Not Quite Live From Iona in the Med (G336) - The i-Player Version

TigerB

8 hours ago, TigerB said:

Day 1 - Embarkation and Sail Away:

Our embarkation time was 14:15 so we weren't in a hurry; we had a bit of a lay in and I popped to Lidl for some pastries and coffees. After chatting with the kids, and getting some travel advice on here, we set off just after 11:00; the route I inputted in the sat-nav was a leisurely fifty-five minutes, through the countryside, and avoiding the motorways and major A roads.

With the expected extra traffic due to the football and three ships departing, and a planned refuel, we fully expected our journey to take longer, but without live-traffic, the licence for which expired the day before, I couldn't determine how long. As it happened, the only bottleneck we encountered was vehicles trying to get into the West Quay shopping centre. There weren't even any vehicles queuing where you turn off Platform Road towards gate 4. Consequently, we were in the CPS queue at 12:20.

IMG_20231028_122840773_HDR2.thumb.jpg.b69100780840a4b949f256f5400cad48.jpg

Just ten minutes later we were under the canopy and the luggage was unloaded onto a trolley; a porter then took it away. I hoped he had taken it to be loaded onto the ship and not his waiting mate's car. I suppose we would have the answer later.

We made our way to the terminal entrance, where I told the young man we were early, but were going to sit a while inside. He looked at our boarding passes and asked if we needed additional assistance; we did not. He told us to go straight in and up in the lift to check-in. There was no queue at our check-in desk and we were through security and on the ship by 13:00. There was an orderly queue for the lifts on deck 6, stretching to where the atrium started; there were four wheelchairs/scooters ahead of us. Four lifts were out of service, so we anticipated a wait of a few minutes. By 13:20 we had checked in at our muster station on deck 8 and were enjoying our first drink near the Keel and Cow. A few minutes later it was announced that all cabins were ready.

We sat, soaking in the atmosphere and chatting with family for about another hour. During that time I took the opportunity to book all my 710 Club performances. I noticed that the MDRs were also available to book for our entire cruise, just the early slots though. For the days we weren't eating elsewhere, I booked the latest sittings available for Opal; that happened to be 18:00 each night, which suited us just fine.

Before we went to our cabin, I popped to reception to try my luck at an upgrade, even though there was probably knack-all chance of that happening. The young man said he would put a note against our cabin for them to check in the morning, but to be aware that it was probably unlikely as (his words), "the ship was rammed". What an excellent response; it made me chuckle to myself, despite knowing my mission was doomed to fail.

When we arrived at our cabin by 14:40 and our entire luggage was waiting outside. We were in 15326, and it was identical to the one next door (15322) that we had on Arvia in April, but reversed. 

After taking photos and unpacking just the essentials (just in case) there was a knock on the door; it was our cabin steward, John. We chatted for a few minutes, arranged our daily ice delivery for Tiger's Bar, and told him what else we needed. He returned just ten minutes or so later with our ice for that day, two extra pillows, and a pump bottle each of body lotion and conditioner. Unlike on the last cruise, they didn't have the 'please return on pain of death' labels on them, and he didn't remind us to do so. I did say though that we would leave them out for him at the end of the cruise.

IMG_20231028_1443109762.thumb.jpg.96f6365a88294f43f22aeec7d5f6c3b1.jpg

IMG_20231028_144301914.thumb.jpg.6e794d3cddf31553a49e4abcce1cc74c.jpg

IMG_20231028_144304838.thumb.jpg.d8fe2092f0d9de87cf377f5ff8bd6ab7.jpg

Plenty of room for our lass's wheelchair, which is 62cm wide, and 84cm long...

IMG_20231028_144632378.thumb.jpg.e5b2f3e3c4bd5a5336d3ee40dfa76bee.jpg

IMG_20231028_1452212982.thumb.jpg.cd615f0c69c67767f3b15ba016cf0795.jpg

IMG_20231028_1452486922.thumb.jpg.6ca7832f81172e8b398937d5ee4456f2.jpg

IMG_20231028_1449508032.thumb.jpg.598a409c18abfd42b0ec740cc085df0f.jpg

IMG_20231028_1449106242.thumb.jpg.f90fddf84205ce13183b0c74f8caef9d.jpg

IMG_20231028_1449001142.thumb.jpg.9e2d1838351583f62c27fa3aba892e6e.jpg

IMG_20231028_144842506.thumb.jpg.343962efb84df3c04cd458614a130356.jpg

IMG_20231028_144721502.thumb.jpg.df08c2eabb2a0802edef1fdd4844a894.jpg

IMG_20231028_1447360722.thumb.jpg.e9ddb9937f55e8a1f1a97746cd470400.jpg

The accessible cabins on Iona, and Arvia, are great, and have many useful features, such as fully automatic main doors, bathroom doors, and balcony doors. Other good features are the sinks and toilet bars, which move up and down according to the needs of the user. 

