Is this a ligit beef with N.C.L. I think so .What do you think

dolittle

5 hours ago, dolittle said:

Ok not earth shattering but, on the Escape last week (great cruise and nice group of people) BUT the choice of T.V. channels had no major  (or minor) American sports channels . The ship was in New York and the N.Y Jets were playing the Phila. Eagles . Many if not most people are from these two areas no game on any T.V. on the ship, also no baseball games from the playoffs . There were however two channels of English premier league . soccer and cricket. The ship is on the east coast of the U.S. not Europe  so get with it N.C.L. ''when in Rome'' . 

I disagree and do not think you have a legit beef with NCL...who, btw, only shows what the international satellite provider sends out, they (NCL) do not control the programming.

In addition to American sports, you also don't see CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, the CW, Fox, etc. IOW, it isn't just some sports.

I'll defer and let @chengkp75 weigh in on the particulars of onboard TV programming.

• Like 2

Last November, the Eagles had a Thursday night game and it was shown.  No World Series shown. (We watched it before on other NCL cruises) In February, we watched the Super Bowl.  Might be another cutback to save money. 

Only time I ever watched tv on a cruise was when I had Covid and was trapped in my room. The selection was poor. 

But it makes sense that there aren't many options, and it would probably cost the cruise line $$$ to run more content. I don't need that cost passed along to me. 

• Like 3

I don't know the why or wheres regarding how it is decided which big sporting events will be broadcast. Perhaps it depends on the ship or itinerary. We were aboard the Bliss, Feb 2022 for a Miami to LA, Panama Canal cruise. The crew and staff aboard the Bliss on that occasion, provided a grand Super Bowl Sunday for the passengers. The game was broadcast in numerous locations. They had the entire area around the pool set up for folks to be able to sit on chairs and watch the game on the big outdoor screen there, as well as providing special snacks for all to enjoy. The game was also on a big screen in the Bliss Theater, the Atrium, the Brew House as well as the staterooms tvs. It was great! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dolittle said:

Ok not earth shattering but, on the Escape last week (great cruise and nice group of people) BUT the choice of T.V. channels had no major  (or minor) American sports channels . The ship was in New York and the N.Y Jets were playing the Phila. Eagles . Many if not most people are from these two areas no game on any T.V. on the ship, also no baseball games from the playoffs . There were however two channels of English premier league . soccer and cricket. The ship is on the east coast of the U.S. not Europe  so get with it N.C.L. ''when in Rome'' . 

Sorry  I think majority feel this is not a "ligit beef". 

• Thanks 1

you're 100% correct, only a minor beef. just let it go. if you wanted to watch the sports, you could have stayed home. there is so much more to see and do on a cruise, dont waste your precious time watching t.v.

i'm a devout dodgers fan, but i can forego the games if i'm in europe.

Conversely, on our first cruise, a Western Med circuit in 2011 on Epic, Barcelona (with Messi!) was playing in the final of the European Cup against (iirc) a German team on the final night of the cruise--as we were inbound to Barcelona. It appeared to us that NCL was doing everything in their power to get that game up on the big screen in the atrium, even in the face of some really spotty satellite reception.

The citizenry of Barcelona appeared to be a little hungover as we disembarked the next morning!
But we stumbled onto the victory parade that afternoon on our walk back from Sagrada Familia, so that was a once in a lifetime occurrence. 

258231_2069081372817_1374503_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dolittle said:

We have never watched tv on a cruise. So no issues for us. Sorry

3 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

I don't know the why or wheres regarding how it is decided which big sporting events will be broadcast. Perhaps it depends on the ship or itinerary. We were aboard the Bliss, Feb 2022 for a Miami to LA, Panama Canal cruise. The crew and staff aboard the Bliss on that occasion, provided a grand Super Bowl Sunday for the passengers. The game was broadcast in numerous locations. They had the entire area around the pool set up for folks to be able to sit on chairs and watch the game on the big outdoor screen there, as well as providing special snacks for all to enjoy. The game was also on a big screen in the Bliss Theater, the Atrium, the Brew House as well as the staterooms tvs. It was great! 

