Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

On 1/20/2024 at 7:48 PM, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

When the time comes up, you will know.  DH was in the same field as you.  Medicine was what he wanted to do since he was 4 or 5 yrs old.  He loved being on OB/Gyn.  He actually wasn’t ready to retire but covid changed the practice of medicine.  It changed how one could interact with patients, how much time you spent with them.  A lot of the things that made the doctor/patient relationship so rewarding everyday were gone.  Clinical teaching was a big part of his day to day practice and that became different, too.  At that point, it didn’t look like things would turn around very quickly, that it would go back to normal.  So, it seemed the right time for him to step away from practicing medicine.  He kept his medical license so he would have options and see what happens. 

So, you will find your time, too.  You have colleagues you can stay in touch with.  Pick up new hobbies.  DH is playing more golf.  His suggestion is to keep your options open.  Doors will open.  Soon after DH retired, an opportunity came up for him to consult for a medical device company that involves technology and teaching while learning new things.  He does miss teaching, his patients, his residents, work family and even being on-call but does enjoy this new chapter of life now that includes working out, a little golf, cruising and time with family.  And you will write your own new chapter, too.

I hope you enjoy Odyssey next month.  It is one of my favorite ships, especially the Windjammer.  

I was an RN for 43 years and retired 10 years ago.  Have never regretted it and am so busy I never get bored.  We love to travel and so glad I don't have to worry about getting whatever vacation time I want. You will love it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, island lady said:

My sister in law runs around in shorts in Wisconsin when it gets over 60 degrees.  😄 

I live in Wisconsin and I do the same thing! As soon as the snow melts I start wearing my flip flops as well. 

We just got done with a week of brutally cold weather so I would be thrilled if it was 60.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

My sister in law runs around in shorts in Wisconsin when it gets over 60 degrees.  😄 

It's 45 degrees here and I just came in from washing our car and truck wearing shorts. Kathy was surprised I was wearing a long sleeved T shirt. 😁

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, #1packerfan said:

I live in Wisconsin and I do the same thing! As soon as the snow melts I start wearing my flip flops as well. 

We just got done with a week of brutally cold weather so I would be thrilled if it was 60.

Got an email from her 1/2 hour ago...she said it was 21 degrees there.  Hmmm...seeing those ice bergs recently does bring a memory back with that.  😄 

10 hours ago, island lady said:

Another (oh yaaah 🥴).... day at sea, and then we have B2B ports of call starting tomorrow.  🙂 

It should be good to get back on solid ground again😇

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Perfect filet in MDR last night

20240121_190750.thumb.jpg.6dac7f7a175be3b70fa2c1072f0e3262.jpg

Sauce on side next time

20240121_190406.thumb.jpg.791f8d9e00149e2dd949481054c6a11f.jpg

Lobster appetizer 😉

20240121_185212.thumb.jpg.603089574b74bb06837f223528c80752.jpg

And the chilled soups are back😁

Peach last night

20240121_184701.thumb.jpg.3bbaeb7114c68f2d50d9fdbc1b2e74f8.jpg

Oh my gosh I loved the cold soups too, especially the strawberry soup!!  If they serve that take a picture please!  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, island lady said:

After a week of below freezing temps, we finally got up to 32° and even made it all the way to 41°. I’m with your SIL. It’s almost shorts weather! 😁

Edited by barbeyg
  • Haha 2

Welcome to Valparaiso.  🙂 

Another freight yard dock up, with no walking on the pier...shuttle to terminal.  We meet at 8:30 for our winery tour.  All aboard at 3:30 and will have a bit of time in the old town section to walk around after the winery.  

We have been told by several officers that we are getting some fresh stock.... one container, not sure if this little guy is the one.  Wonder if there will be any Kim Crawford SB inside...of which we have been out of for weeks, along with Bucky's favorite Stella Beer.  😞   Yeah...dream on.  😉 

20240123_035937.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 8

Yes sir, your new shipment comes with "frosting" free of charge!  😄  

BTW...anyone eating on the aft outside dining of the WJ...don't take your attention off your donut...it may grow wings.  😄 

20240123_035901.jpg

20240123_040002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Huh...they used that little container as a "landing platform" for the gangway.  And a couple of them for shelter to catch the shuttle buses.  