However, there is one glaring mistake in the cabin design. Here's a clue...

IMG_20231028_1456084693.thumb.jpg.f6456c2c836a15e6736ccefede0e255c.jpg

No, not the safe; our lass, when sat in her wheelchair, can easily open and close it, and reach inside.

The problem is the fridge, which is almost at floor level. If a wheelchair user was the sole occupant of a cabin, it would be very likely that they would not be able to use the fridge at all.

The solution? Perhaps they could remove the shelf above it, and raise the fridge to fill the gap. It would then be at an appropriate height for a wheelchair user to access it fairly easily.

IMG-20231106-WA0020.thumb.jpg.101672ec41c208effe36f8183e56d5bf.jpg

Another good feature is the wardrobe clothes rail, which can be pulled down to an appropriate level for a wheelchair user.

The mechanism is spring loaded so, when the wheelchair user has placed items onto or removed them from the rail, they let go and the rail retracts automatically to its upright position.

Unless it is broken like ours was...

IMG_20231028_1455235072.thumb.jpg.677b1520832bcc6af845042386a9b453.jpg

IMG_20231028_1455437572.thumb.jpg.ef13bbdacc48cb479d3e7a625c0082c4.jpg

On each side there should be a piece of plastic that keeps the rail in an upright position when it retracts back into the wardrobe. Those pieces of plastic were missing, which meant the rail retracted too far and rested against the back of the wardrobe. Not good when you hang your clothes.

When John returned I showed him the problem. He promptly called for a carpenter, who arrived within half an hour. Although he was not able to fix it properly, he bodged it sufficiently so we could use it for its intended purpose during the cruise.

Re the fridge position, I wonder just how many solo wheelchair users there are cruising, my guess would be not many at all, so possibly rarely a problem.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Re the fridge position, I wonder just how many solo wheelchair users there are cruising, my guess would be not many at all, so possibly rarely a problem.

Exactly. Not really a problem.

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Not being a wheelchair user I've still got to disagree

Even travelling with a companion surely wheelchair users want to be able to use a fridge without always having to ask someone to do it for them?

It seems an easy fix as well

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 4

@TigerB - ta me duck for the offer to use the photos. Are you happy for me to take all your accessible bus ones or just those from that post?  I’m sure some find them useful. 

The shuttle in Lisbon went a long way to go not very far.  I walked between ship and the centre stop in half the time.  I only went on the shuttle as I erm… wanted to in all honesty.  My second trip from ship to town I walked there and back. 

It’s not just Mrs RL that requests regular cat updates.  The joys of messages and networks means we get updates too.  He makes a guest appearance on my shuttle bus map. 

The tram 10 in Valencia looks a go-er too from the shuttle drop off to the centre-ish.  May require a change onto the metro too. IMG_4272.thumb.jpeg.ba64463d3530ac9b62953f7448189484.jpeg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

@TigerB - ta me duck for the offer to use the photos. Are you happy for me to take all your accessible bus ones or just those from that post?  I’m sure some find them useful. 

The shuttle in Lisbon went a long way to go not very far.  I walked between ship and the centre stop in half the time.  I only went on the shuttle as I erm… wanted to in all honesty.  My second trip from ship to town I walked there and back. 

It’s not just Mrs RL that requests regular cat updates.  The joys of messages and networks means we get updates too.  He makes a guest appearance on my shuttle bus map. 

The tram 10 in Valencia looks a go-er too from the shuttle drop off to the centre-ish.  May require a change onto the metro too. IMG_4272.thumb.jpeg.ba64463d3530ac9b62953f7448189484.jpeg

Firstly, what an adorable kitty🥰

Yes lad, use any of the images as you see fit. Through your transport link I would hope they would help others.🙂

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

What a beautiful tabby, he looks like he has a story to tell 😟

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Waju said:

What a beautiful tabby, he looks like he has a story to tell 😟

Sorry I’m assuming boy puss cat because I once had a tabby that was a boy - he was named Trigger and we rescued him because a Frenchman was going to shoot him 😳

Edited by Waju
  • Like 4

You had a 50/50 chance and you were correct, he.

