Let’s talk toilet paper

SlightDraw

Long time cruiser and Just off reflection. I have thought about this often, just want to invite comments.

The toilet paper that is used on Celebrity, and Royal is very low quality. I would say I use three times the amount on a cruise ship than at home with the trusty Charmin. Is there a trade off between cost and usage? Better quality less usage? So I guess the Vice President in charge of purchasing toilet paper at the royal group has it figured out. 

By the way Reflection las week was wonderful, except the toilet paper.

• Haha 4

While I know we love to just rip apart every aspect of Celebrity and just assume its due to cost cutting, I would remind you; the sewage processing system on the ship is nothing like you are use to at home.  Being able to easily break down and flow through pipes is very important aspect of the paper.  Just like an RV.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SlightDraw said:

Long time cruiser and Just off reflection. I have thought about this often, just want to invite comments.

LOL-- That's gotta be the " best one "  today !!

"I have thought about this often "---- Really ?? That's what you think about ?? And, often ??

Hey, not so necessary to post how much toilet paper you use.

"the trusty Charmin"-- Beautiful-- send your post to Charmin VP Amenities -- ( mark " rush " ) and guaranteed you will receive 10 cases of toilet paper in a day or two--- should last you a week.

Holy Cow, What next on CC ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

While I know we love to just rip apart every aspect of Celebrity and just assume its due to cost cutting, I would remind you; the sewage processing system on the ship is nothing like you are use to at home.  Being able to easily break down and flow through pipes is very important aspect of the paper.  Just like an RV.  

While I also thought this, it seems I read from an industry expert that this isn't a concern on cruise ships.   Putting things other than TP seems to be a big issue.   I could be misremembering of course.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may also bring your own! Doesn't weight too much. I like Costco Kirkland brand. Many articles on the Internet say you should not wipe more than  three wipes. I'm trying that. Still working on it. 

• Haha 1

I agree with Team Stag.

Here on land, those with septic tanks have to be very careful on what toilet paper they use or it can be a major issue. It is even worse on a cruise ship. I am not going to say that Celebrity doesn't use the most cost-effective toilet paper, but it is also important that they use TP that works best with their wastewater system. 

I have heard of people on here saying they would bring their own TP, but please do not. That can cause issues (blockages) with the pipes and it would be awful to have back-ups in rooms because you wanted to bring different TP. 

Edited by StephSch
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I'm not sure if I should take this thread seriously, or if OP is just having fun pulling our leg.

I personally am not fan of the toilet paper on board Celebrity, but I'll stay out of this discussion. lol

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SlightDraw said:

The toilet paper that is used on Celebrity, and Royal is very low quality. I would say I use three times the amount on a cruise ship than at home with the trusty Charmin. Is there a trade off between cost and usage? Better quality less usage? So I guess the Vice President in charge of purchasing toilet paper at the royal group has it figured out. 

By the way Reflection las week was wonderful, except the toilet paper.

this has at several q and a's on different ships . The answer is always the same - the paper is specially produced for use in the onboard vacuum system. No other paper should be used as it may create blockages.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

“Should I carry on or porter check my bidet?”

Do you know how much they weigh? If flying, I'm pretty sure it would put you over your Airline weight allowance. 😉

Edited by C-Dragons

8 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Do you know how much they weigh? If flying, I'm pretty sure it would put you over your Airline weight allowance. 😉

The dedicated ones which sort of look like separate toilets are becoming extinct due to the add on to any toilet versions which can weigh as little as a pound 

2 hours ago, SlightDraw said:

I would say I use three times the amount on a cruise ship than at home

Taking a few too many meals in the Oceanview Cafe, are you?!?

By the way I'm a Quilted Northern boy.

I prefer to travel in ultra-plush premium comfort.

8 minutes ago, Cybercsp said:

The OP is not kidding...same situation on Silhouette.  I completely understand system issues, but this was ridiculous. 

Apparently you don’t understand, wrong product can clog the system and who wants a backup in their cabin?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Apparently you don’t understand, wrong product can clog the system and who wants a backup in their cabin?

In 46 years of working on vacuum toilet systems, I've never seen a toilet clog due to "improper" toilet paper.  This is a long time, cruise ship urban myth.  Officers are generally told to say that the toilet paper is "special" in order to reinforce the concept of nothing other than toilet paper going into the toilets.

I also live on a septic system at my two houses.  We use whatever toilet paper is available, or on sale, and never had a problem.  The major difference between a land based septic system and the shipboard system, is the amount of time the sewage is in the process tank.  Because at home, the amount of water flowing through the septic tank is not great, the bacteria has time to start to digest the paper fibers.  Since the ship's system flows over 40 tons/hour, there is no time to even try to digest the paper fibers, so the system is designed to remove them chemical/mechanically and process them separately.

The vacuum system needs to have the "product" from the toilet maintain some "cohesiveness" in order to carry down the pipes (and in some cases up the pipes), which the toilet paper provides.  The paper the cruise lines use is the cheapest they can get, since the ship goes through pallet loads every week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

We have decided that all of the 22 cruises we have taken stocked the John Wayne toilet paper. Rough and tough and doesn't take #@!$ off of anyone. It's see through, thin, etc. There is really no difference in using 3-4 times the normal amount of the JW toilet paper versus the normal amount with normal toilet paper. Either way there could be a backup. JMHO.. (funny topic but we agree) 😆

• Haha 1