Say it right!

Elvis1209

36 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Here is a current important example beyond cruising where this all actually matters.  

Ukraine - a country in eastern Europe.

The Ukraine - a territory of the former Soviet Union.  Many Russians still use 'the' to imply ownership by Russia.

https://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine/

I got lectured about this from someone who married someone from Ukraine. I said that a lot of the worlds grain comes from the Ukraine. Just as I would say  a lot of corn is grown in the United States.  

I believe that the use of the before both is correct, but could be wrong. If it is correct, I could see how someone with ties to the Ukraine could take issue with it.

Never thought about it before but it is customary to refer to "the United States" but nobody would ever say "the France" or "the Italy".  Netherlands and United Kingdom are usually prefaced with "the" too.  Even many years ago, when in China (PRC) it was considered at bit offensive not to say Taiwan Province as opposed to just saying Taiwan.

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Never thought about it before but it is customary to refer to "the United States" but nobody would ever say "the France" or "the Italy".  Netherlands and United Kingdom are usually prefaced with "the" too.  Even many years ago, when in China (PRC) it was considered at bit offensive not to say Taiwan Province as opposed to just saying Taiwan.

You are saying the States, but United as a modifier. So it carries over to the US, the USA. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I got lectured about this from someone who married someone from Ukraine. I said that a lot of the worlds grain comes from the Ukraine. Just as I would say  a lot of corn is grown in the United States.  

I believe that the use of the before both is correct, but could be wrong. If it is correct, I could see how someone with ties to the Ukraine could take issue with it.

This is a more of an historical difference IMO.  Just giving an example of how context enters into the discussion of this thread.  Back to THE ships.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 8:35 AM, TeeRick said:

Here is a current important example beyond cruising where this all actually matters.  

Ukraine - a country in eastern Europe.

The Ukraine - a territory of the former Soviet Union.  Many Russians still use 'the' to imply ownership by Russia.

https://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine/

My farther was born in a little village in Ukraine; I was born in Saint Petersburg.  Am I from Ukraine, the Ukraine (never heard of such until this reading), or some other place?  Or I am simply from Buffalo?

Happy Birthday to me, and Go Bills (in 3 days)!!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kirtihk said:

My farther was born in a little village in Ukraine; I was born in Saint Petersburg.  Am I from Ukraine, the Ukraine (never heard of such until this reading), or some other place?  Or I am simply from Buffalo?

Have you been back to St. Petersburg?  We went a few years ago before the war when it was open to us on cruises.  We thought it was beautiful and loved the historical buildings and churches and of course The Hermitage.  Good luck with your Bills!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kirtihk said:

I was  fortunate to visit St. Petersburg in the ‘60's when it was known as Leningrad. I loved the city's architecture and the Hermitage which was my first visit to a major museum.

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday!  🎂

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Have you been back to St. Petersburg?  We went a few years ago before the war when it was open to us on cruises.  We thought it was beautiful and loved the historical buildings and churches and of course The Hermitage.  Good luck with your Bills!

We did not go back to Russia since we left USSR in February 1991 (from Jews prosecutions) thanks to Reagan helping to lift the Iron Shield.

Yes, it’s nice for foreigners to visit to see architecture and museums.  I was born in the heart of the Leningrad (behind  the Saint Isaac’s square).

Edited by kirtihk

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I was  fortunate to visit St. Petersburg in the ‘60's when it was known as Leningrad. I loved the city's architecture and the Hermitage which was my first visit to a major museum.

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday!  🎂

Thank you!  I was born in 1960 see my previous post); so, I might see you…

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 8:42 AM, TeeRick said:

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, Mr. Elvis1209.  But I think I will still refer to your famous namesake legend as The Elvis.

You should refer to him as "The King", not "The Elvis"!

Elvis

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2024 at 3:47 PM, TMLAalum said:

Hmmmm.....

My High School is THE Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica Estates NY (hence my cruise critic name) and I root for The Buckeyes of THE Ohio State University!

I tend to refer to Celebrity ships with a /the/ before the name in posts and in conversation, but I noticed my signature is sans the /the/!

Do you see what I started!

Elvis

On 1/10/2024 at 10:52 AM, Travelling2Some said:

Because one group is plural and the other is not.