And to save you all worrying, I’ll deal with the elephant in the room, he gets on just fine with a missing back toe. 

Will add the photos in when I get home, anyone has any shuttle bus hen you know where I am.  It’s near 10,000 views and they aren’t all me so must be useful to some. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I would agree with you, John, that there would hardly be any wheelchair users that travel alone on a cruise ship; probably none, actually.

However, I will sometimes leave my wife alone in the cabin, and if she wanted to access the fridge while I'm out then she simply could not; that is not just if she is in her wheelchair, it also affects her if she is using her sticks to get around. From an upright position she cannot bend down to the level of the fridge; she would just topple over. That problem would affect many folk with mobility problems, who may be able to get around on sticks, but would not be able to bend down to the level of the fridge without risk of a fall or other injury. I would hazard a guess that some of those folk may travel alone.

So Zap, to say it is not really a problem, is not really accurate, in my opinion.

The same situation exists in some accessible hotel rooms we have stayed in, and many solo disabled guests use those. Now, that is a problem.

And while I'm banging my drum, I often think that the designers of hotel rooms, or other areas in the hospitality sector that are supposedly adapted for disabled guests, don't fully appreciate every aspect of what a disabled guest really requires. We have yet to stay in an accessible hotel room that is absolutely perfect for its intended use, and does not create any obstacles for the disabled guest.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TigerB said:

I would agree with you, John, that there would hardly be any wheelchair users that travel alone on a cruise ship; probably none, actually.

However, I will sometimes leave my wife alone in the cabin, and if she wanted to access the fridge while I'm out then she simply could not; that is not just if she is in her wheelchair, it also affects her if she is using her sticks to get around. From an upright position she cannot bend down to the level of the fridge; she would just topple over. That problem would affect many folk with mobility problems, who may be able to get around on sticks, but would not be able to bend down to the level of the fridge without risk of a fall or other injury. I would hazard a guess that some of those folk may travel alone.

So Zap, to say it is not really a problem, is not really accurate, in my opinion.

The same situation exists in some accessible hotel rooms we have stayed in, and many solo disabled guests use those. Now, that is a problem.

And while I'm banging my drum, I often think that the designers of hotel rooms, or other areas in the hospitality sector that are supposedly adapted for disabled guests, don't fully appreciate every aspect of what a disabled guest really requires. We have yet to stay in an accessible hotel room that is absolutely perfect for its intended use, and does not create any obstacles for the disabled guest.

I agree with your final points, we find the PI  beds to be too low  and the P&O beds to be too high for easy access, an average of the two would probably be ideal.

• Like 3

Yes, at 60cm the P&O beds are way too high.  Their point would probably be that if they lowered them there would be sufficient space underneath.  A compromise would be for them to fit thinner, but equally supportive mattresses.

With PI we've had beds as low as 41cm and as high as 50cm.  Most of the ones we have slept in have been 47/48cm.

Awesome read. 
Im so glad to see so many actually posting trip reports live or not now. I know when I joined I’d only read daimianG(think that’s who) and now there are loads of you joining in. I’m glad I’m not the only one. Although I do sometime forget if I actually posted mine. 

Loved it that you called your wife a beauty even while poorly. 
and happy that you managed to get extra puddings in the olive grove. I was refused when I asked for two small mains as I wasn’t sure if I’d like one and was told no so thought fair enough. I always like the lemon tart but hubby always steals my ice cream.  

didn’t realise all the prices had increased by 20-40p for drinks. 

Off to read Selbornes soon but need to cook dinner and get some work done. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TigerB said:

Yes, at 60cm the P&O beds are way too high.  Their point would probably be that if they lowered them there would be sufficient space underneath.  A compromise would be for them to fit thinner, but equally supportive mattresses.

With PI we've had beds as low as 41cm and as high as 50cm.  Most of the ones we have slept in have been 47/48cm.

Fab read, thank you for all the food photos.. We cruised on Iona  Jan 22 and dined in Aqua every night   , didn't like the look of the huge 2 tier aft dining room. Our experience in Aqua was great and hoping to secure similar for the NYE cruise.

With regards mobility needs , my hubby needs a high bed . One time at West Quay Premier Inn they only had enough elephant feet for one side of the bed in the accessible room, we said that's fine... was too funny him being a good 8 ins higher than I when saying " night ,night," .

• Haha 2