QM2 - a day late and a dollar short

HopefulCruiser123

Well!  Who knew?  I've been planning a long, European trip with  my husband for spring 2025 when we will finally turn our small business over to a successor and retire.  I waited breathlessly for Celebrity to post the 2025 Transatlantic cruises schedule from the US to Barcelona.  To pacify me while I waited, I purchased learning courses in Portuguese, travel books, maps.  My husband is a full time wheelchair user so I scoured the internet for wheelchair vans, or at least doable rental vehicles that could haul us and all our stuff across Spain, Portugal and France.   I wanted to purchase an electric adaptive third wheel for his manual wheel chair to help navigate what I envision will be a sea of cobblestones. (he is skeptical).    I studied what our return trip would look like and it appeared (since we really don't want to fly with all our "stuff") that the QM2 would be a great way to travel back to the US about 6 weeks later.  So my European road tour would end in Paris, then we'd take the Eurostar to London for a few days then to Southampton and boom, bam, bang....we'd be sailing back home in style on the QM2!.  

Last week the schedule finally came out and there was one Celebrity ship that fulfilled the first phase of my master plan.  So I booked an accessible Sky Suite on the Equinox.  It was priced right, 16 glorious days (most at sea) in the very same cabin we had on our honeymoon cruise on her sister ship The Silhouette.  Drink package is included, we have access to the Retreat.  I was on a roll.   Next, I wanted to get those maps out so we could plan all our stops so that I could determine the optimal date to book the return trip home on the QM2.  We've decided to purchase a full wall map of Western Europe and put it on the wall in our Foyer to study.

This morning, as I drank my morning cup of coffee....I just moseyed on over to the Cunard website and (oh look, they are having a Black Friday Event) started searching for my ride home and found the perfect date.  June 6th popped up and I thought "Perfect".  I had thought a Princess Grill Suite would be ideal.  So I advanced my way through the booking, stopping halfway thru my reading of the epic novel The Passage Contract to go refill my coffee cup.  I settled back into my chair.  Now I was getting to the good stuff.  I clicked on the Princess Grill.  SOLD OUT.  It read.  Ooops.  Okaaaaay.   We can live with a Britannia Club Balcony.  SOLD OUT.  I worked my way back to the Britannia Balcony....SOLD OUT!  SOLD OUT! SOLD OUT!  I blew coffee from my nose.  I checked the Queens Grill.  SOLD OUT.

A little panicked now, I backed out to the next sailing two weeks later.  I did find a Queens Grill.  It really is a little more than I wanted to spend for a one week cruise and it doesn't include a drink package.  And it would mean the added expense of another two weeks in Europe.   I launched out of my chair and raced into the bedroom and slid into the home base that is my sleeping husband and quickly apprised him of the situation.  He muttered something and I think he said "okay, whatever you think is best".  It could have been something else, but that is what it sounded like to  me.  Fearing the web page would time out before I got back to my computer, I snatched my purse off the kitchen counter and I punched the throttle and raced back to my computer.  Getting my already slightly shell shocked credit card ready (I'm really surprised they haven't called me yet to see if it is really me booking and buying all this stuff), I booked the cruise, paid the $3000 deposit  and then filled out many (but not all) of the documents and questionnaires required until I ran out of time and had to leave for an early morning appointment.  

While I was gone......the receipt for payment arrived and my husband opened it.  When I got home he said, "you know you paid for the whole cruise up front, right?"  No.  I did not know that.  So I called Cunard and the very helpful gal on the phone says this happens a lot and the easiest thing to do would be to cancel the cruise with me on the line and then I could give her my credit card information again for the $3000 deposit.  So we did that and the card came back declined.  Because the $14,000 for this morning charge will remain on there for a few days before it drops off, I no longer had room on the card for another deposit.  I told her I could use another card but she said no, to keep it clean just call back Wednesday afternoon.

So, with the urgency somewhat forestalled, we have had time to weigh the pros and cons of the timing, the cost and of even how prepared we are for the QM2.  I hope to sail this ship someday, but maybe not on the back end of a trip where we will be hauling 6 weeks of luggage and equipment.  I would really love the idea of dressing nice in the evening and in order to do that, we would need to bring different clothes than the clothes that we will be bringing for the rest of our trip.  We already have so much stuff we are bringing.

