Guest Passing Away

beryjastry

My wife sadly unexpectedly passed away recently and we had two future cruises booked one in Sept 2024 and one in June 2025. I informed P&O of the sad news and that I wished to cancel both cruises. I have been told that I can not get a refund on the deposits paid even under these sad circumstances they were very unsympathetic and just treated me like a booking number, not a person

3 minutes ago, beryjastry said:

My wife sadly unexpectedly passed away recently and we had two future cruises booked one in Sept 2024 and one in June 2025. I informed P&O of the sad news and that I wished to cancel both cruises. I have been told that I can not get a refund on the deposits paid even under these sad circumstances they were very unsympathetic and just treated me like a booking number, not a person

That's very poor. Presumably with the cruises being that far ahead, you didn't yet have travel insurance in place that would cover it?

4 minutes ago, beryjastry said:

I'm very sorry for your loss, that's really sad.  I don't have any advice to give sadly other than try phoning again to see  if you get someone more sympathetic.  Did you book with P&O directly or through an agent?  Can you claim on travel insurance?

Just now, beryjastry said:

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Your insurer will pay out if you complete a claims form and submit the cancellation invoice from P&O.  This will be subject to any excess on your policy.  I appreciate it is not a nice thing to hear when you are recently bereaved but P&O are completely within their rights to refuse a refund.  It is standard contract for all cruise lines, holiday companies, airlines etc.

When my mother passed I asked Cunard to change our booking to replace her with my husband as per one of her last requests.  A very embarrassed staff member had to charge me £100 to make the "administrative" change.

• Like 6

I'm sorry to hear your sad news and send you my condolences.

Maybe ring again and you might speak to a more understanding agent.

The other option is to contact your holiday insurance for a refund.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beryjastry said:

The cruises booked are outside the dates of any travel insurance.

Do you have any insurance attached to a bank account or indeed one in place such as an annual policy? If so this will cover you at the point you paid your deposit. It doesn't have to be for the specific reservation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, beryjastry said:

The cruises booked are outside the dates of any travel insurance.

If you currently had travel insurance when you booked these cruises and your wife's passing was unexpected they should refund you so I would contact them.

If you end up cancelling your insurance you should get a cash percentage back of what you paid.

• Like 1

I have no other type of insurance. I have cancelled both cruises it was just the cold-hearted way P&O now treat their customers.

So sad for your loss but unfortunately that is in the booking conditions that you agree to when you book holiday. Not just P&O but all cruise lines and land based holiday company adopt the no deposit refund in their booking conditions.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, dibbsy said:

That is really disappointing to hear - you'd think in these circumstances common sense would prevail.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately it isn't a common sense matter.  The t&cs of all travel companies - not just cruise lines - are totally clear on this issue.  No deposit is refundable under any circumstances.  It may seem unfair but it is the terms you book under.  

This is one of the reasons you should buy insurance immediately you have booked or better still if the trip is a long way off have an annual travel policy in place before booking to protect your deposit.  As soon as you part with your money you have a risk of losing it if you don't buy insurance that day.  If you have any complications such as medical conditions it is always wise to check before you book that you will be able to buy the required policy, nothing worse than scrabbling around after parting with a large sum.  Sadly people get swept up in the moment and do not think of practicalities.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

No deposit is refundable under any circumstances.

That is not strictly true - there are some exceptions to that rule - for example Silversea with a door-to-door booking will refund the deposit (subject to an admin charge) up to 120 days pre sailing.

7 minutes ago, david63 said:

That is not strictly true - there are some exceptions to that rule - for example Silversea with a door-to-door booking will refund the deposit (subject to an admin charge) up to 120 days pre sailing.

I'm sure that may be the case but it's really nitpicking.  The bulk of mainstream travel companies and for that matter travel agents do not refund deposits.  My point in posting was to forewarn individuals who may not be aware of the situation and hopefully prevent some other unfortunate soul being in the situation the OP unfortunately finds himself in.

1 hour ago, beryjastry said:

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. 

Whilst I completely understand the point that P&O and others are making (and it is of course correct that this is technically an insurance matter), you would hope that an honourable company would make a discretionary refund in the event of the death of a passenger if they are not otherwise covered.

