 1

We each have two sets of luggage and one is a smaller carryon and one is slightly larger.  Both luggage manufacturers claim that they are carryon compliant, but that is not a guarantee and you must read in detail the dimensions on each of your airlines websites.  As Fourmco above shows you they can be all different.

Then there are some airlines that talk total linear measurements, which would come into play for non-standard bags... but try to push back on that when your bag does not fit the metal guide at the boarding gate.  No one is going to measure your bag for a total linear measurement and clear it.

And be prepared that there can be weight differences as well from airline to airline.

We fly BA a lot and a carryon on a BA flight can be up to 23KG - same as the checked bag, BUT we are flying EVA in January and that same sized carryon bag in dimensions can only contain 7KG weight, and my understanding is that EVA will weigh this at bag drop and clear it or force you to check it.  7KG is 15LBS and my carryon weights 6LBS on its own.

I am personally ok with airlines doing this because people now are pushing the limit of carryon and my opinion is that all should be subject to the same rules.

We got forced to check one carryon bag at boarding and we were in Group 2 and then we saw people boarding in Groups 4,5 and beyond with way over the acceptable limit of carryon that were not forced to check.  This is a form of discrimination.  Either everyone if forced to the same rules or no one.

• Like 4

Like others, I am more than thrilled to see them enforce the rules better. The amount of carry-on some people bring is ridiculous, and to avoid issues, we bring minimal carry-on (only what we know we can get under the seats). It helps that we have an Aeroplan Visa, so we have a free checked bag each on AC which is more than enough for us.

We just returned from a cruise and saw the laser measurements being used (somewhat adhoc) and in Athens on our return flight ,they were offering free checkin of carryon bags at the bag drop off, rather than that inevitable gate offer to check large carry-ons for free. It seems they are moving in the right direction to reduce baggage issues at the gate and I like it!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, dawnvip said:

I agree that the number of people with multiple, large carry-on is sometimes ridiculous, but AC needs to start policing the multi-baggers rather than the millimeter difference in bag sizing.

I couldn't agree more. The multi-baggers are far more of a problem than the occasional carry-on that's 0.5 mm too wide. And duty-free items should either be packed in your carry-on or stuffed under the seat.

• Like 3

Good, no more steamer trunks in the overhead.

Some passengers can barely get them over their heads to place into the overhead holding up the flow

of passengers trying to get to their seats.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2023 at 6:42 PM, Fouremco said:

Too bad there's no consistency from airline to airline. For example, Porter, AC and WestJet all have different size limits when given in inches.

Porter:  22 x 9 x 16

AC:       21.5 x 9 x 15.5

WJ:       21 x 9 x 15

On the other hand, Porter and AC have identical measurements (55 x 23 x 40) when given in cm, with Porter rounding up (as it should) when converting to inches, while AC chooses to round down. WJ remains the stingiest, whether in inches or cm at 53 x 23 x 38.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, as I suspect that all of the cages are the same size anyway. 

Which is interesting..  My experience is the Q400 and CRJ are the worse aircraft with the smallest bins.  AC flies the CRJ.  All three fly the Q400.   Pacific Costal also operates some of the Saab aircraft for WestJet, those have extremely small bins, your not getting a wheeled bag into one of those.   

Recently AC started contracting PAL to operate some of the flights in Atlantic Canada.  The Q400 that PAL operates have extremely tight bins.  I was recently on one of their flight and virtually none of the bags with wheels on them made it into the bins. 

Flying out of Victoria frequently my first flight is on a Q400 and sometimes the Airbus.  The gate agent have a target for the number of passengers with checked bags based on the aircraft type.  Before boarding starts they will frequently announce we need an additional 5-6 people to check bags.  They will keep pushing until they get to that number.  

The MAX and widebody aircraft usually have lots of the bin space.  People need to put that bags on their side.

10 hours ago, loman said:

Good, no more steamer trunks in the overhead.

Some passengers can barely get them over their heads to place into the overhead holding up the flow

of passengers trying to get to their seats.

And of course it's not the bin over their seat they are trying to load that oversize bag in, but the bin over the seat of the person in the aisle waiting for them (i.e., typically my bin). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rodndonna said:

And of course it's not the bin over their seat they are trying to load that oversize bag in, but the bin over the seat of the person in the aisle waiting for them (i.e., typically my bin). 

While I agree with you in theory, the reality is that I have often gone to put my bag over my seat, only to find it full of aircraft safety equipment (oxygen and first aid stuff) or crew bags, or even pillows and blankets! So my carry-on goes into the nearest open space.

Other than bags and blankets (which could go anywhere) it would be great if apps like Seat Guru indicated those seats where bins are always unavailable.

• Like 5

Flew home yesterday from MIA

they had bag sizers at the check in  line & at the gate 

However  they did not  make anyone use them

At the gate  they kept asking for  volunteers to check the  carry ons  for free

They threatened to start checking the sizes  because they had  a full flight & space was limited

we had a small bag   but we did end up checking it  but many  decided  they were not that  interested

some had 2 larger carry ons  each  & were not parting with them

If I fly again  I will  just ignore the pleas also

they did not seem to pull anyone aside & make them check their bags

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Flew home yesterday from MIA

they had bag sizers at the check in  line & at the gate 

However  they did not  make anyone use them

At the gate  they kept asking for  volunteers to check the  carry ons  for free

They threatened to start checking the sizes  because they had  a full flight & space was limited

we had a small bag   but we did end up checking it  but many  decided  they were not that  interested

some had 2 larger carry ons  each  & were not parting with them

If I fly again  I will  just ignore the pleas also

they did not seem to pull anyone aside & make them check their bags

We flew home from LAX back to YUL yesterday. As above, there were lots of pleas from the gate agents for volunteers to check their bags for free, with virtually no takers of course. We saw no evidence of bags being sized at check-in or at the gate. Luckily, it was a new-ish 737-Max with absolutely enormous overhead bins, the new type where the bags can sit vertically instead of lying flat, to allow more bags to be carried.  Very interestingly, when the gate agent was making the announcement asking for volunteers, he actually insinuated that if you were in Zone 5, they may be forced to check your bag for you. We board in Zone 2 so I don't know whether they actually had to enforce that. 

• Like 1