Say it right!

Elvis1209

10 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

There's something that's been eating away at me for some time.  I've spoken to many Navy Veterans and they all agree on this subject.  When giving the name of a ship you should not precede it with "The".  It is not "The" Beyond, "The" Apex, or "The" Millenium.   It is simply Beyond, Apex, and Millenium.  Refer to a ship as you would refer to your spouse.  They are not "The" Elvis and "The" Priscilla.  They are simply Elvis and Priscilla!  And while we are at it.  You should never shorten  a ship's name.  It is Millenium, not "Millie".  You wouldn't call Titanic...well, you get the idea.  As you can see, I have way topo much time on my hands! 

Elvis

In the immortal words of Bill Murray in Stripes....Lighten up Francis....🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

By the way the english language sucks and should be banned lol. Even growing up with it nobody knows all of the stupid little rules.

Well, they would if my mama raised them  (They'd know which fork to use too, lol.)  One of her favorite corrections was, "Meat gets done but people are finished".  How's that for picky?  The one that bugs me personally is the phrase, "beings that" rather than saying "since".  Also not a fan of the new "excited for" rather than "excited about" or sentences that start with the word "so".  BTW, you forgot to capitalize English 😉 but at least you didn't use the word "amazing" or "literally"!

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, miched said:

My wife would cut me off forever if I ever said the wife. 😱😢

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Better than A Wife.  🙂

16 minutes ago, megfla said:

In the immortal words of Bill Murray in Stripes....Lighten up Francis....🤣

That was Sgt. Hulka....better known as Warren Oates.  

48 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I am so confused by this. I will use the Disney Magic to make the sentence more fun.

So am I suppose to say which of the 3?

1. I sailed on Magic last week

2. I sailed on the Magic last week

3. I sailed on the Disney Magic last week

1 sounds ridiculous and 2 and 3 work to me.

Well, there is a Carnival Magic.  🙂

49 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

By the way the english language sucks and should be banned lol. Even growing up with it nobody knows all of the stupid little rules.

Since most Americans aren't multilingual, it would sure be quiet around here!

50 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I am so confused by this. I will use the Disney Magic to make the sentence more fun.

So am I suppose to say which of the 3?

1. I sailed on Magic last week

2. I sailed on the Magic last week

3. I sailed on the Disney Magic last week

1 sounds ridiculous and 2 and 3 work to me.

For the record I like the nicknames, and they are used on cars too. For example Tacomas are generally referred to as tacos.

That would be the English language you refer to. 😜

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Well, they would if my mama raised them  (They'd know which fork to use too, lol.)  One of her favorite corrections was, "Meat gets done but people are finished".  How's that for picky?  The one that bugs me personally is the phrase, "beings that" rather than saying "since".  Also not a fan of the new "excited for" rather than "excited about" or sentences that start with the word "so".  BTW, you forgot to capitalize English 😉 but at least you didn't use the word "amazing" or "literally"!

I had a boss at work that knew all the rules and regularly work with tech writers. I stumbled through English in school, and that is the best I can say. My gotchas at work are setup vs set up and effect vs affect. It essentially became a running joke over the years that I would screw it up. 

The funniest is I had a friend who was better with written English than me, and because of the work we do we would borrow portions of test reports from similar work, and when I essentially turned in her work to our boss it would get a lot of corrections, because of my reputation, but the funny part is that she had already reviewed it when my friend turned it in lol.

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Well, there is a Carnival Magic.  🙂

Yeh, but we have sailed on the Disney ship, and will likely never set foot on a Carnival ship based on experiences that close friends had.

2 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I had a boss at work that knew all the rules and regularly work with tech writers. I stumbled through English in school, and that is the best I can say. My gotchas at work are setup vs set up and effect vs affect. It essentially became a running joke over the years that I would screw it up. 

The funniest is I had a friend who was better with written English than me, and because of the work we do we would borrow portions of test reports from similar work, and when I essentially turned in her work to our boss it would get a lot of corrections, because of my reputation, but the funny part is that she had already reviewed it when my friend turned it in lol.

I think that happens with teachers too.  If they come to believe you are an A student initially then you can "coast" on it quite a bit afterwards.

• Like 2

While we're on the topic can we add "very unique" (what the hell does that even mean?) and the constant incorrect usage of "begs the question" (a logical fallacy, not a question wanting to be asked)?  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

IMO, nicknames are frequently used because they are easy to spell.

Or that you really are attached to or really like something. Our first cruise back after Covid was on the Constellation, and we fell in love with the ship, 5-600 people on the ship helped, but after we bonded with the ship she was Connie to me.

Edited by cgolf1

My personal pet peeve is the common misuse of the word less to refer to things which are counted or numbered,  when fewer should be used.  "His weight is less, because he is carrying fewer pounds, or "The ship carries fewer passengers."  But again, I probably have too much time on my hands

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I was once told that the actual proper name of each ship is Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Constellation and so on. That Celebrity is part of their official name.  Can anyone confirm?

You are absolutely correct!

Elvis 

12 hours ago, miched said:

My wife would cut me off forever if I ever said the wife. 😱😢

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Good for her.  I hate it when men refer to their spouse as "the wife".  It's degrading.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Good for her.  I hate it when men refer to their spouse as "the wife".  It's degrading.

And my wife doesn't like or call me "the husband".