Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

18 hours ago, frosty52 said:

That night photo is AMAZING!!!  I know right where you were when you took it - I live on the other side of the river. I never seemed to be near the river when they came thru but saw many photos after the fact.  None of the photos were as good as yours.

Thank you. I took it with my iPhone 12, I think it may have been just luck as my photos don’t usually turn out as good as that one. 
I always check on the Marine traffic app to see when the ships are coming through. We had 7 different cruise ships come through last year several times. 
Will have to keep an eye our for you @island lady and try and get a photo of Viking Octantis. 🙂 

Jenni

• Like 2

11 hours ago, island lady said:

Oh wow....thank you soooo much for posting those pictures!!  We are so much looking forward to the trip.  Will be from Milwaukee to Nuuk for 5 weeks.  Such a pretty ship!  Love their "Hangar" barn door on the aft to launch their "toys".  🥰

What a fabulous trip that will be too. I’ve loved following along with all the others on this thread, hearing all the news and seeing your amazing photos. Hopefully you’ll do another “live” when you get on for the fourth quester of the WC in July. 🙂 🤞🤞

Jenni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pstone1 said:

We were going to go to the talk in the Theatre at 11 this morning, but there are so many whales out there as we are going by, we couldn’t tear ourselves away!  Just amazing!

As beautiful as it was yesterday, listening to the whales as they went by was my favorite thing!  They were very vocal and I think the sounds were amplified inside the Bay!

WOW!!!!  How awesome!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

This is not to insult anybody or humble brag... but if you ever get an opportunity to do an Antarctica expedition cruise (beyond scenic... like go on the peninsula and/or continent), it's like all of these photos almost every day.

We get to see a lot more 'stuff' coming up😉

• Like 4

On 1/12/2024 at 5:55 PM, island lady said:

Once again...you are the king of photos.  😉   Me...I have only just learned to even post photos...and not doing a good job of it.  Sigh....  

You are doing an EXCELLENT job, Pat!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cruiselover04 said:

What a fabulous trip that will be too. I’ve loved following along with all the others on this thread, hearing all the news and seeing your amazing photos. Hopefully you’ll do another “live” when you get on for the fourth quester of the WC in July. 🙂 🤞🤞

Jenni

Thanks!  Yes, I will rejoin the posts once again in Barcelona.  Though for some reason if this thread has gone "poof" by then (which I don't think it will).... I will restart.  😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Current position....pretty much in the middle of nowhere.  😉  And a balmy 39 degrees, but full sunshine!  🌞

The big difference, is though we have a rockin rollin situation again....it's a mild swell.  Not the crazy seas we had on the way down.  So, at this time, we should make the Falklands on a 2nd try.....perhaps.   Weather showing 28 mile an hour winds tomorrow, however.  Not sure at what point they can't tender, or how protected our tender area is.  

In the meantime...welcome to yet another "day at sea".  

20240114_052909.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Remember when I posted the picture of the little life/speed boat collecting a net full of floating ice slushies in Paradise Bay Antarctica?  Apparently this is where it ended up...on the stage...on the pool deck.  

And is the closest thing Bucky got to stepping foot on an iceberg...actual foot...brrrr...

Yes Dave, barefoot...no flip flop.  😆

20240114_074504.jpg

20240114_074558.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 14

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

Remember when I posted the picture of the little life/speed boat collecting a net full of floating ice slushies in Paradise Bay Antarctica?  Apparently this is where it ended up...on the stage...on the pool deck.  

And is the closest thing Bucky got to stepping foot on an iceberg...actual foot...brrrr...

20240114_074504.jpg

20240114_074558.jpg

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Current position....pretty much in the middle of nowhere.  😉  And a balmy 39 degrees, but full sunshine!  🌞

The big difference, is though we have a rockin rollin situation again....it's a mild swell.  Not the crazy seas we had on the way down.  So, at this time, we should make the Falklands on a 2nd try.....perhaps.   Weather showing 28 mile an hour winds tomorrow, however.  Not sure at what point they can't tender, or how protected our tender area is.  

20240114_052909.jpg

I think as long as the waves/swells aren't to bad you should be able to tender at Falkland Island as long as you get a little teamwork from  larger ship  Celebrity Eclipse blocking some of the wind for the smaller Serenade.

The wind is coming from the island side, so if Eclipse pulls parallel with island and Serenade pulls parallel with Eclipse and you guys tender on the opposite side of Eclipse  where there now should be pretty much no wind on your side of Serenade where you can get into the tenders.

Probably tender in from North of the Airport Strip. Both ships are to large to go into the docking area.

Still Going to come down to the waves/swells if you can get in the tenders safely or not though.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

When you were in Alaska, didn't you go on any of the glaciers?

When we did an Alaska cruise, we did a helicopter excursion to one, so we were standing on an unborn iceberg.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Next he'll be doing the Polar Plunge. 👣😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

33 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

When you were in Alaska, didn't you go on any of the glaciers?

When we did an Alaska cruise, we did a helicopter excursion to one, so we were standing on an unborn iceberg.   

Have done Alaska 5 times.  This last time our usual B2B on Radiance was cancelled (Covid) but we still went there, simply replacing the 2 week cruise with a stay in a cabin in Homer, owned by the "Alaska the Last Frontier" gang.  We are booked again on Radiance B2B for next year.  

Indeed, they put the little speed boat in the water and actually chopped the chunk from the Glacier.  They did an ice carving with it.  

Have done the Taku Glacier float plane tour to the Salmon bake several times, and want to do it again.  They fly over 5 different glaciers.  The Salmon bake is at the foot of the glacier.  Beautiful.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think as long as the waves/swells aren't to bad you should be able to tender at Falkland Island as long as you get a little teamwork from  larger ship  Celebrity Eclipse blocking some of the wind for the smaller Serenade.

The wind is coming from the island side, so if Eclipse pulls parallel with island and Serenade pulls parallel with Eclipse and you guys tender on the opposite side of Eclipse  where there now should be pretty much no wind on your side of Serenade where you can get into the tenders.

Probably tender in from North of the Airport Strip. Both ships are to large to go into the docking area.

Still Going to come down to the waves/swells if you can get in the tenders safely or not though.

@island ladyplease forward the above instructions to Capt Stig.😁

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Yes, I will rejoin the posts once again in Barcelona.  Though for some reason if this thread has gone "poof" by then (which I don't think it will).... I will restart.  😉 

I hope it won't go poof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

20240114_074504.jpg

20240114_074558.jpg

While I’ve never stood on an iceberg , back in the 70s I did a trip from the East Coast (NY) to the West Coast (Oregon to California) and I have a photo somewhere of me laying on a glacier in Oregon. We did the 3 week trip in August and I had no idea how cold it would be in Wyoming and Oregon. It was snowing in Yellowstone and as we drove I had to change from my summer crop top to winter clothes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, island lady said:

20240114_052909.jpg

Wish they'd show wind speed(Brilliance OTS use to) and more info like maybe Waves, etc.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

@island ladyplease forward the above instructions to Capt Stig.😁

LOL...I have that poster on "ignore" and only see his posts when someone quotes him....so I guess the captain is on his own.  😁😆

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3
  • Haha 11