Silver Seas Silver Nova came in just after us.  Lucky them, docked up at the little in town dock.  Beautiful yacht style ship.  728 pax, less than a year old.  Will try to get picture when we leave in an hour.  12th and newest Silver Seas luxury ship.  And of course....owned....by ....RCI.  😉   $$$

20240123_055230.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Pat, Laura, Pat II, pstone, and all onboard,

I so much appreciate your pictures and posts on the "real" thing happening. I saw a video somewhere that was showing some onboard tiktokers complaining about the silliest things: someone thought their inside was like a prison cell😆 Another one seems not to like the crew coming up to greet them when at the WJ and asking if everything was OK😁, One was complaining about not being invited to Pinnacle events and not being given priority and not being included in the full world cruiser events🤣, etc etc etc. It was entertaining and lots of laughs.

Hope everyone is enjoying their excursion today!

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Pat, Laura, Pat II, pstone, and all onboard,

I so much appreciate your pictures and posts on the "real" thing happening. I saw a video somewhere that was showing some onboard tiktokers complaining about the silliest things: someone thought their inside was like a prison cell😆 Another one seems not to like the crew coming up to greet them when at the WJ and asking if everything was OK😁, One was complaining about not being invited to Pinnacle events and not being given priority and not being included in the full world cruiser events🤣, etc etc etc. It was entertaining and lots of laughs.

Hope everyone is enjoying their excursion today!

I have been watching some of the Tiktokers on Youtube.. What a bunch of crybabies, glad to hear the cruisers are doing fine and enjoying the World cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I have been watching some of the Tiktokers on Youtube.. What a bunch of crybabies, glad to hear the cruisers are doing fine and enjoying the World cruise. 

I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for, the influencer or the followers:

download.jpg

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

21 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

My neighbor was running the snowblower wearing shorts.

Where are you in SE PA, our friends were up from the shore and he was out doing my driveway in shorts, DH has rotator cuff issues, I was shoveling around his truck so they didn't have to walk in the snow to get to it. We are in Southampton so it could be my house. He wears shorts so much it's weird to see him in long pants. I was shocked when we went to the yucky Eagles game on NYE that he was wearing long pants, but since we were going to be outside for 7 hours I get it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Huh...they used that little container as a "landing platform" for the gangway.  And a couple of them for shelter to catch the shuttle buses.  

Silver Seas Silver Nova came in just after us.  Lucky them, docked up at the little in town dock.  Beautiful yacht style ship.  728 pax, less than a year old.  Will try to get picture when we leave in an hour.  12th and newest Silver Seas luxury ship.  And of course....owned....by ....RCI.  😉   $$$

20240123_055230.jpg

Though Container Beats those steep Ship Stairs used at some Ports. Used then last Fall and dont know how some passengers get up those... But this is Funny!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Silver Seas Silver Nova came in just after us.  Lucky them, docked up at the little in town dock.  Beautiful yacht style ship.  728 pax, less than a year old. 

She will ultimately end up this leg of her journey in Ft. Lauderdale in February, then go through the canal on her way to Alaska for the summer.  BTW, RCL will be taking delivery of another Silver Sea ship (the Silver Ray) this year from MW in Germany.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since we have been to and toured Vina Del Mar and Valpariso, we had not planned to get off the ship today!  Then we learned that there was a grocery store (Jumbo) approximately 1/2 mile away, so our plans changed!  

After breakfast, we got in line and took the shuttle bus to the terminal at around 9:15am.  The grocery store was an easy walk, one straight street to get there!  We picked up some more chips, chocolate, and cookies, for ourselves and our Cabin Steward, and of course, two bottles of wonderful. Chilean Carminere.

It took some extra time to get through the terminal, onto a shuttle, and back to the ship, as the terminal staff were a bit unorganized, but we were onboard again around 11am.

A photo of the view from our balcony, and a couple from photos from outside!

IMG_2296.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

IMG_2299.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I saw a video somewhere that was showing some onboard tiktokers complaining about the silliest things: someone thought their inside was like a prison cell😆

Someone should inform that person that prison cell doors cannot be opened from the inside.🙄

• Haha 11

44 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Everything has been great!  The crew, service, entertainment, and food are fantastic!  We are really enjoying all the relaxing sea days, and are looking forward to our upcoming Ports.

We did not have an excursion booked in our next Port, (Coquimbo/La Serena), but after attending a Presentation on the area yesterday, we went down to Shore Excursions this morning and booked one!  It looks like there will be plenty to see and lots of interesting history!

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Someone should inform that person that prison cell doors cannot be opened from the inside.🙄

And one known obnoxious TikToker that had his segment comped and is the biggest drama starter will be exiting today. 👏👏

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

And one known obnoxious TikToker that had his segment comped and is the biggest drama starter will be exiting today. 👏👏

There is a simple mathematical equation explains it all:

Arrogance + ignorance + obnoxiousness + entitlement = influencer🙄

• Like 6
  • Haha 11