The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday, January 11th, 2024

kazu

Today is Cigarettes are Hazardous to Your Health Day, Girl Hug Boy Day, and Hot Toddy Day

Too much agreement kills a chat. - Eldridge Cleaver

Meal Suggestion for today - Arugula Pasta
Drink of the Day - Toronto Maple Leafs
Wine of the Day - Llopart 2011 Original 1887 Brut Nature Sparkling (Cava)
Destination of the Day - Nha Trang, Vietnam

Today in History:
1838 First public demonstration of telegraph messages sent using dots and dashes at Speedwell Ironworks in Morristown, New Jersey by Samuel Morse and Alfred Vail
1922 Insulin first used on humans to treat diabetes, when Frederick Banting injects fellow Canadian Leonard Thompson, aged 14
1964 First government report by US Surgeon General Luther Terry warning that smoking may be hazardous

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Key West, Florida eta 01-12

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 01-13

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Nassau, Bahamas, New Providence Island eta 01-12

Nieuw Statendam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 16:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica eta 01-13

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 01-12

Volendam

Hilo, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Zaandam

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 08:00 - 16:00 

Zuiderdam

Macapa, Brazil 06:00 - 11:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia eta 01-13

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kota Kinabalu, Borneo Malaysia Sabah eta 01-

• Like 20
  • Thanks 20

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Thanks for the maps Roy.

Another cold, snowy day here. 

A good collection of days.  Neither my hubby or I smoke and very few of our friends do.  I'm a girl who will hug her boy today.  I'll pass on the hot toddy and have a cup (or two) of English breakfast tea.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'm not sure about the drink but I know I'll like the wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Good days in history.  I tried learning Morse code when I got my amateur radio licence but did not succeed.  Insulin is an important treatment for diabetics.

Prayers for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good morning dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

I am feeling much better today and the job search continues. My toes are crossed for a couple of second interviews next week. 🙂

I hope everyone here has a great day! 

• Like 35

Good morning friends!  It's a clear, cold morning with a temp of 33F.  The remainder of the day will be sunny and 60 degrees.  I wish the big storm wasn't on the way tomorrow!

Today is DGS Ren's 17th birthday so I want to wish our boy a very happy birthday!  In addition I wish safe travels for all travelers today and through the weekend.  Two family members cancelled their flight to Florida to board the Rotterdam due to the approaching storm and will be driving for two days to get there.  Flights are too iffy anymore to trust getting to the ship.  And twin, DBIL and niece Amy will be flying to Houston for a possibly final visit with DBIL's terminally ill sister.  And for everyone on the roads please be careful!

Thank you Jacqui @kazu for posting our Fleet Report and Daily for Rich.  A lot of people smoked back in the 1960's when the warnings on smoking came out.  These days I know virtually no one personally who smokes!  I agree Melanie @puppycanducruise, as a girl I will hug my boy, too!  Never been interested in hot toddies.  A unique take with the quote today.  I'm not interested in the meal, drink or wine today.  Great days in history with the morse code, insulin for diabetes and the cigarette warning coming about on this date.  Thanks ladies for your reports on F&B's - Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.

Prayers for all in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military in danger from rocket fire at bases and on ships in the region.  Also for DB, friends Scott and Bob and their supportive wives, everyone here on the Daily in pain, in need of surgery or medical procedures, and those who have lost loved ones.  A toast to those cruising and celebrating those happy events!!  Thank you so much Vanessa @JazzyV for your hard work reading and noting our many trials and tribulations, as well as joyous happenings.  Hope you are feeling better soon!

Our port of Nha Trang, Vietnam has only been listed here once before, on Sept. 28, 2022.  We were there once before way back in 2010 on Diamond Princess.  Here's the link for you if you need it.

Hoping FedEx can make it to our street today after promising my package was on the truck yesterday for delivery.  If it gets to be 5 pm they just turn around and head back to Macon.  What a way to run a business!

Have a safe day everyone and get prepared for the storms coming!  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Daily-ites 

Hoping Jacqui feels better today from her fall. Thinking of Baby Murphy, Tana, Terri, Vanessa,  Roy, Sandi's family and friends and others I may have missed without Vanessa's morning post.

We are at sea on our way to Grand Turk tomorrow. 

Wishing everyone a blessed day.

