Turning 4 star and nobody is interested in it

JanDom

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

The unfortunate thing is asking the passenger to make the effort  to get this promised loyalty recognition. When in fact it is the cruise line who should be more than happy to recognize this passenger loyalty with no prodding.

Something got this all backwards.  But agree, lack of experienced staffing and the still reverberating "covid" disruptions means we all have to cut some slack over many things the seemed to work so effortlessly in the past.

When we got our 100-day bronze years ago, we were contacted numerous times by the Guest Services office to ensure we were coming to this special event. At the time we did not understand this was a special command ceremony. We had just seen them passed out in the MDR in the past. 

I remember when we would get a phone call to see if we were planning on attending the Awards Ceremony. Long time ago! HAL used to be more serious about these parties and put on a very gracious time.

• Like 4

I think HAL has a certain amount of 'begrudging' going on in that they are forced to run two separate Mariner Programs, with two different sets of recognition dates and rewards, simultaneously. 
Toss in that the covid shutdown caused a lot of institutional knowledge to walk out the door, and I can understand the confusion about who is supposed to do what, when. 
Remember, the Medallion program was replaced. It was gone when the new program was instituted, and was only brought back when Mariners screamed loud and clear. 

Under the Medallion Mariner program, the medallion was awarded on the cruise where the level was reached. Since it was based on 'heads in beds' days only, that was easy to calculate in advance of ending the current cruise. The ceremony was scheduled, anyone reaching an award level on that cruise was planned for, and invitations and phone calls went out. 

Under the new program you achieve a new level on the following cruise, or on the next segment of a Grand cruise. This is because spending credits can't be calculated until the cruise ends. (yes, there are a few exceptions made if you achieve a new level on days only, but that was not the original rule.) 

With so many employees not knowing the history, and not fully conversant on the two sets of rules, and adding that staffing levels are still short, it is no wonder that the Mariners themselves need to be a little proactive if they want recognition. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I think HAL has a certain amount of 'begrudging' going on in that they are forced to run two separate Mariner Programs, with two different sets of recognition dates and rewards, simultaneously. 
Toss in that the covid shutdown caused a lot of institutional knowledge to walk out the door, and I can understand the confusion about who is supposed to do what, when. 
Remember, the Medallion program was replaced. It was gone when the new program was instituted, and was only brought back when Mariners screamed loud and clear. 

Under the Medallion Mariner program, the medallion was awarded on the cruise where the level was reached. Since it was based on 'heads in beds' days only, that was easy to calculate in advance of ending the current cruise. The ceremony was scheduled, anyone reaching an award level on that cruise was planned for, and invitations and phone calls went out. 

Under the new program you achieve a new level on the following cruise, or on the next segment of a Grand cruise. This is because spending credits can't be calculated until the cruise ends. (yes, there are a few exceptions made if you achieve a new level on days only, but that was not the original rule.) 

With so many employees not knowing the history, and not fully conversant on the two sets of rules, and adding that staffing levels are still short, it is no wonder that the Mariners themselves need to be a little proactive if they want recognition. 

I will hit 100 sea days 1/2 way through an Amazon cruise in Feb-Mar. I may just go down to GS or find the Mariner rep to give them a friendly reminder.  🙂  I am really looking forward to the Medallion.  IKIK, seems silly but...........

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

I will hit 100 sea days 1/2 way through an Amazon cruise in Feb-Mar. I may just go down to GS or find the Mariner rep to give them a friendly reminder.  🙂  I am really looking forward to the Medallion.  IKIK, seems silly but...........

We received our bronze medallions on the exact date achieved on our cruise earlier this week. 

Agree 100% with RuthC statement above. Even though we earned 4 star on this past cruise,  I fully understand why it's not recognized until next cruise. With suite bonus and $ bonus, it's more complicated than simply counting days. 

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 1

And, sort of on this subject:

Before the shutdown the 4* and 5* were all invited to the medallion reception on the last sea day of every cruise.  Since the restart we lowly 4*s  are no longer permitted to attend.

