Hideaway beach impact on Coco Cay

edrussell

My wife and I were chatting about Hideaway beach last night (we are booked on Wonder going to Coco Cay in Feb 2024) and we checked via the cruise planner and the price was still quite low for the day.  Now we are NOT excursion type people on Coco Cay.  In all of our visits we've never spent a cent on anything there except for tips and have had a blast on every visit.  We love it there.  Was wondering what people thought the impact would be of Hideaway beach?  On busy larger ship days I see it as a positive to spread the crowds out a little.  We aren't likely to pay for access, but I am willing to bet many will.

Has this opened yet?  Was thinking I recalled sometime about now. I think it'll attract the 40-50 set (Gen X?) traveling without kids.  If there is a loud DJ pumping out Top 40 Hip Hop,  the older crowd will stay away. But I'm guessing it could reduce the people who usually head to Coco Beach Club and won't impact the other beaches.

Edited by crewsweeper

I was definitely opposed to it when it was first advertised because it sounded like a non-stop, loud party instead of a relaxing beach day. There is less emphasis on the party atmosphere now. I just checked (since you brought it to my attention), and it has a 50% off Black Friday price of $28.99 (total for two is $64 with taxes) for April 2024. I booked it with the intent to check reviews carefully and cancel if my first impression was correct. 

If I booked it after already deciding it wasn’t for me, I suspect there will be plenty of other people who book it just out of curiosity. It was the $28.99 price that caught my attention. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I was definitely opposed to it when it was first advertised because it sounded like a non-stop, loud party instead of a relaxing beach day. There is less emphasis on the party atmosphere now. I just checked (since you brought it to my attention), and it has a 50% off Black Friday price of $28.99 (total for two is $64 with taxes) for April 2024. I booked it with the intent to check reviews carefully and cancel if my first impression was correct. 

If I booked it after already deciding it wasn’t for me, I suspect there will be plenty of other people who book it just out of curiosity. It was the $28.99 price that caught my attention. 

I am like you were.  I'm not interested in a non-stop party atmosphere.  I haven't seen any indication there is less emphasis on the party atmosphere.  This is how it is described in my cruise planner...

You’ve landed on our private island and found the ultimate beachfront party in paradise just for adults — Hideaway Beach. Swim right up to the popping Hideaway Bar, fueled by non-stop, DJ-spun beats. Or soak up the rhythm at four more watering holes serving expertly crafted libations. Keep the energy fed with tasty pizzas from Slice of Paradise and flavorful all-American faves from Snack Shack

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I am like you were.  I'm not interested in a non-stop party atmosphere.  I haven't seen any indication there is less emphasis on the party atmosphere.  This is how it is described in my cruise planner...

You’ve landed on our private island and found the ultimate beachfront party in paradise just for adults — Hideaway Beach. Swim right up to the popping Hideaway Bar, fueled by non-stop, DJ-spun beats. Or soak up the rhythm at four more watering holes serving expertly crafted libations. Keep the energy fed with tasty pizzas from Slice of Paradise and flavorful all-American faves from Snack Shack

Great ☹️. I caught the “four more watering holes” but not the “non-stop DJ-spun beats”.  Oh, well, I will have ninety days to read reviews before I cancel. 

I remember bands at two locations being mentioned and hoped they wouldn’t have other music conflicting with the bands. 

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

This is one thing I never understood... the regular pool is HUGE, but it only has ONE bar and it's always PACKED, often five people deep at every single bar stool.  

With all the emphasis on selling drinks to people, why don't they have more bars at the Oasis Lagoon?  There are never enough roving waiters, or else the line wouldn't always have 50-100 people waiting for a drink at the swim-up bar.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Great ☹️. I caught the “four more watering holes” but not the “non-stop DJ-spun beats”.  Oh, well, I will have ninety days to read reviews before I cancel. 

I remember bands at two locations being mentioned and hoped they wouldn’t have other music conflicting with the bands. 

Maybe I'll try the same thing.  Buy now and wait for reviews.  I've got one late next year that I have nothing planned for and the price was 33.99. at that price it might be worth at least waiting on reviews.  

15 minutes ago, brillohead said:

This is one thing I never understood... the regular pool is HUGE, but it only has ONE bar and it's always PACKED, often five people deep at every single bar stool.  

With all the emphasis on selling drinks to people, why don't they have more bars at the Oasis Lagoon?  There are never enough roving waiters, or else the line wouldn't always have 50-100 people waiting for a drink at the swim-up bar.

My take is basically they've already sold the drinks (most have probably bought the drink package).   With less bartenders and bars, they are cutting costs since you might only be able to get one drink per hour.  With more bartenders and bars, you might be able to get maybe 3 drinks an hour, thereby saving Royal by not serving every 2 out of 3 drinks.  Does that make sense?  Just a thought.

• Like 7

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Maybe I'll try the same thing.  Buy now and wait for reviews.  I've got one late next year that I have nothing planned for and the price was 33.99. at that price it might be worth at least waiting on reviews.  

