Wednesday December 6th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

@rafinmd Roy, this may help.

The good news is that nearly all carriers still let you send a text message directly to an email address even when you have no cellular data or Wi-Fi connections available.

Basically, you just type the email address in the To: field as if it were a phone number. This goes through the phone carrier's MMS, not Internet.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-texts-to-email/

(scroll down for more on forwarding)

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

@rafinmd Roy, this may help.

The good news is that nearly all carriers still let you send a text message directly to an email address even when you have no cellular data or Wi-Fi connections available.

Basically, you just type the email address in the To: field as if it were a phone number. This goes through the phone carrier's MMS, not Internet.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-texts-to-email/

Thanks.  Good try but I couldn't get the "@".

Roy

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks.  Good try but I couldn't get the "@".

Roy

Is this a phone with a 9-button telephone keypad? You may be able to get special characters by pressing the * key (possibly more than once).

If that won't work, forward the text message to the phone with a full virtual keyboard of someone who knows your email address so that they can forward it to that.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon after a busy day.  The last load was washed this morning, and now the washer will have a few day's rest.  The Christmas cards are finished and ready to mail tomorrow.  I was hoping to get outside and wash the car, and I may try to when I finish here.  I can always

do the computer work in the morning while it's still chilly outside.

Pennie, I'm happy you got a good resolution after the bad lobster.

Carolyn, I'm glad the packing is getting done, and most of what you plan to take is ready to ship.

Graham, thank you for your kind words.  I hope you and Pauline can get to New Zealand and Australia.  They are very interesting countries.

Sharon, the weather in May is generally pretty good.  It is warming up by the first weekend in May, but it is still in the rainy part of the year.  I would suggest warm weather clothes, but some layers and a light jacket for cooler mornings and evenings.  Just keep in mind that Texas weather is very unpredictable.  AA is the only airline that serves Waco, with I think two flights in and out a day from DFW, so you won't miss Dallas completely.  At least, you will miss the drive.  I think you will enjoy Waco.

Joy, what a horrible thing to have happen to anyone on a cruise.  I hope the patient will be all right and get the medical attention they need.

Debbie, I'm betting that River will be a good "nurse" to you after your surgery.  Congratulations on fixing the under cabinet lights.  I don't envy you cleaning out the drain every month.

Annie, I hope your DH feels better soon.  

Roy, I'm betting the schedulers don't know how to override the automatic notification system, and aren't thinking about creating an email.  I hope all you appointments go well, and you can get some rest.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

Australia 🦘 is definitely on our bucket list although not sure about New Zealand.

Pauline's cousin who she is in contact with every day emigrated to Adelaide Australia over 16 years ago and really wants us to stay with them.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

OMG, that’s horrible Jacqui and so neglectful. Ivan is so fortunate to have found you!

I was shocked when I finally got the vet certificate.  I had been demanding it for Ivan’s vaccination to know what he needed and finally got it the night before the vet was due to arrive.  He needed every single one and since he was so long without, he will need them again like a puppy since he had lost his immunity.

I think if he had regular vet visits that a) his lumps could have been addressed easily before they grew and b) he would have been without pain a lot sooner.

He was already here and had bonded.  It was for the best even though it cost me $$$.  he’s not the same dog that came here.  He’s still a cuddle bunny but he’s pain free and runs like a young dog.  he’s a happy boy.  Jose told me to save him (I still swear I heard his voice) and it was the right thing to do if only for Ivan’s sake.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

@kazuI love the fact that you have made Ivan a new puppy (so to speak) before we left for Rome, you were having problems getting him in and out of the house, and when I got back I was reading that he was jumping the fence to the backyard.  At first I thought, Oh My, you have a new dog...well you do, and it sounds wonderful!

@Seasick Sailor I hope that you make it to the island in time for your ship's patient.  Needing blood sounds like an accident, and that is always scary.  

When I got sick on the ship, the doc told me if I was not better in three days, then they would put me off in Portugal.  I have no idea at that point, how we would have ever gotten home.  But, we did visit two islands of Portugal, and both times, people were released to the local hospital.  The same in Grand Turk, and as we were rounding Key West to get back to Tampa, the Coast Guard came out early that morning and took a heart attack victim off the ship. (we did not stop at key west).

