Is paying $10 shipping for a medallion worth it?

Deep68

1 minute ago, drafterdw said:

Like what? I do not do lanyards and am concerned about just carrying it around.

There are options  when you order your medallion for things like a wrist bracelet, etc.  You can also buy them on Amazon.  If you haven't ordered yet for your cruise you will see the options princess offers that you can order 

The reason we went with port pick up was because we had seen quite a few posts with people worrying if the medallion would arrive in time and others saying theirs had been lost in shipping. Nothing to do with saving $10. Boarding in Honolulu there were two lines, Medallion Holders went straight in, we had a line of say 12 people. When we went in there was a really long line, I am not sure if a Medallion avoided this. They had to check NZ and Aussie Visas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drafterdw said:

Like what? I do not do lanyards and am concerned about just carrying it around.

I usually just carry mine in my pocket or phone purse if I don't have a pocket.  DH got a wristband for his on board.  It was about $15 or so last year. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I guess I hadn't thought about this, but now I guess there is no priority check in for loyalty anymore, it's whether or not you pay extra or buy packages.  Another benefit lost it seems.  Is that true?

While I can't say for sure if it makes much difference, I do know that 2 weeks ago when we sailed out or Ft Lauderdale without receiving the medallion at home we always arrive early at the terminal and we had to get out medallions at the desk. By the time we arrived at the Elite lounge, the place was totally filled (almost to capacity). This is the first time it's every happened to us and I suspect that it was because people who had their medallions went straight to the lounge. 

So yes, it does appear that it's another lost benefit unless you want to pay for the privilege of being first. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Looks like it depends on the port.

In Galveston now Green Lane will save you anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of extra line wait. That's AFTER the hour-plus line to get through security and into the building.

It's up to the individual of course to decide if the ten bucks is worth it.  For me, ten dollars of long line wait insurance for a cruise I've spent 1,000+ on passes the worth it test. YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curtzilla said:

In Galveston now Green Lane will save you anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of extra line wait. That's AFTER the hour-plus line to get through security and into the building.

It's up to the individual of course to decide if the ten bucks is worth it.  For me, ten dollars of long line wait insurance for a cruise I've spent 1,000+ on passes the worth it test. YMMV.

Agreed 👍 

On 11/21/2023 at 4:08 PM, Curtzilla said:

Looks like they've succeeded in making people spend the extra $$ to have it mailed after all.

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2023 at 10:41 PM, mrmarklin said:

Totally no way. The medallion can be picked up upon boarding. I would never pay for this “service “. 

Caveat:  I’m a Suite passenger. So basically no lines. 

Free shipping for suite passengers I believe......

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 6:03 AM, Reina del Mar said:

We live in GB but usually sail from US. South America or Australia….no option to have medallions mailed to us.

We have never (yet) had to wait more than an extra few minutes to pick up our medallions.

Just ask yourself how they managed in pre medallion times !!!!

Have you, or anyone else for that matter, sailed in the Med (Italy, Spain or Greece) at all with the medallion pick at the port? Wondering what the wait will be in foreign ports. 

Edited by jennybenny

How much is your time worth? I will always pay the $10 from now on to avoid standing in another line, whether one minute or one hour.

If the medallion is lost in shipping or if you lose it yourself, you can always get a replacement at the port.

The line in Galveston was not a pretty sight and I'm glad I avoided it. Even though retired, I'm still on vacation.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

How much is your time worth? I will always pay the $10 from now on to avoid standing in another line, whether one minute or one hour.

If the medallion is lost in shipping or if you lose it yourself, you can always get a replacement at the port.

The line in Galveston was not a pretty sight and I'm glad I avoided it. Even though retired, I'm still on vacation.

Agreed! $10 is worth my time! However, if I leave early for a cruise to enjoy a pre vacation experience, I won't be home to receive my medallion. That's my biggest issue. Maybe we spend too much time vacationing. lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Have you, or anyone else for that matter, sailed in the Med (Italy, Spain or Greece) at all with the medallion pick at the port? Wondering what the wait will be in foreign ports. 

Sorry, haven’t said Princess in the Med since medallion times, sure someone will be along soon who can help.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stosh68 said:

Thankfully we all know that the people who don't like to pay for advance shipping will never complain about the length of the medallion line, if there should be one.

There's no guarantee that there will be no line, period.  Reports from posts on this board account that Galveston embarkation is a cluster and there's a long line for green and blue lanes.  It all depends on how organized and competent the port agents are.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 2:07 PM, jennybenny said:

Agreed! $10 is worth my time! However, if I leave early for a cruise to enjoy a pre vacation experience, I won't be home to receive my medallion. That's my biggest issue. Maybe we spend too much time vacationing. lol 

Now I'm curious. You can be Green Lane having the medallion shipped whether or not you receive it. I may try keeping it my pocket, going Green Lane and see what happens - if they will pick up a new  medallion for me.

I suppose to complete the ruse, wear an old medallion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Now I'm curious. You can be Green Lane having the medallion shipped whether or not you receive it. I may try keeping it my pocket, going Green Lane and see what happens - if they will pick up a new  medallion for me.

I suppose to complete the ruse, wear an old medallion.

Now that is brilliant!! 

On 11/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, jennybenny said:

Out of Barcelona and Southampton.  Little delay in picking up the Medallions.  They have a good system in place and staff know what they are doing.  Two recent cruises out of San Francisco had longer waits.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SCX22 said:

There's no guarantee that there will be no line, period.  Reports from posts on this board account that Galveston embarkation is a cluster and there's a long line for green and blue lanes.  It all depends on how organized and competent the port agents are.

Where did I say there was?

On 11/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, iramack said:

Free shipping for suite passengers I believe......

Every time I’ve tried to order the medallions, there has been a charge.  Have you actually ordered them and not been charged (if traveling in a suite)?  Does the charge actually disappear after you hit submit?  

Edited by milolii

3 hours ago, milolii said:

Every time I’ve tried to order the medallions, there has been a charge.  Have you actually ordered them and not been charged (if traveling in a suite)?  Does the charge actually disappear after you hit submit?  

Oh! I want to know that too!