Carnival website pricing?

Gumbo4Life

Looking for a cruise in the Feb-Mar '24 timeframe and saw several out of Mobile, Galveston, etc. and the filter w/dates shows available pricing but when selecting the cruise to purchase entire categories are not available and the available pricing is over 2X what was on the summary page.  Is this normal?  I don't recall ever seeing this in the past.  Thanks

As sparks said, February/March '24 cruises booked now are considered last minute cruises. It's past final payment date for a lot of the voyages then so you're going to pay a premium and a lot of the cabins were likely sold out months ago. 

Back in the late spring and early summer we were looking at a November cruise out of New Orleans the week after Thanksgiving, which we thought would be less busy.  There were several categories sold out more than six months in advance.  We did book one, but ended up cancelling and doing another trip instead because the cost was going to be much higher than we normally pay.  The price and popularity for cruising has definitely risen of late, so you can probably expect to see this more of these kind of search results.

8 hours ago, Gumbo4Life said:

...and the available pricing is over 2X what was on the summary page.....

Are you taking into account the fact that prices shown are per person, and once you start the booking process what you see is total cruise cost for the entire cabin which includes taxes and port fees?

Edited by groundloop

Thanks for the replies.  The pictures below better explain what I am talking about.  On the summary page you see available "prices from..." and that the suite category is sold out.  On the next page you see the actual prices available and that all categories except for 1 is sold out.  I understand the short notice and that the higher prices are probably accurate however the summary page does not reflect that. 

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

12 minutes ago, Gumbo4Life said:

Thanks for the replies.  The pictures below better explain what I am talking about.  On the summary page you see available "prices from..." and that the suite category is sold out.  On the next page you see the actual prices available and that all categories except for 1 is sold out.  I understand the short notice and that the higher prices are probably accurate however the summary page does not reflect that. 

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

The prices on the first picture are per person.  The  second picture is total for 2 guests with taxes and port fees.  Looks correct.  The only difference is some categories are sold out.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 1

$789x2 plus taxes and port charges is probably $1902, but your screenshots don't show the actual breakdown in pricing which is shown on the final page of the booking engine. That will tell us exactly how they're getting the $1902 figure.

Edited by mz-s

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I do use a PVP but by the time I call her I basically already have everything picked out, including which cabin we'd like.

There is nothing wrong with being prepared. Especially for an experienced cruiser.  That said, the logic escapes me why something that costs nothing and does nothing but adds value is ignored.  

• Like 3

@Gumbo4Life, those screens look 100% correct and normal.

That $789 is 'base rate; per person'. When you get to the 'Select Room' screen it will reflect the total cost which is the sum of 1) Pax #1, 2) Pax #2, 3) Port fees/taxes.... in other words the total cruising fare for the cabin.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:15 AM, Gumbo4Life said:

Looking for a cruise in the Feb-Mar '24 timeframe and saw several out of Mobile, Galveston, etc. and the filter w/dates shows available pricing but when selecting the cruise to purchase entire categories are not available and the available pricing is over 2X what was on the summary page.  Is this normal?  I don't recall ever seeing this in the past.  Thanks

I agree cruise prices are a shocker. I'm solo and one thing I super love about carnival mock booking is I can change to 1 adult and see the pricing solo .. right off the bat. Dont have to click thru add a code and all that rcl stuff.

Maybe change it to 1 just to see the total cruisefare, makes it easier. 

14 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Another example of why people should use a TA or PVP.

I usually use a TA but I'm booked direct on my 14 day dream journey cruise jan 13. My TA was crusing and couldnt call into carnival right away. They said give him the pin which never worked. First time actually im booked direct online myself. It was the last of a particular cabin I wanted. 

Other than he missed the commission it's ok to book direct if you know what you want. I wasnt taking chances. He was at sea and having trouble calling in to book so I took it off hold and did it myself. 

Next up carnival dream ... I've been waiting so long for this one. I booked during their birthday half off and only one was allowed pp. I wanted jubilee too but once I clicked on the hold for this one couldnt get to see the other choices. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I usually use a TA but I'm booked direct on my 14 day dream journey cruise jan 13. My TA was crusing and couldnt call into carnival right away. They said give him the pin which never worked. First time actually im booked direct online myself. It was the last of a particular cabin I wanted. 

Other than he missed the commission it's ok to book direct if you know what you want. I wasnt taking chances. He was at sea and having trouble calling in to book so I took it off hold and did it myself. 

Next up carnival dream ... I've been waiting so long for this one. I booked during their birthday half off and only one was allowed pp. I wanted jubilee too but once I clicked on the hold for this one couldnt get to see the other choices. 

You are an extremely knowledgable cruiser, apples and watermelons

17 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Another example of why people should use a TA or PVP.

Totally different reasons, but it is possible to get some perks or discounts when using a TA.  I use a big box agent and get $ back after the cruise based on the fare paid.  On occasion the TA has a lower price than what is showing on Carnival's website.  Not often, but now and again.

56 minutes ago, nycruise1 said:

Totally different reasons, but it is possible to get some perks or discounts when using a TA.  I use a big box agent and get $ back after the cruise based on the fare paid.  On occasion the TA has a lower price than what is showing on Carnival's website.  Not often, but now and again.

I was not referring to pricing but much more so common knowledge.