Trip Report - Rotterdam - Ship was Perfect but our Worst Cruise Ever

friendswithdave

Hello All,

I appreciate all the reports and information submitted by everyone so I thought I would add my own. Wife and I travelled with a couple of long time friends.

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale the day before - Dec 14. The weather was the story. Occasional rain and wind steady at 30 gusting to 45. ALL restaurants and stores on the beachfront in Hollywood were closed. Foot traffic was near zero as we walked around checking out the area. We had a nice dinner at a bayside restaurant and settled in early.

We had Club Orange and got an 11:20 boarding time. We reserved a Lyft XL the day before for 10:10. PRO TIP - Lyft XL is great for four people and lots of bags. It was also cheaper than Uber XL. We figured a 40 minute trip from Hollywood including traffic and getting through security. We were all early, leaving at 10:05 and arriving at the ship at 10:30. Traffic was light since there are few tourists around in the awful weather. Check-in was super-fast, we were seated waiting to go on by around 10:40. Boarding started promptly at 11:00 and we got on board around 11:10. 

We had a leisurely lunch in the Lido and found a couch by the pool where we parked ourselves for much of the afternoon. PRO TIP - bring your Tervis cup. When I took it to the bar I hoped they would fill it up with my favorite Miami Vice. About half the time they did. This was probably 50% larger than the standard drink size. We also checked out our rooms. We got 4036 and 4034 near the front of the ship. We chose these rooms because of the giant balconies. I stepped it off and estimated the balcony to be 14' deep. This seemed to be about twice as deep as most of the rest of the balconies on the ship including the ones directly over our heads. PRO TIP - book the cheapest balcony possible then purchase Club Orange immediately to upgrade to the balcony of your choice. However, CO does sell out. We got the last CO on the ship and our friends went on a wait list. They eventually got it two months later.

PRO TIP - we really enjoyed the thermal suite. I did cycles through the heated lounger, giant hot tub, steam room, sauna, then back to the loungers. Get there around 4:00 on embarkation day and it's pretty empty. By 5:00 it was full. Mornings are also less busy than afternoons.

We had an early dinner in Club Orange. Wonderful service and food all week. That said, nothing on the main menu looked good to me so I got the new Morimoto Lobster dish and it was very good. We went to the EXC talk on the history of Holland America. I found that to be very informative and enjoyable.

We retired on the early side because wife is sensitive to rough seas and the ship was really rockin'. She wasn't feeling great. We did hear one set in BB Kings and found the band to be tight but the vocalists not quite up to the standard from past trips.

We read from another poster that rooms in this area are prone to noise from the theater and BB Kings. I happy to share we heard no noise from bands at all. However, we had very rough seas the first night. We did hear what sounded like distant explosions now and then. I'm pretty sure this was the front of the ship smacking against a large wave. It was unnerving and scary. 

TOMORROW - day at sea.

• Like 9

Overnight on our first night I also learned that this ship does not have the floor lighting that comes on when you get up out of bed at night. Why this wasn't included on their newest ship is a mystery to me. PRO TIP - bring a night light for the bathroom. I'm pretty sure I hit the target every time but a night light would have helped.

We had breakfast in Club O, did a morning cycle in the thermal spa, then enjoyed lunch in the Pinnacle Grill. PRO TIP - book lunch in the Pinnacle Grill for noon on sea days AND arrive around 11:50. This will get you the best seat. PRO TIP - the crab cakes are great as is the filet. For dessert, ask for the off-menu key lime pie. The waiter will say "I'll ask the chef" and they always bring it. It is truly outstanding.

The ship seemed full but we rarely had issues with overcrowding. We make a point to avoid crowded areas wherever we can. We avoid the Lido during busy times, avoid the pool deck in early to mid-afternoons, and use the thermal spa in the mornings.

During the afternoon we dallied around the ship but wife didn't feel great because the ship was still rockin. Weather was overcast with a few showers. We hoped the weather would settle as we headed east but it eased only marginally. That evening we enjoyed dress up dinner in CO and I think saw the comedian that evening. He was pretty good, we caught his late adults only show. He switched evenings with the dance troupe because the seas were too rough for them. 

Next Day - Grand Turk.

• Like 9

Just got off this ship, and tend to agree the weather made it a not great cruise. All outside decks, except the sea view pool, were closed for most of the cruise. We only were able to do our post dinner promanade walk twice. One day of Caribbean sun, luckily our beach day in St Thomas. We cruise this week many years (winter solstice week, for the sun), and this was the only time we have had a solid week of bad weather. Even half moon cay day was not a good beach day. Edit to add: my H pointed out the top decks were only open one day. I mean, I get it, 35 knot winds combined with the ship speed made for 50 knots on deck (per my elevator ride with the captain). But yeah. It was disappointing.

Recognizing this is no one’s fault, it also made for a very disappointing cruise. 

Edited by rubytue
  • Like 7

Bad title folks.

We've been onboard since the day after Thanksgiving. Will spend 51 days, disembarking on Jan 14th.

This is our 3rd holiday (30+ days each cruise) onboard Rotterdam. The crew, food, decorations have been top notch.