Joy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

In April 2010 we stopped on our Diamond Princess Asia to Alaska cruise in the port of Nha Trang, Vietnam.  It definitely used to be and still is a resort town.  It has a really lovely beach.  Here is a photo as the ship arrived and anchored.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSwwcmZjX_pRHewi10YiMOldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000314

We took a tour which first took us to Bao Dai Villa, a palace on a hill built for the last Vietnamese king, Bao Dai.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrB9cjwRO7o0eV5Evq1UXb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000412

Ship at anchor as seen from the hill the palace was situated on.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKS7H4gtpFJYIpqsNYkWUiT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000431

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjbghVyN6gD4JU2McC7A8PUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1664366206

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIm_LI34QoFvaq_BXM0HcqGUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1664366001

We had to walk back down the hill to board our bus again.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLmJHE439zIkGrHFNTBrqQL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000547

View from the bus as we headed to an embroidery studio.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhDSaoSWstHXuEmVeZtFYVrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000548

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZVFCsv_zfiMzVEraFBD6IUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1664366009

Amazing the patience these young ladies have while they work on these intricate embroidered pieces.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-TIzt7XEhNY88rOqilHxV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000598

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNNeH9bGj3mmQ_zJvd4LW8ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1664366021

You could purchase a souvenir here but had better be able to carry it home with you.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSKl5Ui8zEP3D_-fVi2TSn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000645

Their gowns include lots of their embroidery work.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6BsoqQO22lHlxjbrfpKt1V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1664366028

This is the beach across the street from some huge hotels.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLd37RGhr0hFLxaYuY5PSQQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000710

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVItIiciZ06vX-niujt-5e6qUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000711

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIem8k5Tv-n6K8n5NyHhAOn4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000726

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVILBRzef0mlA7aofFKvePns?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000754

Heading back to our tender dock00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI41z9EHh6xK6A-H_7n_aseUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000861

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4NzV_CgJoZl2VJ1xAh537Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616000892

It was a nice day actually!  I can see why people would want to vacation there in Nha Trang.  Hope you enjoyed my travel photos.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Hot toddy reminds me of my grandmother, everyday is a good day to hug and thank goodness people realize smoking is hazardous to everyone. 

Work is really testing my patience and my calendars aren't syncing up, so that's making it worse. Grrr...

36° headed to sunny 70° but only 50° tomorrow and a cold weekend; at least the single digit overnights are gone from the forecast.

Not been to today's port.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240111_054629.thumb.jpg.c67e38ec5aa301979594553ecdc1ed38.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 28

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim’s visit with Neurologist today 

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Rafinmd getting radiation treatments

HAL Sailer’s DH with medical issues

Lazey1 with mitral valve stenosis and PAD

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

57redbird released by her neurosurgeon after surgery

Marshhawk’s DH responding to Keytruda

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam Jan 14 to Feb 4) 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer

Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer), Kochleffel(Anthem of the Seas to Jan 18) 11d Southern Caribbean, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24) B2B2B2B2B Caribbean, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, cruising sister (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11) 128d Grand World Voyage and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9) 156d World Voyage 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

Even I have never heard of some of the cocktails on the new list.

Toronto Maple Leafs cocktail:

1/2 oz of blue curacao liqueur
1/2 oz of Bailey's Irish Cream (or Irish Cream)

Layer in shot glass.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 7.06.55 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 17

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

The end to a long week is in sight. Working from home today which makes the pets very happy. I was pleasantly surprised this morning when my fasting blood sugar was 137. That is the lowest it has been in a while. All the work of being mindful of my diet and exercising is paying off. My doctor will be happy when I see her next month. I am looking forward to the spring when I can get outside and get my vegetable garden in. Lots of plans. Plus, I am ready for some warm weather. Then there is only 272 days until my cruise. 

Thinking of everyone on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.f69819272358b4857c28f010000dd324.png

• Like 31

good morning  all.  

Thanks to Roy, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann for their dedication and contributions.

No boy to hug here except Ivan (as if he doesn’t get enough 😉).  I’ll pass on pasta but yum on Cava.    Wonderful days in history especially Banting’s insulin find 👍 

I got the ice cleaned off my driveway last night but it was still raining and sadly, it looks like it either got washed off or was ineffective.  The driveway is a sheet of ice 😔  Called yesterday to postpone today’s appointment due to my driveway concerns.  Of course, they were closed with the storm and did not call back as promised in their voice mail.  I’ll try them this morning as soon as they open and see if I have to go today or if they re-scheduled it.  Hoping for the latter.  What a mess yesterday was.  