So, sometimes things happen for a reason.   We'll probably fly home and ship some of our belongings home ahead of us. We'll have a little longer in Europe without having to extend our total  vacation beyond the original goal.  Having been given an opportunity to cool my jets, I am kind of relieved.  I'll call Cunard tomorrow and tell them I am going to let the cancelled trip go.  So, if there is anyone on these boards looking for a Queens Grill from Southampton to NYC on June 24 2025.....there is one that is about to be on the market.  

It’s not clear to me what website you were on. But I just checked the main Cunard US site, and for the June 6, 2025 TA (M514–we’re booked on that), there are plenty of Princess and Queens Grill suites available:  nothing is sold out, not even close. (That sailing is not available on the Black Friday sale, only on the regular Explore with More fares.)

Now, as everyone on this board will confirm, the Cunard website is a dysfunctional mess; I’ve had it tell me “sold out” when hours or minutes earlier it showed ample availability. And it’s possible that you may have had trouble navigating the booking and room selection process; its design is devilishly clever at maximizing user-unfriendliness. 

What I’m trying to say—forgive my being so long winded—is that if you want to sail on June 6, there’s plenty of room. Give it another try.

I wouldn't cancel.

Westbound is the best way to go with 5 x 25 hour days,

It would probably be the highlight of your entire trip.

We did the TA round trip a few months ago (again). QG was up to its usual standard and always remains probably the best restaurant(s) we've ever been in.

We're in QG on QV later this week (again).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

It’s not clear to me what website you were on.

It was the Cunard website.  We used a travel agent on our honeymoon cruise and the reservation got messed up several times.  My husband wondered if we really had any benefit from using one the last time.  I will say, in my professional career, I don't have a very good track record of booking travel for myself or others.  Thank goodness I don't have to do it very often.   I kinda like the idea of a professional.

31 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

The Black Friday sale is capacity controlled. If you're searching with that filter search again for all sale and non-sale fares.

Thanks.  I'll give that a try and see what I learn.  Despite the hassle of extra clothes, I really was a little disappointed with having to curtail part of the trip.  But, not by much.  We are going to have a fabulous time no matter what happens.  

9 minutes ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

Thanks.  I'll give that a try and see what I learn.  Despite the hassle of extra clothes, I really was a little disappointed with having to curtail part of the trip.  But, not by much.  We are going to have a fabulous time no matter what happens.  

If you are really interested in doing this trip, why not ship your formal clothes needed for QM2 to the ship prior to you leaving.  Your luggage will be in your cabin once you board the ship.  They pick the luggage up at your home about a week before you are boarding.  The only issue you may have is getting a friend/relative to keep your luggage until the carrier picks it up.  Luggage Forward is a good option.  Many years ago we used DHL and the process went off without a hitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shippmates said:

If you are really interested in doing this trip, why not ship your formal clothes needed for QM2 to the ship prior to you leaving.  Your luggage will be in your cabin once you board the ship.  They pick the luggage up at your home about a week before you are boarding.  The only issue you may have is getting a friend/relative to keep your luggage until the carrier picks it up.  Luggage Forward is a good option.  Many years ago we used DHL and the process went off without a hitch.

Agreed — we are huge fans of using Luggage Forward (available through the Cunard website, whether you book your crossing through them or not)  to send the fancy clothes to/from the ship so we can travel Europe around unhindered.

Also, I heartily endorse using an agent. There are great programs out there available through agents for US POS that provide, among other perks included drinks packages for Grills passengers. 

My few ideas:  Don't give up on the idea of a QM2 return sailing.  First, if you can, book with a travel agent who will be better able to navigate through the dodgy Cunard website than you are.  Second, if the crossing is sold out, have your agent put your name on a wait list.  We have done this a couple of times within the past 2 years and we moved off the wait list to a booking fairly quickly.  And finally, yes you will probably have a lot of equipment and luggage from your incredible European adventure, but if you are willing to book Princess Grill or QG on QM2, remember that you will have a lot of storage space in your stateroom.  You seem to be energetic and clever, so don't give up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

It really is a little more than I wanted to spend for a one week cruise and it doesn't include a drink package.

