Port Everglades scanning of carry-ons. Confiscate mini bar size booze?

tabprincess

I thought I read somewhere that the people running the scanners before boarding the ship at Port Everglades are not Princess employees and don't really care   if you have some contraband in them, I.E. booze (Not talking about anything dangerous here...).  Anyone have experience with this?   I have so many of those little bottles of booze from my mini bar on previous cruises that I thought it would be nice to bring a couple along since our cruise is a bit longer this time.  

Please don't lecture me about how this is wrong, just wondering if anyone had any experience with this!

Thanks!

I innocently did the same thing.  I was making welcome aboard gifts for 5 cabins.   Each was to include a mini bottle or two.  

My misunderstanding…it came from Princess, why not?  

I was gently reminded…and items remove while checking in at San Pedro (LA).  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tabprincess said:

I thought I read somewhere that the people running the scanners before boarding the ship at Port Everglades are not Princess employees and don't really care   if you have some contraband in them, I.E. booze (Not talking about anything dangerous here...).  Anyone have experience with this?   I have so many of those little bottles of booze from my mini bar on previous cruises that I thought it would be nice to bring a couple along since our cruise is a bit longer this time.  

Please don't lecture me about how this is wrong, just wondering if anyone had any experience with this!

Thanks!

Be prepared to lose them. We have had many things taken including wooden letter openers. The scanners at the pier are very careful about what they scan 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

You can customize your mini-bar to include items you like.

True (within what's available), although it's still only 10 liquors, no matter how long a cruise.. (and 10 non-alcoholic). 

Or, all for water or sodas, or all for bottle of wine.

OP is looking to bring some extras, due to a longer cruise.. 

Edited by reedprincess

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I innocently did the same thing.  I was making welcome aboard gifts for 5 cabins.   Each was to include a mini bottle or two.  

My sense from this forum over the years is that SP is one of the toughest ports for anything, including priority processing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tabprincess said:

Thanks!

We've never had anything confiscated in Ft Lauderdale but then again we normally don't just blindly test the system.

image.png.6672e59b33a90a7baff34c562a86ed9e.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

San Pedro is the worst port by far

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

You can customize your mini-bar to include items you like.

Do you pay extra for consuming what is in your mini-bar fridge?  I'm used to places having charges for anything you take from there!

<edit> please ignore - able to search these things for myself but sometimes I forget that I can - I'm not 'elite' and won't be in a suite, so I won't expect a minibar 😄 

Edited by p.pete

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Do you pay extra for consuming what is in your mini-bar fridge?  I'm used to places having charges for anything you take from there!

<edit> please ignore - able to search these things for myself but sometimes I forget that I can - I'm not 'elite' and won't be in a suite, so I won't expect a minibar 😄 

The fridge is empty unless you are elite 

• Thanks 1

I’ve bought a few leftover mini-bottles back onto the ship. I packed them in my toiletries bag along with my makeup and little bottles of hair products. They went through the scanner and no one said anything. Now my hot roller set is a different story, can’t even tell you how many times I’ve had to explain how hair curlers work, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Put a mini-bottle in each pocket and one in each sock maybe, so no scanning. I wouldn't use my underwear, in case a lid set off the detector and you have a Spinal Tap moment, or get incontinent bottle leaks. You could also fill empty travel-size mouthwash bottles, or a screw-top wine bottle--vodka + cranberry juice = Cape Cod cabernet (I think I might try that myself on my next cruise, since I've never had anyone look at a bottle of wine). Or buy some alcohol at a port and fill a water bottle or a 2L Sprite bottle, or add a liter of rum to a liter of Coke and have your own Cubra Libre--I add some rum to 20 oz  bottles of Coke Zero to take to movies sometimes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rj59 said:

Put a mini-bottle in each pocket and one in each sock maybe, so no scanning. I wouldn't use my underwear, in case a lid set off the detector and you have a Spinal Tap moment, or get incontinent bottle leaks. You could also fill empty travel-size mouthwash bottles, or a screw-top wine bottle--vodka + cranberry juice = Cape Cod cabernet (I think I might try that myself on my next cruise, since I've never had anyone look at a bottle of wine). Or buy some alcohol at a port and fill a water bottle or a 2L Sprite bottle, or add a liter of rum to a liter of Coke and have your own Cubra Libre--I add some rum to 20 oz  bottles of Coke Zero to take to movies sometimes.

Rum runners, cheap investment if you cruise a lot

• Like 2

On 10/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, tabprincess said:

Thanks!

You can go to princess.com and under on-board services you can order whatever bottle of alcohol or wine you would like and it will be in your room when you board. It would enable you to pick and make what you like.  Or just buy a plus package, works great for us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2023 at 7:50 AM, MissP22 said:

Mine must be over 15 years old and paid for themselves after the first use.

Wow I must be a lush …😁… I am on my third or fourth set.      But I use them all the time especially for road trips as they are much easier to carry than bottles.   Also use them out by pool….no worry about glass breakage.

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the input!

I am not a big drinker, so ordering a whole bottle delivered to my room or doing the Plus package would be a total waste of money.  One little bottle will make 2 Old Fashioneds for me and I would only have one at night.  

I've thought about rum runners in the past, but was afraid those would be detected by their scanners!

On 10/20/2023 at 7:28 PM, tabprincess said:

Thanks for all the input!

I am not a big drinker, so ordering a whole bottle delivered to my room or doing the Plus package would be a total waste of money.  One little bottle will make 2 Old Fashioneds for me and I would only have one at night.  

I've thought about rum runners in the past, but was afraid those would be detected by their scanners!

They're not. Just pack them with other liquid items around them.

Just a thought.  Is it possible the reason that Princess, and most likely all cruiselines, keep raising the price of alcoholic drinks and packages, is because they are aware of so many people bringing their own alcohol onboard and this is their only option to make up for lost revenue?  So, the people paying for drinks or packages, are in effect subsidizing those who choose to beat the system.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2