Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Or, for those who don't like bundled charges and prefer a la cart you can opt out. You simply swipe your seapass to enter any venue and get charged the entry fee.... plus 18% of course. That might reduce Schooner Bar trivia crowding.

There could be a "two tier system" with different pricing models for those who just like to "watch" and those who want to "actively participate". Similar to using the lounge chairs near the pool as compared to going into the pool water.

🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I recently had to make a drive to NJ. I was amazed at the charges that appeared on my EZ-Pass account after I got home.🫨

Getting into NJ is free but you have to pay a toll or a tax to leave!!!!

If you are passing through, we get you coming and going!!!!!!

🤣

13 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

There could be a "two tier system" with different pricing models for those who just like to "watch" and those who want to "actively participate". Similar to using the lounge chairs near the pool as compared to going into the pool water.

🤑

Royal charges exorbitant $ for the Casitas and they are not even close to the pool.😆

11 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Getting into NJ is free but you have to pay a toll or a tax to leave!!!!

If you are passing through, we get you coming and going!!!!!!

🤣

Ye, like the Eagles song "Hotel California."😜

• Haha 2

unbelivable this CEO does it again, they make a billion dollars and yet there crews have to beg off tips for making that billion dollars...its time they stepped up and paid them a living wage ...but no this ceo and the company will nickel and dime us to death and continue to pay the crews pennies per hour worked until we say enough is enough,,,,

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

unbelivable this CEO does it again, they make a billion dollars and yet there crews have to beg off tips for making that billion dollars...its time they stepped up and paid them a living wage ...but no this ceo and the company will nickel and dime us to death and continue to pay the crews pennies per hour worked until we say enough is enough,,,,

I commented before in this thread; I am at a tipping point (no pun intended), but the big issue with RC and most of the other big cruise lines (except MSC) is their debt thanks to COVID. They are making billions of dollars but they need every penny of it to pay down their huge debts.

Having said that, my last Royal cruise was in January of this year during a relatively low cost season. It was still expensive but certainly doable.

I am booked on Wonder next year in late September and astounded by the prices of everything: the base fare, the drink package and now the gratuity? We are a family of 5, so everything gets multiplied by 5. The only reason I am booking is because we never been on an Oasis class before and it’s a special occasion.

i have also booked a MSC cruise out of my hometown NY, which will cost me less than half. So let’s see how they compare.

Royal is pushing it, but for me: too far.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

The crew IS paid a living wage, this is mandated and governed by international convention.  

1 hour ago, cargopilot said:

Dear Diamond, Diamond plus, and Pinnacle. Please go away because the younger generation with families will pay extra for the experience without regard for cost and level of service. Thank you for your prior loyalty.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Royal Carribean

I was sitting here reading with my coffee and wondering. . . even considering all we get in perks, would loyalty cruisers do better switching cruise lines?  Some only stay in insides.   Is it worth it in the end?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nelblu said:

We should know as we live in a test tube environment in the great Garden State.  From real estate taxes, the almost annual toll increases, and the other nickel and dime crap are a source of constant heartburn.🤣

Do they still do the quarter in the basket every 5 miles on the GSP? My dad used to curse a blue streak of Greek swears every time he missed and had to back up 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Do they still do the quarter in the basket every 5 miles on the GSP? My dad used to curse a blue streak of Greek swears every time he missed and had to back up 😂😂😂😂😂

Mostly EZ passes.  There are lanes that you can pay in cash, but one needs a wad of cash.😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Or, for those who don't like bundled charges and prefer a la cart you can opt out. You simply swipe your seapass to enter any venue and get charged the entry fee.... plus 18% of course. That might reduce Schooner Bar trivia crowding.

trivia ? what is the difference between cruise ship trivia and watching latex paint dry? answer-none

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The crew IS paid a living wage, this is mandated and governed by international convention.  

sorry to disargee but we have two family crew members on Brillance at present and no there not for a min 63 hr work week and what there required to do...no not a living wage. 

9 minutes ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

sorry to disargee but we have two family crew members on Brillance at present and no there not for a min 63 hr work week and what there required to do...no not a living wage. 

But room and board are paid for. Plus the oppty to see the world. May we ask in what capacity they work? Shops / entertainment staff? My impression is that all other staff will be international.

Edited by RD64
Additional

12 hours ago, OACAggie said:

How big will Mr. Liberty’s bonus be this year I wonder? He does know how to make money…short term. Long term, we’ll see. 

I'm going with substantial. 