IMG_1420.thumb.jpeg.87ab730c6fa7eeb77b9befce1945101e.jpeg

If I had seen this earlier, I could have included it in my post yesterday.  Seems appropriate:

IMG_1423.thumb.jpeg.c52ab156756c1e282d5fcd4e0efedda3.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1941.jpeg.0caafa0a983bd0e1f345aaeaa36027ac.jpeg

Have a good day, all.

• Like 24
  • Haha 13

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today should be a nice day with temperatures in the 40’s.  Tomorrow we are expecting another big storm to arrive with lots of rain.  This morning Mona demanded attention starting at 1am and then Jasper joined in around 3:30, which he never does.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes.  I hope everyone has a nice day.

image.thumb.png.3be1569f878de45b9b2339283f84911f.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! It is a brisk morning of 41 today. But the sky is clear. More “weather” is coming tomorrow. Who knows what it will bring. On Tuesday EVERY state & province on the East Coast was under some type of severe weather warning. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with us. I am so happy that you are getting a bit more sleep. Let’s hope your permanent pain relief plan starts soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, my annual water purifying system maintenance, branch patrol (the wind finally died down) and chores should keep me busy. 

IMG_2362.jpeg.9c5d53c3f0637cb8aefe5fa162dd332a.jpeg

IMG_2368.jpeg.b5c94a29640b29d85f6e7c114352c4cf.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg.e25bc88a665e2b2ef9b65297bb2636ad.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those with debilitating pain or conditions. And those grieving the loss of a loved one. And the caregivers.  Thinking of you Tana, Terry & Melissa. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @dfish Debbie you will love your balcony in Hawaii. Enjoy!

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, wish Ren a Happy Birthday for me, too!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Llopart 2011 Original 1887 Brut Nature Sparkling (Cava)

I love this wine’s name. it sounds lovely. It has quite a history, a huge number of fans and awards, and though a bit pricey for me - it is actually reasonable for what it delivers. Numerous online distributors with online prices starting at $79.95.

Distributor’s notes

Llopart Original 1887 Brut Nature is a sparkling wine produced by LLopart in Subirats (Barcelona), specifically in Corpinnat  (the EU collective brand born in the Catalan Penedès region).

LLopart is a family-run winery with a long winemaking tradition. In 1385, they documented the transfer of some vines located in the current Heredad Can Llopart to Bernat Llopart. However, it was not until 1887 when they finished the first bottle of sparkling wine, in the country house that the family has in Subirats.

Heredad Can Llopart is the family farm. It is located on a hill with prominent slopes at 340 metres above sea level. The climate in this area has very mild winters, and sunny summers that are not too warm. The mountain range of Montserrat protects the vineyards from the cold northern winds during the winter, making temperatures milder.

LLopart makes all their sparkling wines using the traditional champenoise method,seeking the excellence of all their products from the maximum quality of the raw material, the grape.

Llopart Original 1887 Brut Nature is a sparkling wine made from Xarello, Maccabeu and Parellada, from old mountain vineyards with very low yields.

After the manual harvest, each variety is vinified individually. When the fermentation has ended, they perform a coupage of the three varieties. Then, they carry out the tirage or bottling with yeast and sugar, so that the wine can carry on to its second fermentation in the bottle. After a minimum of 120 months of ageing, they carry out the disgorgement, with no added liqueur d'expédition.

This sparkling wine was initially produced to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the first bottle of sparkling wine from Llopart.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 3

Sandy, we've gotten our UPS or FedEx deliveries as late as 9 pm..Wow on yours!  Happy Birthday Ren.  Jacqui, we need to wrap you in bubble wrap.  Hugs and prayers to everyone in our wonderful little place in the world.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Toronto Maple Leafs cocktail:

1/2 oz of blue curacao liqueur
1/2 oz of Bailey's Irish Cream (or Irish Cream)

Layer in shot glass.

@summer slopeThank you for the Daily cocktail recipe.  I believe this recipe is incorrect, where’s the maple? The drink in the photo is not layered but looks correct.  Let’s try this one… The "Toronto Maple Leafs" cocktail is a spirited tribute to the passion and excitement of ice hockey and the beloved Canadian team, the Toronto Maple Leafs. This cocktail embodies the essence of the game, blending the rich flavors of Canadian whisky with the sweetness of maple syrup, paying homage to the iconic maple leaf symbol. 

