No More Lunch in MDR?

MDR still offers lunch, just occasionally they offer a Brunch instead. 

We've had a few experiences with ship brunches even  well before Covid. I recall a beautiful brunch  on (I think) Empress. Brunch was  offered in a few recent cruises.   It is not my favorite timeframe, but we adjust as necessary. 

I agree that 12 is a bit early to close. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

WE did the Oasis in March and July and yes, no more lunch in the MDR was offered, only Brunch and it closed early (noonish)  Sad.  You had to go to Windjammer, El Loco Fresh, or one of the other venues.  Used to enjoy lunch in the MDR once or twice per cruise but it was not an option this past year on the Oasis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

WE did the Oasis in March and July and yes, no more lunch in the MDR was offered, only Brunch and it closed early (noonish)  Sad.  You had to go to Windjammer, El Loco Fresh, or one of the other venues.  Used to enjoy lunch in the MDR once or twice per cruise but it was not an option this past year on the Oasis.

I am very sorry to hear that.   I am booked on Oasis for a TA in October and will be disappointed to not have MDR lunch. We have many sea days. [which I enjoy]  DH has some mobility issues and WJ can be problematic for him.  I know there are other venues.  However, most are very casual.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I am very sorry to hear that.   I am booked on Oasis for a TA in October and will be disappointed to not have MDR lunch. We have many sea days. [which I enjoy]  DH has some mobility issues and WJ can be problematic for him.  I know there are other venues.  However, most are very casual.  

We asked why they were doing the brunches instead of offering lunches.  They said that the MDR staff were having to put in too many hours and this would reduce hours.  Alternatively, could be like housekeeping services...cut back the number of housekeepers and give them more cabins but only clean cabins once per day...cut back number of staff for food services and reduce the hours that food is served.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I'm on the spring Oasis TA with 9 consecutive sea days, so I hope they will offer MDR lunch at least 5 of the sea days.

2 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We asked why they were doing the brunches instead of offering lunches.  They said that the MDR staff were having to put in too many hours and this would reduce hours.  Alternatively, could be like housekeeping services...cut back the number of housekeepers and give them more cabins but only clean cabins once per day...cut back number of staff for food services and reduce the hours that food is served.

+1000

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I'm on the spring Oasis TA with 9 consecutive sea days, so I hope they will offer MDR lunch at least 5 of the sea days.

Maybe they'll skip breakfast for 5 days and offer lunch instead.  Seems like a simple solution.😇🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, cannot believe I am reading this , no MDR lunch. I  used to love going for a girls only lunch with friends  on the TAs leaving hubby to do his own thing . RCI never opened for lunch on port days in all the years we have cruised with them but not even on sea days now? What was that salad buffet called , began with a T  😆 , used to love that .

We have started cruising more with other lines and believe it or not even on port days the dining room is open for lunch with them , MSC and P&O. I even had sushi last week on Iona on the lunch menu 😋.  

8 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Wow, cannot believe I am reading this , no MDR lunch. I  used to love going for a girls only lunch with friends  on the TAs leaving hubby to do his own thing . RCI never opened for lunch on port days in all the years we have cruised with them but not even on sea days now? What was that salad buffet called , began with a T  😆 , used to love that .

We have started cruising more with other lines and believe it or not even on port days the dining room is open for lunch with them , MSC and P&O. I even had sushi last week on Iona on the lunch menu 😋.  

Tutti Salad Bar

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 2:44 PM, heatherb1958 said:

When I started on Royal the Main Dining was open for all 3 Meals inc Lunch on Sea and Port Days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

When I started on Royal the Main Dining was open for all 3 Meals inc Lunch on Sea and Port Days.

And the MDR was the only option for disembarkation breakfast.  And it was at 6 AM for early seating passengers.  😱