Drinks price increase on Rotterdam ...maybe fleetwide?

raesive

HIA/SB holders, be aware! Embarked yesterday and discovered they have updated the prices on all the drink menus... (A woman who was on for the previous sailing now is paying $1 more for each grapefruit cosmo than last week) Most drinks that were previously $11, are now $11.50 or $12... And if it's not a special listed drink, you'll just be surprised as to the price. My lemon drop came back at $12 and was included in my package on my last sailing. The only positive is that you can pay the difference now instead of for the full drink, but now it feels like getting nickeled and dimed. Still don't appreciate the lack of transparency as I have yet to find a menu that shows the prices for each spirit. 

Rock Room Menu:PXL_20231217_024821805.thumb.jpg.a638a480c2660b15f646b31d68910731.jpg

I seem to recall a situation about 5 years ago or so when I had just booked a cruise with what was then known as “Explore4” which included the standard beverage package, OBC for shore ex, a specialty dinner, and if memory serves me the fourth item was gratuities rather than Wi-Fi. But I digress.

Anyway, around that particular point in time there was a price increase on the menu prices of drinks similar to the amounts reported now, which also bumped many just past the threshold of the standard beverage package. 

Shortly after, the price limit on the standard beverage package was adjusted to take into account the price increase. I am hoping that will be the case this time around.

Which also may have had something to do with the HIA and drink package price increase too. Hard to pull off a seamless transition. I feel for all affected, staff and current pax.

Edited by shipmeoff!
Rambling extra thoughts
  • Like 1

Not only individual drinks, in the past 3 years a bottle of vodka went from $40.00 to 70.00 now it is only listed at $82.00 including 3 small cans soda. Don’t need soda I have the cola pkg. anyone know if you can order it for your cabin by it self? 

19 minutes ago, highscar said:

Not only individual drinks, in the past 3 years a bottle of vodka went from $40.00 to 70.00 now it is only listed at $82.00 including 3 small cans soda. Don’t need soda I have the cola pkg. anyone know if you can order it for your cabin by it self? 

I know you can order it on board by itself.  Ordering pre-cruise is restricted to what is on the website, I believe.

12 hours ago, raesive said:

HIA/SB holders, be aware! Embarked yesterday and discovered they have updated the prices on all the drink menus... (A woman who was on for the previous sailing now is paying $1 more for each grapefruit cosmo than last week) Most drinks that were previously $11, are now $11.50 or $12... And if it's not a special listed drink, you'll just be surprised as to the price. My lemon drop came back at $12 and was included in my package on my last sailing. The only positive is that you can pay the difference now instead of for the full drink, but now it feels like getting nickeled and dimed. Still don't appreciate the lack of transparency as I have yet to find a menu that shows the prices for each spirit. 

Rock Room Menu:PXL_20231217_024821805.thumb.jpg.a638a480c2660b15f646b31d68910731.jpg

WOW!  Never been a better time to be a teetotaler!🥰

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, highscar said:

Thank you. Too bad won’t be in cabin at embarkation 

Just a thought - try calling ship services to see if you can order it through them?

they might be able to accommodate?  Open Monday - Friday.

Lots of bars around me don't even have a menu with prices posted anywhere for beverages. Prices change all the time. Sometimes prices are at the whim of the bartender or business that day. I have also found several bars in Maine charge more in the summer when the tourists are around and less in the winter when just locals come in. It would be interesting if cruise lines adjusted drink prices based on the demand from cruise to cruise.

Edited by ChinaShrek

Last year HAL stopped printing bar menus with prices, only specialty drink prices for each bar.  When I asked bartenders in October while aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, I was told that the bartenders know the prices of their drinks and customers just need to ask the prices. 

To save printing costs, putting the drink prices on the room TV would be a good thing or perhaps on the Navigator app.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's what I think is an interesting, collateral effect of raising the drinks prices. For purposes of accruing credits toward our Mariner Star Status, we are credited with one "bonus credit" for every $300 spent on board (up to a max of $300 for each cruise day sailed). I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the ticketed price of the drinks we obtained under our beverage package counted toward that $300 bogey. Therefore, the more they raise the prices of our drinks under the packages, the faster we accrue the bonus credits, and the sooner we land on the Free Laundry square.

Edited by Petronillus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Petronillus said:

Here's what I think is an interesting, collateral effect of raising the drinks prices. For purposes of accruing credits toward our Mariner Star Status, we are credited with one "bonus credit" for every $300 spent on board (up to a max of $300 for each cruise day sailed). I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the ticketed price of the drinks we obtained under our beverage package counted toward that $300 bogey. Therefore, the more they raise the prices of our drinks under the packages, the faster we accrue the bonus credits.

Of course it does. Just like any other spending charged to your on board account. And HAL rounds up very generously.