When booking Grills suites from the US (as I see you are from here) you get gratuities paid and a Grill’s Drinks package included (drinks up to $12, not the $13.50 of the full package). The Grill’s Drinks package covers plenty though and we took advantage of it for both alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks. Please factor that into the price too. 

6 hours ago, shippmates said:

Shippmates, OMIGOSH!  What a GREAT idea!  I just LOVE Cruise Critic. I was unaware of this option, particularly through the cruise line.  Thank you so much and to all of you who have offered such great advice.  I'll look into all of these things and see what might work for us.  

@HopefulCruiser123, I know of one bug on the Cunard website that does make it look like categories are sold out when they actually are not. When I start a booking on the Cunard US website for the June 6, 2025 westbound crossing, it shows availability in all categories including Princess Grill. Here's what it looks like when I select Princess Grill Suites.

SoldOutBookingErrorStep1.thumb.jpg.4fd18c98e822d63a4e68a50e3cac4695.jpg

Then when I select "View fares", I get this screen showing "Our lowest fare" as Sold out and the "Explore with More" fare as available.

SoldOutBookingErrorStep2.thumb.jpg.79d357a89331ab0e6804fcb3df702b71.jpg

If I then click the X to close that "Select your fare" window instead of selecting a fare, this is what happens. It now certainly looks like the Princess Grill Suites category is Sold out.

SoldOutBookingErrorStep3.thumb.jpg.df35be9393fbbedaa2272ccbda89e880.jpg

However, if I start over at this point and actually select the "Explore with More" fare this time, it then takes me to a voyage summary screen where it has chosen suite 10016 for me.

SoldOutBookingErrorStep4.thumb.jpg.8f1912ad25fb6ac4851ca8afea5d104c.jpg

Now I don't know if you ran into this specific bug. Probably not. But the morale of this story is that it should be possible to book a Princess Grill Suite on the June 6, 2025 westbound crossing using the Cunard US website. Now I'm not saying booking directly with Cunard via their website is the best way to go. Just saying it's possible if you manage to navigate through bugs such as this.

By the way, by my count there are currently 47 Princess Grill suites available on the June 6, 2025 westbound crossing. I wish you well in securing one of those if you do decide to proceed with your initial plans which went so awry the first time around.

• Like 2

my husband isnt a full time wheelchair user but has walking difficulties

even with wheelchair assistance airports are so stressful we have decided to just go cruise from home ports from now on

we did QM2 back to back southampton to new york last year and loved it-we were in standard balcony cabin

6 hours ago, NE John said:

When booking Grills suites from the US (as I see you are from here) you get gratuities paid and a Grill’s Drinks package included (drinks up to $12, not the $13.50 of the full package). The Grill’s Drinks package covers plenty though and we took advantage of it for both alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks. Please factor that into the price too. 

From personal experience, I know those perks don't apply to all bookings. Some promotions do not offer it.  I have seen some recent promotions that don't mention the drinks and gratuities for the Grills.

4 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

From personal experience, I know those perks don't apply to all bookings. Some promotions do not offer it.  I have seen some recent promotions that don't mention the drinks and gratuities for the Grills.

It may not show on the Cunard site but ask for the Grills drinks package and it’s there. 
Same scenario you mentioned when I booked Alaska but it was part of the Grills fare. My price was a special “call us” deal and it was a really good deal for PG. 

10 hours ago, NE John said:

It may not show on the Cunard site but ask for the Grills drinks package and it’s there. 
Same scenario you mentioned when I booked Alaska but it was part of the Grills fare. My price was a special “call us” deal and it was a really good deal for PG. 

As recently as last year we had an Alaska cruise in PG. We booked early and received OBC and the drinks and gratuities package. Our travelling companion booked later at a much lower fare and did not receive any of these benefits. Enquiries were made through our travel agent as to why and Cunard said that the Grills offers are not available on some substantially lower fares.  It sounds like a similar policy to not providing the promised OBC on Future Cruise Deposits on some promotional fares.  

For next season I see three fares for Alaska cruises. The highest fare promises the usual drinks and gratuities. The two lower fares including the Black Friday sale do not mention them. If the package is available when not promised then that is a great thing.  But I would want to see it in writing before I started signing for drinks.

