Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So when cabin service was cut by 50% the allotted amount stayed the same. Interesting.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

“Other hotel services”?? No one I have any desire to tip. 

Also wonder where the extra $.15/day for other hotel services goes for regular cabins vs. suites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

@iscruisingdunzo Agreed.

So many times you will read in many threads about how RCI has to repay the loans using increased fees and prices as a reason.

The CEO says for far too long, in so many words, cruises were being priced much lower than "comparable" vacation experiences.

I am "comparing" vacation experiences and cruising is starting to not be very competitive.

As I said, I am just going to wait on the sidelines for the dust to settle a bit before I book any more RCI cruises. I have been loyal to Royal since 1988.

Loyal to Royal - that is what RCL wants - those people that will book RCL for whatever perceived benefits they feel they will receive, despite anything to the contrary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So when cabin service was cut by 50% the allotted amount stayed the same. Interesting.

False. Cabin stewards were making $3.55 pppd. After the one time a day service started, they make $3.05 pppd

They have more cabins. 
less staff for Royal to pay, feed and house. 

4 hours ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

False. Cabin stewards were making $3.55 pppd. After the one time a day service started, they make $3.05 pppd

They have more cabins. 
less staff for Royal to pay, feed and house. 

Maybe RCI could start selling those empty crew cabins ... category EC... economy class.

Always amazing when long time posters try to present factual evidence only to be refuted by newly minted posters, without any type of references or evidence to back up their claim(s).

The old "I am right, you are wrong, I do not have to prove anything because I know I am right and you are wrong." It is not a discussion, it is pontification at that point.

@bonsai3s I have no reason to doubt that you did obtain the slip from an RCI ship from Guest Services. I have personally seen them being given out at GS to other guest while waiting in line concerning other matters.

You shared with us what you received which is relevant to this discussion about "why the increase and where does it go?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't doubt if the list is authentic, but does it really tell you anything more than you already know?  Stewards and waitors were always getting a piece but over 40% is listed as other.  When other is the biggest category it definately looks like they are trying to hide something and whether its people you wouldn't normally tip or a cash grab by RCCL it makes no difference, its not money I'm willing to continue paying.

Edited by bjlaac
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I had to provide for my family during the pandemic. I am not going to pay what I think are additional fees for new cruises just to "help RCI survive."

I am just standing on the sidelines for awhile to watch things unfold.

I feel for you.  I'm sure other cruise lines will welcome you with open arms.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bjlaac said:

I don't doubt if the list is authentic, but does it really tell you anything more than you already know?  Stewards and waitors were always getting a piece but over 40% is listed as other.  When other is the biggest category it definately looks like they are trying to hide something and whether its people you wouldn't normally tip or a cash grab by RCCL it makes no difference, its not money I'm willing to continue paying.

You raise a pertinent question: "Who in the 'other' gets that money?" It represents quite a large percentage of the charges. 

Similar to New Jersey State when they say a new tax or fee is "going into the general coffers."

The General Coffers is a euphemistic black hole that lacks any specific reason except for the politicians to go to it for their pet projects.

Other hotel services could include off-ship staff that works in the "hotel services" section of corporate. We have no idea who actually gets 40% of the funds. To my knowledge - which may be lacking - there is nothing that says that all of the service charges collected go to the actual staff on the ship.

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Always amazing when long time posters try to present factual evidence only to be refuted by newly minted posters, without any type of references or evidence to back up their claim(s).

The old "I am right, you are wrong, I do not have to prove anything because I know I am right and you are wrong." It is not a discussion, it is pontification at that point.

@bonsai3s I have no reason to doubt that you did obtain the slip from an RCI ship from Guest Services. I have personally seen them being given out at GS to other guest while waiting in line concerning other matters.

You shared with us what you received which is relevant to this discussion about "why the increase and where does it go?"

Yes, I was simply trying to help...thanks.:classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You raise a pertinent question: "Who in the 'other' gets that money?" It represents quite a large percentage of the charges. 

Similar to New Jersey State when they say a new tax or fee is "going into the general coffers."

The General Coffers is a euphemistic black hole that lacks any specific reason except for the politicians to go to it for their pet projects.

or to pay for Taylor Swift concert tickets

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, vswan said:

Other hotel services could include off-ship staff that works in the "hotel services" section of corporate. We have no idea who actually gets 40% of the funds. To my knowledge - which may be lacking - there is nothing that says that all of the service charges collected go to the actual staff on the ship.

Really? Hotel is a large part of the ships operations. Laundry, galley, cleaning to name a few that you dont have direct interaction with.