I figured I had nothing to lose except the use of $64 for a few months, and the possibility of gaining something new at a good price. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I figured I had nothing to lose except the use of $64 for a few months, and the possibility of gaining something new at a good price. 

Oh brother... you convinced me... 🙂 

I just booked it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Great discussion thus far, I also noticed the DJ being mentioned in the ads etc.  The adults only aspect is really what would peek our interest though.  However if that comes with a full volume DJ then it isn't worth it for us.  I was surprised at the 'low' price.  Wonder how quicky it will climb and if there is an upper limit to how many people RCCL will want to cram in there.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, edrussell said:

Great discussion thus far, I also noticed the DJ being mentioned in the ads etc.  The adults only aspect is really what would peek our interest though.  However if that comes with a full volume DJ then it isn't worth it for us.  I was surprised at the 'low' price.  Wonder how quicky it will climb and if there is an upper limit to how many people RCCL will want to cram in there.  

I hope that Royal will not sell more passes than they have loungers to accommodate. Paying for a beach experience and not being able to find a lounger is not good. I am pleased with the location, as I walked from South Beach a couple of weeks ago because the tram was impossible - it looks like a shorter, less crowded walk. 

To answer your original question, you have already seen two couples who originally said “No!” change our minds and do a conditional booking. I think there will be a number of people who think it sounds great, are just curious, or are willing to try it for the relatively low initial price (that we know is going to increase). It just might result in fewer people in the other areas. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edrussell said:

On busy larger ship days I see it as a positive to spread the crowds out a little.  We aren't likely to pay for access, but I am willing to bet many will.

I don't know.  This seems to be a place for younger people who want a loud party atmosphere.  When I was the age to enjoy this, the price tag would've kept me away.  Now that I can easily afford it, it doesn't appeal to me. 

However, with the popularity of Coco Cay, I welcome more beaches, more loungers and more space.

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Wow it's nowhere I thought it would be...way at the back and north of Beach Club.  That's really out of the way.  I'm glad we bought it now.  I think it'll be worth it.

I just looked up its location.  It's bigger than I thought it would be!  

2 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Should have called it “Out of the way beach “

Hideaway's a synonym for "out of the way".  

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

-It adds capacity

-It moves some of the party crowd away from the gen pop areas of the island

-It potentially makes the entire island louder with the DJ

These first two are positives, and I don't think the music will carry over to the quieter beaches.  

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

-It adds capacity

-It moves some of the party crowd away from the gen pop areas of the island

-It potentially makes the entire island louder with the DJ

Yep it adds capacity, now they will dock 2 Oasis class ships there at the same time.  If not enough purchase the Hideaway guess what...more people on the rest of the island.

It was  great idea when they originally announced it was complimentary.  One Jason got his fingers in the pot they may now have an issue with crowding on the rest of the island.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yep it adds capacity, now they will dock 2 Oasis class ships there at the same time.  If not enough purchase the Hideaway guess what...more people on the rest of the island.

It was  great idea when they originally announced it was complimentary.  One Jason got his fingers in the pot they may now have an issue with crowding on the rest of the island.

Yes I was excited about when Michael Bayley first started talking about it and saying it would be complementary. That didn't happen. The times we've been to Coco Cay at South Beach we've not had any issues with kids. I'd just as soon sit there on free loungers and enjoy my time rather than paying to sit at the Hideaway area.

• Like 4

We booked this on our upcoming May 2024 3 day Reflection cruise burning some OBC.  IF the reports and videos come back not to our liking, we will cancel.  I am not a fan of CocoCay and this is thankfully the last cruise I will be there.  Hopefully it's nice and we will have a good time.  We liked the pizza aspect and do have a drink package.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

My take is basically they've already sold the drinks (most have probably bought the drink package).   With less bartenders and bars, they are cutting costs since you might only be able to get one drink per hour.  With more bartenders and bars, you might be able to get maybe 3 drinks an hour, thereby saving Royal by not serving every 2 out of 3 drinks.  Does that make sense?  Just a thought.

I could see that.... IF they weren't going to have FIVE different bars at Hideaway Beach!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

-It adds capacity

I think they want to get to the point of being able to dock two Oasis / Icon class ships at the same time without crowding.

There has only been one occasion where two Oasis class ships have been docked there at the same time.

22 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

If you think anyone at that bar is gonna settle for 1 drink an hour , you are sadly mistaken.

Cheers,cheers , and cheers again

20 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't know.  This seems to be a place for younger people who want a loud party atmosphere.  When I was the age to enjoy this, the price tag would've kept me away.  Now that I can easily afford it, it doesn't appeal to me.

Have you ever spent anytime after lunch near the main bar at Oasis lagoon ? I don't think you could create more of a loud party atmosphere than is already available there ! 

Because of this , I'm surprised they are implying the adult only will be made to be a party area of any kind .

Cheers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

If you think anyone at that bar is gonna settle for 1 drink an hour , you are sadly mistaken.

Cheers,cheers , and cheers again

I was simply using this formula as a way for Royal to continue to cut costs.  Strickly as a hypothetical scenario.