It is sad the OP had bad weather but it's no fault of the ship.

• Like 12

We, too, were on this sailing Dec 15-22, and as said by OP pitching and rolling were present Friday, Saturday, and part of Sunday. While this is a discomfort for some we had no issues. The food under the direction of Ali Noorul was exceptional compared to past cruises. We noted seeing him everywhere food was being served. From the Lido to the Pinnacle to the Island BBQ to Canaletto, he was everywhere tasting and testing the temperatures of the foods. Yes, the weather was spotty, and light-passing showers were present throughout the week but never downpours of rain. Was this weather-wise the best cruise we've been on? No, it was not. HAL's service aboard was also exceptional and IMO the best service at sea.    

20231218_174722.jpg

• Like 12

Day 3 - Grand Turk. Wife still wasn't feeling well from the rockin ship so she stayed on board while I made a quick trip to shore early in the morning. Looked like the rain would hold off - but it didn't. I got halfway down the pier when the rain got heavy and I got good and wet. I waited in the shops for the rain to end, walked around the pool and beach area, and headed back to the ship. We didn't plan to spend much time in this port since we'd seen it before. 

We had another morning visit to the thermal spa, wife had a massage, and enjoyed the pool relatively crowd free. Friend G and I enjoyed some football by the pool like we did yesterday. We looked at the menu for dinner and it was underwhelming. We looked at the Lido menu and it looked great. For the first time in memory, we decided to skip the dining room / Club Orange for Lido dinner. It was a great choice. I had seafood paella which was full of great seafood and chicken tikka masala which had a nice spice level. The only issue with dinner was the food was so good I ate too much and was uncomfortably full. PRO TIP - if you always eat in the dining room, take a look at the dining room and lido menus. You might find the Lido to be a nice change of pace. 

The seas were still high and wife didn't feel well so we had a quiet evening watching football on the pool deck.

Next - St Thomas

• Like 8

PRO TIP:  Ginger Root capsules.

I've suffered from motion sickness my entire life.  While I've never actually barfed while cruising, my first dozen or so sailings were not as enjoyable as they could've been because I either felt nauseated the entire time, or I was in a daze from the old-type Dramamine.

I read about ginger root here after discovering Cruise Critic.  I start 2 days prior to sailing and take one a.m. and one p.m. (with lots of water).  It's pretty much cured me.  Only if it's very rough will I take 1/2 meclizine before bed.

I sailed Rotterdam for 26 nights starting in early April on the 150th anniversary TA with 10 nights added on at the end.  I loved it.  Also had Club Orange and loved the separate dining room.

Sorry you had bad weather.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Day 4 - San Juan (not St Thomas - that's Day 5)

We had a relaxing morning and enjoyed breakfast in Club Orange and the thermal spa. Lunch was in the Lido and we enjoyed the sail into port from the Deck 12 forward lounge. Sailing in to San Juan is always beautiful. 

We walked off the ship around 1:30 and headed to a public beach about 30 minute walk away. Wife enjoyed getting on dry land! The walk was enjoyable as we escaped the more touristy areas and saw some of the real San Juan. We walked through a nice park, some slightly sketchy areas, and then to a beautiful walkway with elevated views of the ocean. Weather looked uncertain when we left and the rain held off for our walk.

We arrived at the beach and enjoyed time at the public beach. From looking around it appeared we were the only cruise ship passengers there. Most appeared to be locals with a few tourists. It was all nice until the rain came. It started light and we hoped to stick it out by moving under a tree. However, it got heavier and looking west to where we we had to head back it looked worse. After 10 minutes we made the decision to try to catch a cab back. We headed to wear we thought we could catch a cab and took a pit stop for coffee. By now the rain ended but we decided to continue back after being unable to find a cab. However, we had a great walk back taking a different route and visiting the "street of statues" where there were many statues and memorials honoring many. We enjoyed this sojourn on our way back. 

PRO TIP - walk to Balnearo del Escambron. Both the walk and the beach are great.

The rest of the afternoon and evening were uneventful with an enjoyable dinner at Club Orange.

Day 5 - St Thomas

Overnight wasn't as rocky as previous nights so we slept better. However, wife discover she apparently stepped on her glasses that fell or were knocked off her side table and they were partially broken not fitting quite right. Ugh. We enjoyed breakfast again in Club Orange and met our friends to catch a mini-bus to Coki Beach. We visited this beach four years ago and had a great experience. 

First, it was nice to see the sun. We probably had 30 minutes of sun total over the last four days. Today was partly cloudy with probably 50% sun. The ride over was enjoyable and direct. We rented a few chairs and found a nice place in the shade. After enjoying a few sodas, wife headed to her chair and stubbed her little toe on the chair - badly. It swelled quickly and looked a little bent. We split a fish sandwich and fries for lunch but wife was feeling like the trip was piling on to her with the seasickness followed by the toe. 