12 hours ago, bretts173 said:

I love how people become all high and mighty when $2 comes into play. Remember you are not removing this extra $2 but also the $16 already charged. Wonder what the percentage of people who remove them are now going to top an extra $100 for a weeks cruising.

Those that removed them before will not care.  For those at the "tipping" point, it is a wait and see.

12 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

It's not really even the money... II consider myself a decent tipper. I'm just really irritated that on the heals of the previous increase they decreased to level of service they now throw another increase at us.

It seems as though this will be a annual event for some reason.

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The price of gas may go up but they didn't cut the octane buy 50% like they did with my cabin service.

Exactly.  Some missed this point. 

11 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I would much rather they raise fares and do away with gratuities altogether. 

Me as well.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

How much of Mr. Liberty's approximate 11 million in yearly compensation is he foregoing to help alleviate the company's debt?

Made me smile with this.

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

I'm surprised that the 18% has not increased.  On land, at least in my area, some restaurants the minimum that appears on the tab is 20% and on top of that some restaurants add a % for the usage of the CC. 

I'd not return to the location charging the % for using a CC.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't really care about supply and demand. What I care about is whether or not I feel that I am getting good value for my money. I usually do a winter and spring cruise. Spring cruise isn't happening. I can't justify the expense.

And... all of your post makes perfect sense.

For the cabins we sail in the value for money spent is growing further apart.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I am halfway through these responses and I have not seen the ever present standard answer of "it's the law of supply and demand, RCI has record occupancy this year......"

I am with you. My bookings have stopped as of December 2022.  I had 23 nights booked for 2023. So far, 7 nights for 2024 and none for 2025.

I am going to wait on the sidelines for a while and try some other experiences with the money.

The CEO was right that cruising was less expensive than other experiences and it was his mission to get cruise prices "more aligned" with other vacation experiences. In doing so, he is negating the advantages that cruising offered and opening up the door for people to look for other experiences that now cost the same due to increased cruise total expenses.

You are at the same spot as we are.  We have a cruise booked for this March and March of next year.  

We have an AI booked for NYE and it is almost 50% less than the NYE cruise we took last year. We booked it less than 2 weeks ago, with $100 deposit and fully refundable up to 14 days prior. Our AI room is very comparable to a OS, and it comes along with the perks on an Oasis Class ship.  Our resort room is like Sky Class cruise cabin, but with a Butler.  

We are going to have a blast.  Add to that, we only have to tip those that we want too and we certainly will. 

• Like 4

I think this toll road scheme may have some (um) “mileage!”  Your seapass card could be debited $1 ($2 during rush hour) whenever you pass housekeeping staff in the corridor or get within 10 ft of a waiter or bar server. Swathes of people would deviate onto outside decks or hide in shops to avoid the tolls! For those that forget their cards or try to outrun the staff, the existing CCTV cameras could take a photo and post it on a “wall of shame” in the Photo Gallery! That photo would then cost $40 ($20 if paid within 24 hours!) charged to your seapass card. Diamond members would be allowed 1 free violation photo per cruise! 

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

95% of the time I do not get a chit to sign.  The only places that I occasionally get a chit to sign is on Coco Cay, Sorrento's and Central Park Cafe. My sails have been mostly on Oasis, Anthem and Allure.

Ps, I'm one of them that carries $ bills.🤣

On our last cruise, we got one for every single D drink we ordered, including bottled water.

34 minutes ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

Exactly - ships are registered outside the US. They are not subject to all US working laws. 

I really don't like it.  Service has been reduced.  I don't mind the once-a-day cabin service, but not with an increase in daily gratuities.  I have two upcoming cruises I will pre-pay gratuities.  For future cruises I might remove the daily gratuities and tip employees directly.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Guests op out, grats go up... pretty simple..

This was my guess as well.  I hear many people say that they have their tips removed from their account.  I also wish they would just include it as part of the fare, assuming that would make the tips impossible to be removed??  We always pay the standard tips and then tip those who go over and above, which is almost always our MDR staff and Cabin Stewards. Would also appreciate being able to pre-pay the tips via my cruise manager on the web site vs. calling RCCL.  Just looked at my booking and I don't see that as an option.

• Like 1

I guess I'm annoyed by the decrease in service yet we are paying more. As a family of 6, having twice a day cabin service is nice because of all the trash and setting/putting away the beds. I am all for rewarding crew but with the increased ticket prices, plus now raised gratuity over the past 2 years, we are getting priced out. 

We booked a cruise with MSC to try it out. At 60% less, we will give it a whirl. 

We will cruise Royal again, just not a much. 

• Like 4