Constellation Feedback

broadwaybaby123

Hi all,

I'm looking at a cruise for 2025 on the Constellation. I love the itinerary: Costa Maya, Tampa, Roatan, and New Orleans. 

I'm looking for feedback from recent cruisers on the ship. This will be my 33rd cruise, so I'm by no means a first timer. I've been on the Summit, her sister ship, twice and loved it. I'm looking for feedback specifically for the Constellation. 

Any advice?

On the Constellation now. First time in Veranda - but usually we are in Aqua, so that’s probably coloring my views a bit.  We have been very disappointed with the food and service in MDR.  Just not enough staff and they are seemingly untrained. Today at lunch table next to us was well into their 3rd course before we received our first.  Orders were taken at the same time.  Needed to ask twice for our drinks.  Eventually a waiter who wasn’t even ours came over to help.  Food hasn’t been good either.  Variety in the Oceanview is lacking, as is quality and staff.  In the MDR, twice  we’ve ordered beef that was barely chewable.  (Not doing that again!). At least on the Classic package, drinks have been watery and wine is eh.  Decor wise, things are a bit worn.  Carpet, mattress and furniture have seen better days.  Public areas are a bit worn, too.  Persian Garden is dark and cramped. No loungers, just a heated bench.  On the upside, we have enjoyed the entertainment, especially the bands, and our stateroom attendant has been very helpful.  But, we won’t be back on this class ship.  

• Like 1

On Constellation now, speaking only for myself, ship is fine.  Dining (gluten free) has been horrendous.  If l were offered a repeat of this partcular experience for free, I'd turn them down.  I'll write a detailed review after disembarking Wednesday.  They still have a few days to try to get some things right.

• Like 1

Having only sailed on the newest product from Celebrity, that ship looks like an old barnacle.*

*No offense to barnacles. Every ship has had its heyday. The newest ships today will soon enough be barnacles in their own right, so don't be down on me for stating the obvious.

Where is Celebrity (or any cruise line) going to (try) to place the majority of their best staff? I don't believe on their oldest ships.

Not sure what the pricing is, but it must be an incredible bargain for that ship.

Just now, wanderlust58 said:

On the Constellation now. First time in Veranda - but usually we are in Aqua, so that’s probably coloring my views a bit.  We have been very disappointed with the food and service in MDR.  Just not enough staff and they are seemingly untrained. Today at lunch table next to us was well into their 3rd course before we received our first.  Orders were taken at the same time.  Needed to ask twice for our drinks.  Eventually a waiter who wasn’t even ours came over to help.  Food hasn’t been good either.  Variety in the Oceanview is lacking, as is quality and staff.  In the MDR, twice  we’ve ordered beef that was barely chewable.  (Not doing that again!). At least on the Classic package, drinks have been watery and wine is eh.  Decor wise, things are a bit worn.  Carpet, mattress and furniture have seen better days.  Public areas are a bit worn, too.  Persian Garden is dark and cramped. No loungers, just a heated bench.  On the upside, we have enjoyed the entertainment, especially the bands, and our stateroom attendant has been very helpful.  But, we won’t be back on this class ship.  

Are we on the same cruise ? 
variety in OVC has been outstanding 

I think people like to complain because they can 🤔

• Like 3

Just now, goofysmom99 said:

On Constellation now, speaking only for myself, ship is fine.  Dining (gluten free) has been horrendous.  If l were offered a repeat of this partcular experience for free, I'd turn them down.  I'll write a detailed review after disembarking Wednesday.  They still have a few days to try to get some things right.

Our daughter is gluten free , she has said the selection has been ok for her in MDR 

• Like 1

I've only gone to MDR twice.  Not giving a 3rd chance.

Remember the nice soft macaroons in Cafe al Bacio (that happened to also be GF)?  Not anymore.  And heaven forbid you don't feel well and need to isolate yourself for the good of others.  Order soup?  How about chicken noodle but without noodles.  Think about it.  Two slices GF toast and some cheddar cheese, to make a sandwich.  They sent this the first time, I sent it back.  Second time they cut up more of the same into pretty triangles.  Sent that back, too. Third time, they sent real cheese.  And it goes on and on.  Things I've counted on since 2008 (my 1st cruising as GF) just aren't there.  Everything is special request and then doesn't happen.  I am seriously angry, PO'd and disappointed.  And yes, I met with F&B Dir and Exec Chef today.  We'll see how it goes.  

20231114_155508.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Are we on the same cruise ? 
variety in OVC has been outstanding 

I think people like to complain because they can 🤔

Ex-Airbalancer, I’m not “complaining because I can”.  The OP asked for opinions, and I gave her mine.  People have different standards.  I’ve heard views like mine and views like yours on this cruise.  That’s normal.  This time, Celebrity has not met the standards I have come to expect. My experiences on Edge and Solstice classes were different from, and better, than this one.  I gave a few examples why.  It’s as simple as that.