I can see them doing that for the Super Bowl,,,, but the Jets????? I don't think so!

• Haha 4

Personally - On a cruise I turn on the television while getting dressed for dinner to catch up on whatever news channel is available - and maybe a movie to fall asleep to. I can watch all the television I want when I am not on vacation - I do not go on a vacation to watch television - but to each his own.

maisonrose: i believe that msc line caters to a larger european crowd, so it's not surprising that they would show world cup matches

we were on the ncl dawn this past july/ aug, and they had a specific channel dedicated to sports. the showed the women's world cup matches

20 hours ago, dolittle said:

legit beef?  No. I'd put it in the category of something to add to a comment card or survey as a request for future improvements.

• Like 1

To be fair, if I were on a transatlantic cruise, with many sea days, watching tv might be more important than on a 7 day where we were in port almost every day. 
It’s a legit beef for you if it bothers you. As someone else said, put it on a comment card. I’m sure if they get enough requests they willl consider adding more American sports. For me, I don’t watch much tv on cruises. But if it matters to you, it’s legit. 

• Like 3

I think generally speaking, most people are unfamiliar with how the cruise lines work.  Couple of issues...

1). the vast majority of cruises are sailed in, thorough and to multiple countries...all with their own unique rules and regulations.  

2). Weather....weather can't be predicted.  That should come as no surprise to anyone.  Nothing the cruise lines can do about weather.  They can sometimes sail through it, or around it, and sometimes must readjust their ports as a result of it.  Just read a thread where a passenger was upset that they were subject to high winds and some big waves.  I'd venture to say guests are not large ship crew and have no clue how to navigate harsh weather (although many claim the contrary).

Port fees are refunded.  But, refunds based on a missed port?  How would that work?  If a Bahamian is missed (which is mainly a shopping port) because of weather or port issues, is that worth less than say missing a higher value port, like say the Mendenhall Glacier?

How do you value a port you are docked at for 6 hours vs one you are docked over night? 

What if you do dock at a port and the weather is terrible?  Are you owed something for that?

What exactly do you think you're owed if your ports are changed or cancelled?

Literally, it's a slippery slope.  Some would say they'd rather not dock at a port if it's a difficult docking.  Others, come hell or (literally) high water, they want to dock at the exact ports advertised, or else?

21 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

Would our favorite Packers fan like to comment?

Who would that be??

By the way, that pass against the Seahawks will forever be known as the Fail Mary.

Thank you, replacement refs. (And yes, I know that there is actually only one ref in a football game. For some reason, all of the zebras are now called "refs".)

UPDATE: I saw a later post where you referred to the 2015 game. I believe that was the one with the bungled onside kick. Where they had their "hands team" on the field to grab the kick...but one infamous player had the ball go right through his "hands". I don't recall his name at the moment, since it's a game I'd like to forget.

Too bad I wasn't on an NCL cruise when that game was played...I wouldn't have had to witness it live.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Who would that be??

By the way, that pass against the Seahawks will forever be known as the Fail Mary.

Thank you, replacement refs. (And yes, I know that there is actually only one ref in a football game. For some reason, all of the zebras are now called "refs".)

UPDATE: I saw a later post where you referred to the 2015 game. I believe that was the one with the bungled onside kick. Where they had their "hands team" on the field to grab the kick...but one infamous player had the ball go right through his "hands". I don't recall his name at the moment, since it's a game I'd like to forget.

Too bad I wasn't on an NCL cruise when that game was played...I wouldn't have had to witness it live.

Don’t know to whom you are referring as the Packer fan. But I have been a Packer fan since the days of Bart Starr. 1967 is the first game I have memories of. I remember that pass with the Seahawks. We were robbed! 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I missed almost 2 weeks of Yankee games this August while on the Prima. When I later learned that they basically lost all of them, I was glad to have missed them.

As for tv watching, DW needs dumb tv to fall asleep. The Prima had several movies on the tv, both free and pay extra. And 80 For Brady definitely qualified as DUMB.

• Haha 1