Let’s face it, they will re-sell the cabin and the lost deposit then becomes pure profit for them. Effectively, the natural conclusion is that they are profiting from deaths, which leave a bad taste. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. 

Whilst I completely understand the point that P&O and others are making (and it is of course correct that this is technically an insurance matter), you would hope that an honourable company would make a discretionary refund in the event of the death of a passenger if they are not otherwise covered.

Let’s face it, they will re-sell the cabin and the lost deposit then becomes pure profit for them. Effectively, the natural conclusion is that they are profiting from deaths, which leave a bad taste. 

Having been on the end of something like this personally, it is always a worry to me about cruises going on sale so far out as they are in a lot of cases something of a risk.  My dear mother used to buy individual policies for her cruises as her health conditions prevented her having an annual policy - until recently my husband was the same.  That effectively means playing a form of Russian roulette until those individuals are within the one year in advance rule the insurers run.  There's also the changing health rules of insurers.  The individual buys his annual policy, it covers everything but at renewal something has changed in his health profile and his insurer won't cover him or you cross an age band and your cost doubles ...

Cruises and insurance are a total minefield particularly now deposits are rising to higher percentages.  It used to be okay to gamble the £150 or whatever at release, now it can be several thousands.  All something else to worry about.

• Like 5

I am sorry for your loss.

Over on the unmentionable social media site there is page for P&O cruises for resale. It is possible to transfer the cruise to someone else who will then pay you the cost of your deposit and is then responsible for the cruise. P&O will facilitate this. If you are not on the aforementioned site a TA can act on your behalf.

• Like 3

Very sorry for your loss.

I agree that this seems very harsh under the circumstances, they will not loose any money by issuing a refund for this so far in advance of the sailing. Yes it is in the terms etc, but some companies are just more understanding than others.  For example I took very ill a few years ago, we knew there was no chance of traveling (or even getting out of hospital) withing the next 6 months.  I had 2 holidays booked 1. TUI holiday for 2, 2nd. had 6 easyjet return flights and accommodation separately.  I have to say both companies where excellent to deal with.  My husband just had to fill in a form emailed to him explaining the issue (dr and hospital numbers given) and both companies issued vouchers to the full cost of the holiday/flights.  The outcome is that if we are flying short haul I now try and book easyjet as they treated us so well, as do the rest of the family who were meant to travel with us.  Since recovering I have used both TUI and easyjet  more regularly than I would have planned to do. I think P&O and companies with no compassion probably loose more than they gain by not going the extra mile when a customer is facing very difficult times.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Very sorry for your loss.

I agree that this seems very harsh under the circumstances, they will not loose any money by issuing a refund for this so far in advance of the sailing. Yes it is in the terms etc, but some companies are just more understanding than others.  For example I took very ill a few years ago, we knew there was no chance of traveling (or even getting out of hospital) withing the next 6 months.  I had 2 holidays booked 1. TUI holiday for 2, 2nd. had 6 easyjet return flights and accommodation separately.  I have to say both companies where excellent to deal with.  My husband just had to fill in a form emailed to him explaining the issue (dr and hospital numbers given) and both companies issued vouchers to the full cost of the holiday/flights.  The outcome is that if we are flying short haul I now try and book easyjet as they treated us so well, as do the rest of the family who were meant to travel with us.  Since recovering I have used both TUI and easyjet  more regularly than I would have planned to do. I think P&O and companies with no compassion probably loose more than they gain by not going the extra mile when a customer is facing very difficult times.

Funnily enough - I too had a good outcome with EasyJet when my husband died.  We had two sets of flights booked with them and they refunded all the flight money we had paid very quickly.  I don’t think they even asked for a copy of the death certificate- I just spoke to a girl on the phone.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, beryjastry said:

I have no other type of insurance. I have cancelled both cruises it was just the cold-hearted way P&O now treat their customers.

My Husband died 14 years ago. We had a cruise booked, not P&O, and as the date for final payment approached we realised that we couldn't go due to his declining health. The deposit was forfeited, insurance didn't cover as it was an existing condition for which he was receiving ongoing treatment and tests. It is not a P&O thing.

• Like 5