Well, I have a problem coming up.  In a couple of weeks I’ll be embarking on a 4-segment B2B2B2B totaling six weeks on Koningsdam.  One of my favorite cruising buddies will be awarded his platinum on the last segment and wants me to be there.

So I have sent an email to the Mariner Society to plead for admission to that reception.  I have not yet received a reply.  If they can’t help me I plan to make the request to the onboard Mariner Society rep when I board.  Can’t believe that I’m having to beg to be admitted to a medallion reception.  Before the shutdown we 4* were always invited.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

And, sort of on this subject:

Before the shutdown the 4* and 5* were all invited to the medallion reception on the last sea day of every cruise.  Since the restart we lowly 4*s  are no longer permitted to attend.

Well, I have a problem coming up.  In a couple of weeks I’ll be embarking on a 4-segment B2B2B2B totaling six weeks on Koningsdam.  One of my favorite cruising buddies will be awarded his platinum on the last segment and wants me to be there.

So I have sent an email to the Mariner Society to plead for admission to that reception.  I have not yet received a reply.  If they can’t help me I plan to make the request to the onboard Mariner Society rep when I board.  Can’t believe that I’m having to beg to be admitted to a medallion reception.  Before the shutdown we 4* were always invited.

I hate to read this! Nowadays, you do seem to need to be fairly high 5 star or Platinum ( maybe Gold) to be invited, for sure.

5 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I hate to read this! Nowadays, you do seem to need to be fairly high 5 star or Platinum ( maybe Gold) to be invited, for sure.

Yup.  Add that to the disappearance of the Yum Yum man, classical music, chilled soups, the wonderful crew show -- and on and on.  And this latest change in the medallion reception can't be attributed to Ashford.  He was gone before this happened.  When I think back to 10 (or even 5?) years ago it's hard to believe that it's the same cruise line.

• Like 1

I have read a few more posts and still don't get the "Status" thing. Clearly it matters to some. I wonder if the "4 stars" being excluded from some events perhaps comes from "5 stars" complaining that the lowly 4 stars are getting the same perk as they are. If the status, or medallion or pin are important to you then know the rules and do whatever voodoo you need to do to get them. For me if I should ever reach those dizzy heights all I want is the free laundry and whatever discounts I am then entitled to.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Seems to depend on the cruise and how many high star people are on it.  I have seen 5 Stars only and sometimes 4 and 5 stars.

Last  Medallion Ceremony on the Noordam  was probably five star only- smallish group in the BB Kings Lounge,  with a separate recognition for those with high Mariner points too - 1000+. A hybrid.

And only mimosas. Mariner/Medallion ceremonies are the only time I quaff a Bloody Mary. Missed it.  But, I am not trying to whittle down $10 billion dollars in CCL corporate debt either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Seems to depend on the cruise and how many high star people are on it.  I have seen 5 Stars only and sometimes 4 and 5 stars.

Yes, exactly what is happening. HAL seems to want to keep these some of these parties small and I do admit they are nicely done since the ships started sailing again.

Edited by SilvertoGold

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Last  Medallion Ceremony on the Noordam  was probably five star only- smallish group in the BB Kings Lounge,  with a separate recognition for those with high Mariner points too - 1000+. A hybrid.

And only mimosas. Mariner/Medallion ceremonies are the only time I quaff a Bloody Mary. Missed it.  But, I am not trying to whittle down $10 billion dollars in CCL corporate debt either.

March-April Noordam (2 B-B), the Noodam did two very nice parties and filled the BBKings Lounge both times.  Definitely 4 and 5 stars, handed out several medallions. Lots of drinks, tons of appetizers (prawns, too, yum). Many officers in a line at the entrance and then some circulating for 15 minutes before the start. Almost like old times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have read a few more posts and still don't get the "Status" thing. Clearly it matters to some. I wonder if the "4 stars" being excluded from some events perhaps comes from "5 stars" complaining that the lowly 4 stars are getting the same perk as they are. If the status, or medallion or pin are important to you then know the rules and do whatever voodoo you need to do to get them. For me if I should ever reach those dizzy heights all I want is the free laundry and whatever discounts I am then entitled to.