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

We spent a week in Pahia.  Waitangi is very close, and passengers are tendered in near it.  Very interesting to visit the Treaty House there.  Russell is a short ferry ride from Pahia.  Both Russell and Pahia had craft shows when the ships called there. Lovely crafts, many wooden items made of kauri wood.  We were supposed to visit again on a cruise, but due to azipod issues, we missed Pahia and Auckland.

We recently had a sick  4 year old DGS with us for over a week, when he couldn't go to school.  Terrible cold that played havoc with his asthma.  And of course, he shared the cold.  We have both been miserable for over a week, but antibiotics are finally kicking in.  DD made us a big pot of Chicken Tortilla Soup, and we ate it for several meals.  She makes it in the Instant Pot, with the chicken still frozen. Quick, easy and delicious.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

My mother in law (Momma Norma)  raised her great grandaughter (Hailey) when her granddaughter went off to the slammer.  I will not say that Hailey is a kind, nice or a caring young lady.  She is smart (but lives on the stupid side..plans no future) very pretty, and conniving.  (How to steal from Momma's hand bag).  Now is this her fault?  Probably not, Momma never wanted her to do without.  So she has everything, and values nothing.

@dfishI have always thought that you and Sue offer this child the most calm and trusted household. Will she be with you and be able to attend school in your location?  Stay for months and find a stable environment?  I am hoping so.  Of course it will change your lives, but to be able to change hers would be the greatest gift you can give her.

@kazuDH says he feels like words I cannot say here.  I am taking off working tonight to keep him company, fix a real dinner, and make sure he gets some rest.  He never feels well after the infusions, but add on what he went through yesterday, and it's pretty bad.

Sometimes people overcompensate when a child has had a raw deal.  My DBIL's brother had a son that was raised by his grandparents.  Mom and Dad had split up when Mom killed the baby girl and went to prison.  Grandparents really overcompensated there and the kid turned out to be a bum.

River will live with her other grandparents.  They have twin daughters that are six months younger than River, so built in playmates.  The girls all get along well and are in a lot of the same activities and already go to the same school.  It is a stable environment with minimal disruption.  We can have River come visit often.  

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I'm betting that River will be a good "nurse" to you after your surgery.  Congratulations on fixing the under cabinet lights.  I don't envy you cleaning out the drain every month.

I'm sure River will be a good nurse.  She is really a very caring little girl.  I'm thrilled that the under cabinet lights are now working.  

@kazu I think it is wonderful that you and Ivan have found each other.  He's enriched your life as much as you have his.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, the weather in May is generally pretty good.  It is warming up by the first weekend in May, but it is still in the rainy part of the year.  I would suggest warm weather clothes, but some layers and a light jacket for cooler mornings and evenings.  Just keep in mind that Texas weather is very unpredictable.  AA is the only airline that serves Waco, with I think two flights in and out a day from DFW, so you won't miss Dallas completely.  At least, you will miss the drive.  I think you will enjoy Waco.

Thank you Lenda!  I just now need to decide if I’m going to stay there some extra days. I haven’t bought my flight yet but am really glad I get to use a credit I have from my fiasco of a flight to FLL this past April when FLL was flooded. I figured the weather would somewhat like you said so will pack accordingly. Thank you so much for your reply. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I was shocked when I finally got the vet certificate.  I had been demanding it for Ivan’s vaccination to know what he needed and finally got it the night before the vet was due to arrive.  He needed every single one and since he was so long without, he will need them again like a puppy since he had lost his immunity.

I think if he had regular vet visits that a) his lumps could have been addressed easily before they grew and b) he would have been without pain a lot sooner.

He was already here and had bonded.  It was for the best even though it cost me $$$.  he’s not the same dog that came here.  He’s still a cuddle bunny but he’s pain free and runs like a young dog.  he’s a happy boy.  Jose told me to save him (I still swear I heard his voice) and it was the right thing to do if only for Ivan’s sake.