½ oz lemon juice

2 dashes angostura bitters  
½ oz maple syrup  

2 oz Canadian whiskey

In a cocktail shaker with ice cubes add Canadian whisky, maple syrup, fresh lemon juice, and aromatic bitters. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.

1. Strain the cocktail mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice. Express the oils from the orange twist over the drink by twisting it over the glass, then use it as a garnish(optional).

IMG_8878.jpeg.bc6ecda4970088ee31200dcd8383e331.jpeg
It is scientifically proven that hugs boost mood, reduce stress and increase happiness. Spread some joy and positivity with a hug today!

Edited by 0106
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Denise T said:

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

The end to a long week is in sight. Working from home today which makes the pets very happy. I was pleasantly surprised this morning when my fasting blood sugar was 137. That is the lowest it has been in a while. All the work of being mindful of my diet and exercising is paying off. My doctor will be happy when I see her next month. I am looking forward to the spring when I can get outside and get my vegetable garden in. Lots of plans. Plus, I am ready for some warm weather. Then there is only 272 days until my cruise. 

Thinking of everyone on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.f69819272358b4857c28f010000dd324.png

Congratulations, Denise! Though not always easy to do, being mindful of diet & exercise can have huge rewards!

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone!

It is currently snowing outside.  We're only supposed to get about an inch this morning.   It's a warm up for tomorrow's storm.  It's looking like we could get up to 10 inches tomorrow.  We are definitely not driving north to pick up River.  We'll have to reschedule for another time.  We are going to do our mall walk this morning and then stop by the grocery store for fresh veggies.  

Happy Birthday to Ren, DGS of @StLouisCruisers Sandi.  

Hot Toddies reminds me of a story a cousin told me years ago.  She was in college and attending a nearby one so she could live at home.  She came home one day and told her grandmother that she wasn't feeling well.  Aunt Aggie offered to make her a hot toddy to ward off the illness.  Then Aunt Aggie decided that she should have one as well for prevention.  Well, the first one was so good that they decided to have another.  Two certainly would be better than one, right?  I think the second led to the third and by the time Margie, Aggie's daughter, got home from work the two of them were pretty well looped.  What I found interesting about this is that Aggie was always the "good sister" out of the six of them - my grandmother and her sisters.  

Today's meal is interesting.  I think they are just using arugula in place of basil as an alternative pesto sauce for the pasta.  At least that is what it looks like in this first recipe.  https://theclevermeal.com/arugula-pasta/

arugulapasta1.thumb.jpg.9a7b4795e3536f6355cffe0764c48013.jpg

This next one just kind of shreds the arugula to put in with the pasta.  https://www.sipandfeast.com/lemon-arugula-pasta/

arugulapasta2.thumb.jpg.190d42aa0619e1afa6e06edc9244f960.jpg

It seems to be a pretty simple dish to make and not too many variations out there.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@summer slopeThank you for the Daily cocktail recipe.  I believe this recipe is incorrect, where’s the maple? The drink in the photo is not layered but looks correct.  Let’s try this one… The "Toronto Maple Leafs" cocktail is a spirited tribute to the passion and excitement of ice hockey and the beloved Canadian team, the Toronto Maple Leafs. This cocktail embodies the essence of the game, blending the rich flavors of Canadian whisky with the sweetness of maple syrup, paying homage to the iconic maple leaf symbol. 

½ oz lemon juice

2 dashes angostura bitters  
½ oz maple syrup  

2 oz Canadian whiskey

In a cocktail shaker with ice cubes add Canadian whisky, maple syrup, fresh lemon juice, and aromatic bitters. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.

1. Strain the cocktail mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice. Express the oils from the orange twist over the drink by twisting it over the glass, then use it as a garnish(optional).

IMG_8878.jpeg.bc6ecda4970088ee31200dcd8383e331.jpeg
It is scientifically proven that hugs boost mood, reduce stress and increase happiness. Spread some joy and positivity with a hug today!

Where did you find this one.  I tried to copy and paste yours onto my sheet but it won't do it.  Thank you as I'm having problems finding some of the newer ones.

• Like 17