• Like 4

I am on the ship right now. We are very happy with ocean view buffet. The best variety we have had since before Covid. And we have been sailing at least twice per year. Yes-the ship is ready for new carpets and some furniture but if you look you can find comfortable places to sit.our bed is great.   Bar service has been excellent in most  cases. The entertainment is the best I have had on Celebrity. Sue the Cruise Director planned great entertainment for this 16 Transatlantic.
I do enjoy cruising on new ships but the smaller size of this ship is nice. You get to know more of the crew and fellow guests.

I would definitely sail this ship again. Maybe not a good fit for those that want shiny and new. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:17 PM, buncosquad said:

Having only sailed on the newest product from Celebrity, that ship looks like an old barnacle.*

*No offense to barnacles. Every ship has had its heyday. The newest ships today will soon enough be barnacles in their own right, so don't be down on me for stating the obvious.

Where is Celebrity (or any cruise line) going to (try) to place the majority of their best staff? I don't believe on their oldest ships.

Not sure what the pricing is, but it must be an incredible bargain for that ship.

Some of us Like the Older X ships and the less crowded feeling and decor compared to the Edge class ships glitzy crowded feeling.

The only thing I miss on the M class ships is fewer specialty dining choices.

We have sailed on Millie 7 times and Edge Once (once to many) but it's nice that X has 3 generations of Ships so there is something for everyone's taste?

• Like 2

On 11/16/2023 at 8:41 PM, goofysmom99 said:

I've only gone to MDR twice.  Not giving a 3rd chance.

Remember the nice soft macaroons in Cafe al Bacio (that happened to also be GF)?  Not anymore.  And heaven forbid you don't feel well and need to isolate yourself for the good of others.  Order soup?  How about chicken noodle but without noodles.  Think about it.  Two slices GF toast and some cheddar cheese, to make a sandwich.  They sent this the first time, I sent it back.  Second time they cut up more of the same into pretty triangles.  Sent that back, too. Third time, they sent real cheese.  And it goes on and on.  Things I've counted on since 2008 (my 1st cruising as GF) just aren't there.  Everything is special request and then doesn't happen.  I am seriously angry, PO'd and disappointed.  And yes, I met with F&B Dir and Exec Chef today.  We'll see how it goes.  

20231114_155508.jpg

Gross..Is it real cheese or processed " cheese food".

On 11/18/2023 at 5:48 AM, georgiacat said:

I am considering a similar itinerary on the Constellation.  It will be our first Celebrity cruise.  How does the Aqua class compare with the usual verandah?

Aqua Class gives you perks that a regular Veranda Stateroom does not include.

We found that none of those Perks was worth the extra cost.

• Like 1

On Constellation and the other M class ships Concierge Class and Aqua Class staterooms are about 20 sq ft larger than the standard veranda categories.    One other thing I try to avoid on these ships are connecting staterooms as they can be noisy.  I don't believe any of the AQ rooms are connecting.

On 11/18/2023 at 8:48 AM, georgiacat said:

I am considering a similar itinerary on the Constellation.  It will be our first Celebrity cruise.  How does the Aqua class compare with the usual verandah?

stick with the usual veranda. after 50 cruises we have found them to be suitable.

On 11/18/2023 at 8:48 AM, georgiacat said:

We usually sail Aqua class because I enjoy the Persian Garden.  In the solstice and edge classes, it is better than on the M class ships because it is sunny and bright with heated loungers and several shower options.  In the Constellation, it is dark and there are no loungers, only one heated bench.  Our last sailing, the transatlantic from Rome to Tampa , we were in veranda.  To me the biggest argument for going with Aqua on this ship is Blu, the aqua class restaurant.  We found the MDR to be considerably lacking in terms of quality and presentation.  The dining room is huge and crowded and our meals often arrived cool, if not cold.  Blu is a smaller venue, and it has been our experience on other ships that for both breakfast and dinner, the food quality and service is noticeably better.

We were on the Connie with family in June in Greece. We had a great time. Terrific entertainment ( much better than the Edge). Shabby stateroom but very clean. MDR pleasant and always something good. Wonderful service. Petit Chief fun experience. Always easy to get on and off ( no crowds). I would definitely sail on her again. 

Of my 21 Celebrity cruises, eight have been on the Connie, since our first one in 2008. Always loved the ship, the crew, the dining, the entertainment, until Dec. of ‘22, when things started slipping. Food was not quite as good. In March of ‘23, food had slipped a bit more. We chose to have dinner at OceanView, a few nights, and ate breakfast in MDR. Crew still seemed to be a great asset. We still had a great time.

We now will board on Dec. 22nd, and will see how it goes. I think we can work around whatever might not meet our expectations. I think OP that you will do fine as long as you keep your expectations reasonable. Actually, there’s a dry dock before your cruise, so the  ship will look better than now. I just hope for your sake (and mine, since Connie sails out of my backyard) the crew stays great and the food bounces back!

• Thanks 1