Oh gosh Jacqui, that’s all so sad. I just hate hearing stories like this but so thankful you were in the right place at the right time for Ivan with Jose whispering in your ear. I truly believe he told you that. My late stepfather came to me in a dream after he died telling me everything was going to be all right and to watch out for my DM and take care of her. Brings tears to my eyes. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

When I got sick on the ship, the doc told me if I was not better in three days, then they would put me off in Portugal.  I have no idea at that point, how we would have ever gotten home.  But, we did visit two islands of Portugal, and both times, people were released to the local hospital.  The same in Grand Turk, and as we were rounding Key West to get back to Tampa, the Coast Guard came out early that morning and took a heart attack victim off the ship.

When I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2020, we diverted toward Grand Turk, which had been our first port of call, for a medical evacuation. We didn't dock there again--it was to rendezvous with a USCG helicopter based in the Bahamas that would take the patient to shore.

Grand Turk has limited medical resources. The entire medical system of the Turks and Caicos is run by a Canadian company, with mostly Canadian and British doctors, but Grand Turk has only a 10-bed hospital. The "big" hospital at  Providenciales is 20 beds. The purpose of taking the patient there was to get a fixed-wing flight to Miami.

HALmedicalevacuationnearGrandTurk.thumb.jpg.918797c6a82c3505809ace8f1897afef.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Re pet vaccinations: I'm concerned that Mona Lisa and DaVinci aren't up on their vaccinations; I don't even know when they last received any. They are so unsocialized that I'm not sure that their former humans could even catch them, and I certainly can't, so far. The risk is slightly mitigated by the fact that they never go out.

We're making some progress. Earlier this week, Mona Lisa hopped onto the bed beside me and cuddled for a considerable time, and tonight she climbed into my lap while I was watching television. DaVinci is still wary, but he's coming closer to me.

• Like 15

@kochleffelWith our strays, we use Temptations.  However since Tazi(one of the indoor furbabies) had the nervous breakdown two weeks ago, (and while we were gone) they are no longer working.  She could care less, she is just going to hide under the futon in the spare room. I guess I will have to sleep on the futon for a night, and maybe she will come out and snuggle again.  We are taking away all of her hiding places.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.  Tonight DH wanted to cook a steak, which we split.  It was very good since he is a great steak griller.  We had baked potatoes and salads to go with the steak.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

Australia 🦘 is definitely on our bucket list although not sure about New Zealand.

Pauline's cousin who she is in contact with every day emigrated to Adelaide Australia over 16 years ago and really wants us to stay with them.

Graham, if you make it to Australia, you should allow time to go to New Zealand.  It is a beautiful country.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, while you cannot undo Ivan’s past and the neglect he endured, you can be proud of the change you made in his life and health.  Both of you are good for each other.

28 minutes ago, Tbay said:

We spent a week in Pahia.  Waitangi is very close, and passengers are tendered in near it.  Very interesting to visit the Treaty House there.  Russell is a short ferry ride from Pahia.  Both Russell and Pahia had craft shows when the ships called there. Lovely crafts, many wooden items made of kauri wood.  We were supposed to visit again on a cruise, but due to azipod issues, we missed Pahia and Auckland.

We recently had a sick  4 year old DGS with us for over a week, when he couldn't go to school.  Terrible cold that played havoc with his asthma.  And of course, he shared the cold.  We have both been miserable for over a week, but antibiotics are finally kicking in.  DD made us a big pot of Chicken Tortilla Soup, and we ate it for several meals.  She makes it in the Instant Pot, with the chicken still frozen. Quick, easy and delicious.

Glad you are both beginning to feel better.

Just now, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you Lenda!  I just now need to decide if I’m going to stay there some extra days. I haven’t bought my flight yet but am really glad I get to use a credit I have from my fiasco of a flight to FLL this past April when FLL was flooded. I figured the weather would somewhat like you said so will pack accordingly. Thank you so much for your reply. 

Glad I could help.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

We're making some progress. Earlier this week, Mona Lisa hopped onto the bed beside me and cuddled for a considerable time, and tonight she climbed into my lap while I was watching television. DaVinci is still wary, but he's coming closer to me.

That's good progress!  And the more Da Vinci sees Mona Lisa cuddling up to you, the more likely he will too.  I'm very glad to hear this 🙂  

• Like 13