No, I don't think 5 stars are so gauche, rude or silly as to make such complaints. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have read a few more posts and still don't get the "Status" thing. Clearly it matters to some. 

Like much everything in life ... 5% of the folks are in the parade, 10% of the folks are watching the parade go by and the other 85% don't even know there is a parade going on or don't care 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

No, I don't think 5 stars are so gauche, rude or silly as to make such complaints. 

I’ve only ever seen it once - a few days ago a fb page for a current voyage had a post with someone wanting to organize a meeting for 5* only - no 4* allowed. The response was underwhelming.

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes. Keep your eyes on the prize. 4* is the big goal - free laundry, and half price wine and dining. Also, two people can sail in your cabin for free on select sailings. Few of us mention that to our relatives.
With free laundry you can pack less, and not pay for an extra checked bag on your flight. That part isn’t mentioned in Mariners Club, but features prominently in the Cheapskates Club, of which I am a loyal member.😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 11/4/2023 at 7:20 PM, Mary229 said:

No other line yet offers the variety of long unique voyages.  Besides being extensive and somewhat intensive a certain social cohesion takes place when people are all committed to getting along for at least 30 days. When I see suggestions on these boards I do go look and can’t find similar voyages except world cruises which are a bit too long for my tastes. 

We have found Princess also offers some unique 3-5 week itineraries that have caught our attention and $$$. But it's nice again to have two cruise lines to choose from with the longer itineraries and intriguing perks, especially since we're 4-star with HAL and just made Elite on PCL. 

I know this is trivial for a lot of people but we became 2 star on our NYE cruise last year so I was hoping to get the pins when we boarded for our Med. cruise in Sept. After a few days of nothing I went to GS to ask about our pins and the person did not know what I was talking about-she asked our cabin number and went to talk to someone in another room-after 5 minutes she came back with our pins so I wonder if it's just new employees that are not aware of the Mariner program.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Cheapskates Club, of which I am a loyal member.😄

Proud card carrying member of said club also....and we think we "won the lottery" when we got our 4th star on our belly......FREE LAUNDRY and HALF OFF WINE rocks!

(If I could turn my medals and pins in for $2 in OBC I would)

image.png.79e5db63d1e24d5258a4a68718e1612d.png 

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Proud card carrying member of said club also....and we think we "won the lottery" when we got our 4th star on our belly......FREE LAUNDRY and HALF OFF WINE rocks!

Now you can even spill wine on your clothes and get them cleaned for free...life is good 🤣

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, pirate cruiser said:

I know this is trivial for a lot of people but we became 2 star on our NYE cruise last year so I was hoping to get the pins when we boarded for our Med. cruise in Sept. After a few days of nothing I went to GS to ask about our pins and the person did not know what I was talking about-she asked our cabin number and went to talk to someone in another room-after 5 minutes she came back with our pins so I wonder if it's just new employees that are not aware of the Mariner program.

This seems to be part of the problem: not thourough training. It is not a job to just walk into and needs a rather lot of training in many repects. At least the person had the sense to ask someone more experienced/senior. We've seem pax turned away with a "no, we don't do that", when even we,as pax, knew better!

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

image.png.79e5db63d1e24d5258a4a68718e1612d.png 

And when you get to 5 star you can enjoy two Specialty restaurant dinners at no charge! How cheap is that??

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

And when you get to 5 star you can enjoy two Specialty restaurant dinners at no charge! How cheap is that??

Yahoo!  And can't I jump in the hydro pool for free on one day w/when I have 5 stars on my belly?

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

This seems to be part of the problem: not thourough training. It is not a job to just walk into and needs a rather lot of training in many repects. At least the person had the sense to ask someone more experienced/senior. We've seem pax turned away with a "no, we don't do that", when even we,as pax, knew better!

This seems to be happening more and more on HAL.  Too many times I have been given answers that I KNOW are not correct, so I have to ask for a supervisor.  Happened several times to me last week on the Eurodam - especially bad front desk.

• Like 1