We got back to the ship and had a second lunch in the Lido. Wife visited the ship doctor to get eval and treatment for her toe. She taped it to the second toe and the x-ray indicated a likely fracture but no dislocation. Our strolls around the ship ended since wife didn't feel like walking any more than necessary. We had dinner in Club Orange and rested in the room the rest of the evening. As I remember, the seas weren't too bad this evening. That evening we discovered that three of the four of us got burned despite spending the whole time in the shade. PRO TIP - even if you're in the shade, wear sunscreen, SPF clothes, etc. We are experienced beach people and still got burned.

I think now you can see where the title is going. The ship really is great. We have high standards for service and overall quality and these standards were met. Every meal was enjoyable with great food and service. Ship staff at all levels is high quality. All staff members are polite and cordial, helpful and friendly. I can't think of any issues here. Our issues on this cruise fall into the "stuff happens" category, with weather being the primary issue. Broken toe and glasses don't help either. More to follow....

Next - Day 6 at Sea

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, friendswithdave said:

Day 4 - San Juan (not St Thomas - that's Day 5)

We had a relaxing morning and enjoyed breakfast in Club Orange and the thermal spa. Lunch was in the Lido and we enjoyed the sail into port from the Deck 12 forward lounge. Sailing in to San Juan is always beautiful. 

We walked off the ship around 1:30 and headed to a public beach about 30 minute walk away. Wife enjoyed getting on dry land! The walk was enjoyable as we escaped the more touristy areas and saw some of the real San Juan. We walked through a nice park, some slightly sketchy areas, and then to a beautiful walkway with elevated views of the ocean. Weather looked uncertain when we left and the rain held off for our walk.

We arrived at the beach and enjoyed time at the public beach. From looking around it appeared we were the only cruise ship passengers there. Most appeared to be locals with a few tourists. It was all nice until the rain came. It started light and we hoped to stick it out by moving under a tree. However, it got heavier and looking west to where we we had to head back it looked worse. After 10 minutes we made the decision to try to catch a cab back. We headed to wear we thought we could catch a cab and took a pit stop for coffee. By now the rain ended but we decided to continue back after being unable to find a cab. However, we had a great walk back taking a different route and visiting the "street of statues" where there were many statues and memorials honoring many. We enjoyed this sojourn on our way back. 

PRO TIP - walk to Balnearo del Escambron. Both the walk and the beach are great.

The rest of the afternoon and evening were uneventful with an enjoyable dinner at Club Orange.

Day 5 - St Thomas

Overnight wasn't as rocky as previous nights so we slept better. However, wife discover she apparently stepped on her glasses that fell or were knocked off her side table and they were partially broken not fitting quite right. Ugh. We enjoyed breakfast again in Club Orange and met our friends to catch a mini-bus to Coki Beach. We visited this beach four years ago and had a great experience. 

First, it was nice to see the sun. We probably had 30 minutes of sun total over the last four days. Today was partly cloudy with probably 50% sun. The ride over was enjoyable and direct. We rented a few chairs and found a nice place in the shade. After enjoying a few sodas, wife headed to her chair and stubbed her little toe on the chair - badly. It swelled quickly and looked a little bent. We split a fish sandwich and fries for lunch but wife was feeling like the trip was piling on to her with the seasickness followed by the toe. 

We got back to the ship and had a second lunch in the Lido. Wife visited the ship doctor to get eval and treatment for her toe. She taped it to the second toe and the x-ray indicated a likely fracture but no dislocation. Our strolls around the ship ended since wife didn't feel like walking any more than necessary. We had dinner in Club Orange and rested in the room the rest of the evening. As I remember, the seas weren't too bad this evening. That evening we discovered that three of the four of us got burned despite spending the whole time in the shade. PRO TIP - even if you're in the shade, wear sunscreen, SPF clothes, etc. We are experienced beach people and still got burned.

I think now you can see where the title is going. The ship really is great. We have high standards for service and overall quality and these standards were met. Every meal was enjoyable with great food and service. Ship staff at all levels is high quality. All staff members are polite and cordial, helpful and friendly. I can't think of any issues here. Our issues on this cruise fall into the "stuff happens" category, with weather being the primary issue. Broken toe and glasses don't help either. More to follow....

Next - Day 6 at Sea

I have a friend who was in Thailand and had her eyeglasses ripped off her face by a monkey.  My friend is as blind as a bat without her glasses.  PRO TIP:  Make sure you always bring a spare pair of glasses with you!

L.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leerathje said:

I have a friend who was in Thailand and had her eyeglasses ripped off her face by a monkey.  My friend is as blind as a bat without her glasses.  PRO TIP:  Make sure you always bring a spare pair of glasses with you!

L.

Same here. First thing I pack is spare glasses- can’t imagine being so far from home & not being able to see properly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leerathje said:

L.

100% agree with you.  Also if possible a repair kit.  One time DH’s screw came out and he couldn’t find it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get motion sickness really easily, but the medication for it will put me to sleep. I can even get sick from YouTube videos where they move the camera too much or too fast! I wear SeaBands on cruises, I put them on before I even step on the ship and don't take them off again until on dry land, and they're amazing. They work really well for me. I carry ginger tablets as well, just in case, but never really need them.

• Like 2