OMG The prices

SSPhone

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I assure you I am not Pinnacle guy nor do I identify as a guy.

I believe this person was referring to a poster with the moniker pinnacleguy not you. Seems these two have the word pinnacle in their user name, the same style of writing, and are new posters. 

1 hour ago, Itried4498 said:

I mentioned cruising and you mentioned flying :).

Anyway, the price reductions are there.  Carnival, Princess & Norwegian are being more aggressive than Royal at the moment.  

Unless Royal is sailing well below capacity it would seem they don't need to be aggressive with price reductions. 

There has been 3-4 night sailings on liberty, freedom, and allure Oceanview balcony this winter going for anywhere between $800-1100 including gratuities and OBC for double occupancy. Which i would consider a fair deal and likely because those sailings needed help filling up. 

Aside from last year's and our upcoming December cruise for this year, I've always booked based on finding the lowest fares (v. booking based on itinerary or ship) and I've had to remain incredibly flexible to get the kind of cabin I want, for a price that doesn't shell-shock me. That said, I've had no luck when looking for 2024 and I'm nervous that I might not find anything, but I'll keep trying. You just never know when a suite GTY might pop up during an unpopular sail date 👀

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

And today its struggling to hold 104. I'm hoping the stock holds here and doest sell off again, for no reason. I bought all the way down to 80ish. Dipped below 80, but I was close enough. High beta, volatile. Up and down more than most. Dont count those unhatched chickens until you sell and lock in the price. When I put in for stock obc I go to plan a cruise and look to see if the obc posted. I dont remember the last time they contacted me to tell me it posted. 

They sent me an updated reservation document when they posted my OBC.

6 hours ago, alfaeric said:

It's non zero, sure, but they also won't be paying super premium prices like we are seeing on non premium cruise lines.  Previous economic slow downs very much show that.  Again, 2009.  

When you are struggling to put food on the table, it's very unlikely you will be spending $3000/pp for a 7 night cruise.  

As always, people have to go to extremes. I'm not talking about people trying to put food on the table. I talking those who won't deny themselves anything regardless of their ability to afford it. And I think you already knew the point I was trying to make.

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

As always, people have to go to extremes. I'm not talking about people trying to put food on the table. I talking those who won't deny themselves anything regardless of their ability to afford it. And I think you already knew the point I was trying to make.

If they are overspending as much as you think, they will end up struggling to put food on the table.

I'm not sure why you are so convinced that so many people are going into *that* much debt for a week vacation.   Some, sure.  A ship full?  Every week?  For all cruise lines?  No.  And they are the same ones who are buying RV's at a really high rate, too?  No.  I'm still convinced that for a majority of cruisers, even when they are using a CC to pay for it, they have the disposable income over a year to deal with it.

Feel free to be a pessimist about people and the economy.  But people are spending money in multiple sectors of the economy, and cruise ships are sailing full at really high prices- so high that people are constantly complaining about it.  And cruise ships fares are driven more by demand than basic inflation.  Demand of a luxury item.

Still, if people want to blame anyone for the high fares, it's the people spending that much money on cruises.  The cruise lines are just taking advantage of this time period.

28 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

I'm not sure why you are so convinced that so many people are going into *that* much debt for a week vacation.   Some, sure.  A ship full?  Every week?  For all cruise lines?  No.  

Hmmm, what did I say about extremes? Still a trillion in credit card debt is quite a number.

• Like 1

Cruise vacations are changing and no longer going to be considered a bargain vacation like it’s been the last 20 years. Some cruise lines may continue to keep prices lower but Royal executives have already confirmed plans to close the price gap between cruises and land resorts.

It’s still not even close when you price a week at a Beaches or Sandal’s resort so I expect prices to continue to increase slowly. Personally I’m ok with price increases as it should help take care of some of the issues I’ve experienced over the last few years on Royal ships.

Edited by CruisingHogFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Cruise vacations are changing and no longer going to be considered a bargain vacation like it’s been the last 20 years. Some cruise lines may continue to keep prices lower but Royal executives have already confirmed plans to close the price gap between cruises and land resorts.

