Say it right!

Elvis1209

26 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Good for her.  I hate it when men refer to their spouse as "the wife".  It's degrading.

Interestingly I have heard both men and women use the 'the', especially when referencing a kid. I think the degrading part would be the intent, which all I have heard use it never have had intent.

When my wife refers to me as that !**!@** of a husband, that is just life as usual and I hope I am just kidding:)

1 hour ago, Elvis1209 said:

You are absolutely correct!

Elvis 

9 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I was once told that the actual proper name of each ship is Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Constellation and so on. That Celebrity is part of their official name.  Can anyone confirm?

If your are on a Celebrity ship or on CC no need to say Celebrity...

15 minutes ago, doghog said:

If your are on a Celebrity ship or on CC no need to say Celebrity...

And yet, if you go to the Celebrity website, they always refer to their ships by their full name.

Just now, mom says said:

And yet, if you go to the Celebrity website, they always refer to their ships by their full name.

Of course they along with other cruise lines addressing their ships. Doesn't mean I will or have to in a conversation.

13 minutes ago, doghog said:

Of course they along with other cruise lines addressing their ships. Doesn't mean I will or have to in a conversation.

For some reason, the rest of my post was chopped off. I also wrote that there isn't any reason to always use the full, formal name in most discussions. But I also think that getting ones shorts in a twist over the use of a nickname is an indication of having too much time on one's hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, megfla said:

You're correct...my bad!  Great line regardless!

Thank you for your correct usage of you're vs your.  My nails on a chalkboard grammar faux pas is when someone writes "Your going to enjoy a wonderful meal in the Connie dinning room.  You're DH/DW will love there escargot."  Ackkk, I can't believe that which I just wrote.  🤣🤣

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Here here!  I learned this some time ago and I appreciate you bringing this forward!  

Since this thread is all about being pedantic (and I for one am here for it), it's "Hear! Hear!", unless that is, you're calling a dog to come "Here! Here!" 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Hmmmm.....

My High School is THE Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica Estates NY (hence my cruise critic name) and I root for The Buckeyes of THE Ohio State University!

I tend to refer to Celebrity ships with a /the/ before the name in posts and in conversation, but I noticed my signature is sans the /the/!

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, megfla said:

You're correct...my bad!  Great line regardless!

I have no idea how I know his real name.  I think he passed not long after the filming of that movie.  That movie is full of great lines.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

When did people start using Y’all 🤔

or when a wait staff refers to everybody as “guys “ when there a mix table of customers 🙄

IMG_6702.thumb.jpeg.49dcadefd3e0a75376a001165dcde1dc.jpeg

North of the Mason Dixon line, I thought it was "yous guys"....

This from a Southerner y'all.  

1 hour ago, OceanCruise said:

I will add my pet peeve: it is room steward, not stewart 

So I literally seen my room stewart write in the dinning room of Murano's and beings that he was their I literally told the husband cuz it was so amazing.  (Maybe we should hold a contest to see who can make the most mistakes in a single sentence, lol.)

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

So I literally seen my room stewart write in the dinning room of Murano's and beings that he was their I literally told the husband cuz it was so amazing.  (Maybe we should hold a contest to see who can make the most mistakes in a single sentence, lol.)

Your on to some thing you no.