I remember seeing this posting a few weeks ago.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2973745-cunard-black-friday-sale/

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

As recently as last year we had an Alaska cruise in PG. We booked early and received OBC and the drinks and gratuities package. Our travelling companion booked later at a much lower fare and did not receive any of these benefits. Enquiries were made through our travel agent as to why and Cunard said that the Grills offers are not available on some substantially lower fares.  It sounds like a similar policy to not providing the promised OBC on Future Cruise Deposits on some promotional fares.  

For next season I see three fares for Alaska cruises. The highest fare promises the usual drinks and gratuities. The two lower fares including the Black Friday sale do not mention them. If the package is available when not promised then that is a great thing.  But I would want to see it in writing before I started signing for drinks.

I remember seeing this posting a few weeks ago.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2973745-cunard-black-friday-sale/

I booked directly on the phone with Cunard and asked for every perk in writing and received it. I guess they are giving choice of pricing for those not wanting drinks. 
A drinks package on a cruise vs a TA is a “watered down” benefit anyway, being off the ship for much of the time. 

Edited by NE John

So an update (with a happy ending).  So yesterday I received a call from someone at Cunard (routine call to flesh out the trip).  They thought the June 24 sailing was still on (even though we had cancelled it).  I explained the situation and stated that June 6 would have been our preference so she searched the site and pretty much came up with the same result that I was getting.  The cabins show as available until you actually select the cabin category and then it changes to SOLD OUT.  There was a hold on one Accessible Princess Grill Suite and I told her we would be interested in that or a Premium Balcony (not one with an obstruction).  She asked for some time to work on it and called me back a few hours later with an offer for an Accessible  Premium Balcony, Aft on deck 8, port side.  I asked her to call me back today and my husband and I discussed it and this morning we put a deposit on the balcony.  I am very happy with this decision.  It's much more affordable, drink packages aren't that expensive and thanks to all of you wonderful seasoned travelers, we will be doing a luggage forward for both of our cruises to help with the specific items for the various stages of our trip. It really helped to make the final decision easy.  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  

• Like 9

Thank you for getting back to us, @HopefulCruiser123. Glad to hear you were able to book the June 6th crossing on QM2.

The part I missed even though you made it abundantly clear was your requirement for an accessible cabin. The behavior you have described is exactly what happens when you request an accessible cabin. You can't actually see availability of accessible cabins on the Cunard website until you check each individual category and in your case get the dreaded "Room is not available." message for each one. I'm not sure I can call that a bug but it's certainly not very user-friendly. Happy to hear you were able to get a satisfactory cabin in the end.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 1:10 AM, rmsEtruria said:

It’s not clear to me what website you were on. But I just checked the main Cunard US site, and for the June 6, 2025 TA (M514–we’re booked on that), there are plenty of Princess and Queens Grill suites available:  nothing is sold out, not even close. (That sailing is not available on the Black Friday sale, only on the regular Explore with More fares.)

Now, as everyone on this board will confirm, the Cunard website is a dysfunctional mess; I’ve had it tell me “sold out” when hours or minutes earlier it showed ample availability. And it’s possible that you may have had trouble navigating the booking and room selection process; its design is devilishly clever at maximizing user-unfriendliness. 

What I’m trying to say—forgive my being so long winded—is that if you want to sail on June 6, there’s plenty of room. Give it another try.

I just had this - the Cunard website showed all 3 person rooms sold out but when I called they were able to find a cabin for my family.  You should call and see

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Thank you for getting back to us, @HopefulCruiser123. Glad to hear you were able to book the June 6th crossing on QM2.

The part I missed even though you made it abundantly clear was your requirement for an accessible cabin. The behavior you have described is exactly what happens when you request an accessible cabin. You can't actually see availability of accessible cabins on the Cunard website until you check each individual category and in your case get the dreaded "Room is not available." message for each one. I'm not sure I can call that a bug but it's certainly not very user-friendly. Happy to hear you were able to get a satisfactory cabin in the end.

@HopefulCruiser123 I’m afraid I, too, missed that crucial point on your original post—my apologies. But I’m glad you did get a cabin you are happy with in the end. We’ll be on the same crossing.

9 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

@HopefulCruiser123 I’m afraid I, too, missed that crucial point on your original post—my apologies. But I’m glad you did get a cabin you are happy with in the end. We’ll be on the same crossing.

Thank you and glad to meet a fellow traveler a whole year and a half in advance!  Happy Thanksgiving!