It’s still not even close when you price a week at a Beaches or Sandal’s resort so I expect prices to continue to increase slowly. Personally I’m ok with price increases as it should help take care of some of the issues I’ve experienced over the last few years on Royal ships.

The market dictates pricing not Royal executives.  You can definitely score a better deal on Royal right now than you could a year ago.  No, the best deals aren't going to be on the Oasis, Icon or Quantum ships -- newest & unique ships will naturally command a premium.  Most of the users complaining about pricing restrict themselves to this.

Cruise vacations will always be "discounted" compared to land vacations.  Hotels have far more flexibility to control supply & demand than cruise ships, for starters.  Go to an all inclusive resort in the shoulder season and much of the property will be shut down.  Cruise ships simply can't do that.

I don't doubt prices are higher based off the posts here. But judging by my offers from Club Royale, they aren't filling up the ships as well as they did last year. To give context: my ordinary offer is consistently around $200 off. Now I get 2-3 emails a week with comp interior offers for shorter sailings. Usually not on the Oasis or Quantum classes, but still. Back in the day I rarely ever got comp offers and they only covered hurricane season. Now the emails are pouring in for Spring Break sailings, which I'd think would be in much higher demand.

• Like 1

I've wondered if the higher sticker prices for Royal is a step towards a modified all-inclusive pricing strategy like many competitors have. For example, Virgin has wifi and gratuities included, and the bar tab feature to pre-pay alcohol and more reasonable prices than Royal. Norwegian has their perks, Princess has something similar. Could be a strategy to an eventual change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I've wondered if the higher sticker prices for Royal is a step towards a modified all-inclusive pricing strategy like many competitors have. For example, Virgin has wifi and gratuities included, and the bar tab feature to pre-pay alcohol and more reasonable prices than Royal. Norwegian has their perks, Princess has something similar. Could be a strategy to an eventual change.

Just my opinion but imo no. Celebrity is their inclusive line and rcl isnt. This is working so no reason to include more with the price. .. the prices are just high. I'm sticker shocked too.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Just my opinion but imo no. Celebrity is their inclusive line and rcl isnt. This is working so no reason to include more with the price. .. the prices are just high. I'm sticker shocked too.

Celebrity’s all-inclusive pricing did not last very long (it is an option now on most fares), so I don’t see it happening with RCI either like you stated. 

• Like 2

Hi,

A lot also depends on what you want out of your cruise and that can also depend on who is travelling with you, kids or first time cruising friends etc.

Some may want to just relax and others may want to do just about everything there is, regardless of what it costs, or even if they can afford it.

Also, the cost of flights to the port and overnight hotel stays plus restaurant costs all factor in.

Obviously, if you live close to a port that has a good selection of ships with good ports of call, then the total cost will be less.

Also if you are Diamond and above and don't drink that much then not needing a drinks package will save too.

Also, watch out for various sales that pop up.

I booked a 12 night Canaries cruise in May 2025 on day 1 of release and the next day the price for the same Prom interior has gone up £300.00. However, the same room under the present sale is £151.33 less than what I paid. I have emailed my TA to request the difference be turned into OBC and will await their response.

If you are going to book the latest ships at peak season, then you are going to pay more, plus possibly get less a great experience as everyone is probably going to want to do the same things at the same time.

If you enjoy cruising and have a bit more time and are not too bothered about which ship or which ports, then a Trans-Atlantic is a very good option and if you are Diamond and above then you may not need to spend that much once on board. Also it is possible that flights one-way to/from Europe/USA are cheaper than some of the ones in Europe too.

We have got a TA on the Jewel in April 2024 for 15 nights plus flights from LHR to MIA and private car transport and a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for less than what it would cost us to have 2 7 night European cruises if we flew to Spain or Italy.

There are good options out there and at good prices, plus you should check periodically as the price you paid may drop and if you cannot get a refund on the difference, then you may still get an OBC which you can use for most things on board or even for trips, so could save you a bit more.

As it has also been mentioned, some land based holidays are far more expensive than cruising.

