Rhapsody of the Seas chartered by US for Citizen Evac from Haifa to Cyprus.

kitkat343

Great explanation from this video.

TL;DW: US Government chartering Vision Class Rhapsody of the Seas with RCI crew on board for evacuation of US citizens and dependents from Haifa to Cypress starting at 08:00 local time today. Not the first time this type of evacuation has taken place. Limited to no flights out of Israel at this point, so hopping to Cypress, then commercial air transport from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's also being discussed in the thread about israel being cancelled. Good link there. 

There is a link to the information, how pax are signing a promissory note to board.

• Each traveler must be a U.S. national or the immediate family member (spouse/partner, children under age 21) of a U.S. national and have a valid passport.
    • If you do not currently have your valid U.S. passport in your possession, please immediately reply to this email so that we may assist you in making an appointment in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv to obtain one.
  • Immediate family members who are not U.S. citizens must be eligible for entry to the destination.
  • Each traveler may bring one bag up to 50 lbs./22 kg plus one small carry-on bag.
  • Travelers cannot bring pets.
  • Before boarding the ship, you will be asked to sign a promissory note (agreement to repay the U.S. government) for the cost (available
Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, hoosier sailor said:

It was sort of funny hearing the CNN newscaster saying that an extremely large cruise ship was ferrying people to Cypress. Here and everywhere else they say Rhapsody is a smaller ship!

Small cruise ships and ferries carry max. a few hundred passengers but not 2.400.

I consider it RCL's finest moment that they have Rhapsody evacuating America citizens.  I'll make it a point to say so in person to the officers of Celebrity Beyond when we're on her month after next. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Small cruise ships and ferries carry max. a few hundred passengers but not 2.400.

chill out you know people can find humor in things. I bet you have been making a lot of comments today haven't you?

Edited by hoosier sailor

38 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

There’s no rhyme or reason what the US government will or won’t pay for. I say this as an American.

House of Representatives should get right on this urgent question.  I say this as an American

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolf 8 said:

I consider it RCL's finest moment that they have Rhapsody evacuating America citizens.  I'll make it a point to say so in person to the officers of Celebrity Beyond when we're on her month after next. 

RCCL has done these types of things for as long as I have sailed with them: officially 50 years now.

They are huge on bringing supplies to at-risk areas they sail to, and have on many occasions helped stranded people from all over.  They just don't publicize it, or want attention for it.

• Like 8

Taxpayers are already footing part of the bill for chartering planes or now cruise ships......

What actually gets assessed back to the evacuee (or their employer / insurer) is the market rate of a full fare airfare or ferry ticket prior to the need for an evacuation. 

Most people who can afford to be tourists or live overseas can figure out a way to pay for that.  If they can't, then perhaps they shouldn't be living in a potential war zone...

• Like 1