Beds on Divina

Johnny60

We are thinking about an 11 night cruise on Divina.
Having only ever cruised Carnival many times and once on RCL I am a bit concerned about comfort level of beds.  I have spine and hip issues and don’t sleep well at the best of times but find Carnival beds ok.   Our experience on RCL was genuinely awful with me sitting up most of the night, and whereas the cruise itself was great, the bed was just so hard.  Can anyone tell me what to expect on Davina?   Are the beds ok or very hard?  Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this as it’s a long cruise to be so uncomfortable in bed and not getting much sleep.   Thanks guys.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't know if they have different beds across the fleet or not, but the Meraviglia has VERY firm matresses.

I second that.  Our room stewardess on meraviglia put an extra mattress pad and two duvets on our bed, and it was still terribly uncomfortable.  We only asked for an extra pad and she added the other stuff, so I'm guessing the mattresses are a common complaint. I wonder if the yacht club has better mistresses.  BTW if you are thinking of a cruise on Princess be sure to ask about their beds.  We sailed many years ago. But, I will not forget that the bed was so hard, I had bruises on the sides of my knees.

I was on Divina just this past weekend. I wouldnt describe the beds as very hard at all. They are on the 'firmer' side, but not hard. It was definatly comfortable. Had a great night sleep in them. 

To note, i also have a fused spine to pelvis, so do experience back problems and Sciatica frequently. 

Edited by stuart2468
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't know if they have different beds across the fleet or not, but the Meraviglia has VERY firm matresses.

I've sailed the Divina and Seaside.  I found the same thing on both.  
For comparison though, I LOVE the beds on Carnival.  I find them soft and comfortable.  

It’s roulette.

our first msc was divinia in the non Sophia suite.  Two beds pushed together.  I’d roll into gap.  Not comfy.

They brought the beds from that room onto the Mera for us.  Mind the gap,

DW loves the pillows,  we have six.  She likes the one with two feathers.

4 hours ago, deliver42 said:

We,ve been on the Divina twice, and the beds are very comfortable. The pillows are another story.

That may be an Italian thing, and MSC are reaching back to their roots? We often find the pillows just a tad flat in many B&Bs in Italy. 

IMG_3683.jpeg

We have sailed on the Splendida and last month on the Preziosa. The beds were not overly firm but very comfortable. What I like in the Deluxe balcony rooms is the 2 feet plus at the foot of the bed to walk through. Unlike other lines that you need to walk sideways.

12 hours ago, gizfish said:

I'm guessing the mattresses are a common complaint. I wonder if the yacht club has better mistresses.

I've sailed quite a few times in YC on five different MSC ships, and I have never been provided any mistress, let alone a better mistress! YVMV.😉

Edited by JAGR
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I sailed on the Divina 3 times for a total of 43 nights in the last year and had no issues with the beds on the Divina. 

Thank you.   Having read some very disturbing reviews on here about a dirty ship I am now having second thoughts.   I love the 11night itinerary but the reviews have really scared me.   Any thoughts?

11 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I've sailed the Divina and Seaside.  I found the same thing on both.  
For comparison though, I LOVE the beds on Carnival.  I find them soft and comfortable.  

Me too.   Just like the itinerary on this 11 night Divina cruise.   After some reviews having second thoughts!!!

1 hour ago, Johnny60 said:

Me too.   Just like the itinerary on this 11 night Divina cruise.   After some reviews having second thoughts!!!

We had a Carnival cruise booked and friends of ours booked the Seascape. We were debating switching our trip to go with them. I wrote a list of pros and cons. The beds were on the list. My friend were teasing me.
(we did end up choosing to book with them but ended up not being able to take the cruise anyway).  

8 hours ago, Johnny60 said:

Thank you.   Having read some very disturbing reviews on here about a dirty ship I am now having second thoughts.   I love the 11night itinerary but the reviews have really scared me.   Any thoughts?

Its very interesting. I certainly noticed Divina wasn't up to the usual sparkling level i've become accusomed to with MSC ships, but i wouldnt go as far as to descibe her as dirty. A couple of the public toilets looked like they could have done with a clean, but maybe I caught them before they were about to be. There were some visual signs of wear which highlighed a dry dock was needed. The outside windows weren't as spotless as usual, and i didnt see the windows cleaned once...... but maybe i just missed it.

Dirty - No, But a little bit of attention seems needed, would be how i'd discribe her.

Didn't detract from a lovely weekend cruise though and would jump on board tomorrow given the chance.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 1:47 PM, JAGR said:

I've sailed quite a few times in YC on five different MSC ships, and I have never been provided any mistress, let alone a better mistress! YVMV.😉

Maybe that was a Freudian slip...Not gonna lie, but when we first saw that the room stewardess uniform was the proverbial French maid outfit including the frilly white apron, I did wonder if someone had pranked us and sent DH a stripper.

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2023 at 8:18 PM, Johnny60 said:

Although it was August 2022 when I sailed on Divina, the ship’s condition was very nice considering her age. I was more troubled by the ship not having MSCforME app capabilities. I’m a seasoned cruiser who no longer carries a highlighter to use on the dailies.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 7:18 PM, Johnny60 said:

I was last in the Divina in May and never saw anything I would consider dirty. I have noticed a few more dishes left in the hallways outside of rooms for longer than usual on both MSC & Carnival in the past year. I think this is probably due to staffing issues that seems to be an issue everywhere now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Do the beds in the YC staterooms have the dip in the middle where the two mattresses join? We both hate it when we get a bed that does that.  

YES!! We’ve just got back from our first MSC Virtuosa cruise. We were in the Royal Suite in YC. The bed was the smallest we have experienced on a ship and did not zip up so the only thing holding it together was the mattress topper. Our steward ingeniously tied sheets around the mattress to hold it more firmly which just about worked. 😏

1 hour ago, Ehg said:

YES!! We’ve just got back from our first MSC Virtuosa cruise. We were in the Royal Suite in YC. The bed was the smallest we have experienced on a ship and did not zip up so the only thing holding it together was the mattress topper. Our steward ingeniously tied sheets around the mattress to hold it more firmly which just about worked. 😏

Thank you.   Hopefully a lot of feedback on this issue is being given to MSC and they will address it.  We have not run into this issue in a few years on other cruise lines. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you.   Hopefully a lot of feedback on this issue is being given to MSC and they will address it.  We have not run into this issue in a few years on other cruise lines. 

Agree. We were so surprised. A royal suite with a small, unsatisfactory bed, poor hanging space. The rest was exceptional. Fantastic balcony, wonderful staff, great food, super Wi-Fi, superb black-out curtains, no hard-sell at all in spa, delicious nibbles in top sail lounge, the hottest toast ever on a ship, best perk ever was reserved cabana for the entire cruise, brilliant, and we used it every day, BUT rubbish bed, crap hanging space, small shower, and bad cocktails (that we experienced). The pros certainly outweighed the cons, but the bed issue may stop us booking again…. 

• Thanks 1