I am from the UK and the cost of a hotel by the sea during the sunny season costs far more for 4 nights than a cruise does for 7 and doesn't even include the cost of the food, yet alone all the other things like entertainment.

When you think of what you actually get for your money on a ship, it isn't all that bad. Its up to you if you want a Grand Suite, Balcony or just an Interior, which will impact the price, and its up to you if you want to but drinks and dinning packages and book loads of trips, which again ups the price, but if you just want to chill and are not bothered about doing too much during your time on board then some of the prices on some of the ships cannot be beaten.

Mick.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Celebrity’s all-inclusive pricing did not last very long (it is an option now on most fares), so I don’t see it happening with RCI either like you stated. 

Agreed, Celebrity isn't all inclusive.  You are not forced into all inclusive, it's just an option.  You can choose just the base cruise like Royal.  The "all inclusive" version from Celebrity can be very expensive.  It's not necessarily a bargain.  Don't get me wrong, we love Celebrity and have a cruise the week before this Christmas.  We did purchase the all inclusive version for our cabin since it was a great price when we booked a year ago.  We did no for the kids.  Didn't make sense.

I think going forward the all inclusive with Celebrity isn't even going to include gratuities, just drinks and Wi-Fi.

52 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Agreed, Celebrity isn't all inclusive.  You are not forced into all inclusive, it's just an option.  You can choose just the base cruise like Royal.  The "all inclusive" version from Celebrity can be very expensive.  It's not necessarily a bargain.  Don't get me wrong, we love Celebrity and have a cruise the week before this Christmas.  We did purchase the all inclusive version for our cabin since it was a great price when we booked a year ago.  We did no for the kids.  Didn't make sense.

I think going forward the all inclusive with Celebrity isn't even going to include gratuities, just drinks and Wi-Fi.

I booked a couple of cruises on Celebrity (Apex and Summit) when they first implemented the all inclusive fares because the prices were very good (cheaper than RCI if you included WiFI and the deluxe drink package). My guess is the fares were very competitive because everyone was “buying” the drink package, even if they didn’t drink. Too bad it didn’t last. Like you mentioned, I have found the all-inclusive fares on Celebrity to be on the expensive side for most cruises I have looked at over the last 6 months or so. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 11:29 AM, alfaeric said:

The true blame if to your fellow cruisers who are willing to pay that kind of money for the cruise.  If RCI can charge it, and people are willing to pay it- then they should go for it.  They don't cruise for charity's sake.

Someday, this post COVID surge will end.  I hope.  But in the mean time, one has to book as early as possible to get decent deals.  The days of last min cheap cruises is over for a while.

Or wait until last minute. Are you getting the "last minute deals" from CC? They make me wish I would have waited to book Dec now!

16 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Or wait until last minute. Are you getting the "last minute deals" from CC? They make me wish I would have waited to book Dec now!

Actually if you booked early for this dec you saved a bunch of $$$. I'm under $750 total inside balcony solo next week harmony. For 2025 and 2026, who knows what last minute prices will be. Prices are high and keep getting higher. I'll be looking last minute then as not booking any more cruises just to cruise. 

I booked a TA PC to spain may 2025 and then nothing until jan and feb Bella friends. I'll be looking last minute for deals in between. I'm on strike booking otherwise. The TA group price only $30 more for a balcony. Dont see that often on older ships. Voyager. Anyone for a TA deal out ot PC? 

On 11/21/2023 at 8:37 AM, asctony said:

'All forms of travel are seeing price declines and a drop in future demand.'

Checking airfares to FLL or MIA. Use to be $300/400 PP RT. 

Now, $800+ in Cabin. Been checking airfares for over 2 moths for Feb 24.

Where is the price declines???

I have checked all sources and don't see any declines. It's cheaper to cruise 

than to fly. JMHO!

My airfare for FLL during Xmas/NYE was $125 per person round trip.

1 hour ago, wreckem2013 said:

My airfare for FLL during Xmas/NYE was $125 per person round trip.

What airlines?

What airports?

Glad your fare was cheap.

I am checking Expedia and all other sites. Spirit & Delta out of DTW to FLL RT  for Feb 2024 no stops 2 people over $1,000.