Ducks!

Hi all

Well, now I am sick with excitement. Have booked our first ever cruise with Regent, sailing to Greenland on Splendor. We got rather tired of Celebrity.  What we have seen on videos etc of this ship, she looks AWESOME!

A question. Do people hide ducks on Regent ships? We're new to the phenomenon, but found several on our last Celebrity cruise (first time finding any) and am wondering if it is worth me bringing some ducks to hide.

48 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Please! No!  It happened on our last cruise and I hope to never see it again.

I am sure others have a different viewpoint.

Marc

Whole-heartedly agree with you, Marc!  I would think Regent's business model and operating mode (along with that of most Regent customers) is to "look and act" LESS like mass-market lines!  Certainly not MORE like them!  Regards

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NYC-London said:

Ok, I am clueless - please enlighten me - why on earth would people hide ducks on a ship?

And then there's the additional problem of feeding them, housing them, and of course...cleaning up after them!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, talljules1 said:

A question. Do people hide ducks on Regent ships?

If you're going to hide something you need to go a little more upscale.  On a Sky Princess cruise in November 2019 I found a bottle of Veuve Clicquot behind the bedside table.  Hard to believe, I know, but the proof was in the bottle.

4A367190-DDD5-4635-9A11-29CF1A250D0E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.5171de5a19bab69455c9dfed1a9cc839.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

If you're going to hide something you need to go a little more upscale.  On a Sky Princess cruise in November 2019 I found a bottle of Veuve Clicquot behind the bedside table.  Hard to believe, I know, but the proof was in the bottle.     

WOW - lucky you!  I wonder if someone meant to pack it and forgot.  I'd leave my husband behind before I would forget "the old widow."

• Haha 2

This thread is simply "quackers"

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

It happened on our last cruise and I hope to never see it again.

We didn't have the pleasure(?) of seeing any on Mariner ............ but of course we sail on Regent to ensure we don't see a bill during the cruise 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

OK - so I think I have my answer. You all seem to think the answer is NO.

At least one comment was rude and uncalled for. I am not a child.

I was deeply skeptical about the whole cruise ducks thing for a long time. Staying in a Royal Suite on Celebrity on our last cruise I was actually delighted to find several ducks on our last cruise - and at the joy they can bring.

But if it is not a thing on Regent, it's not a thing. And that's fine. There was no need to be rude to say so. That says a lot more about you than me, or cruise ducks.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, talljules1 said:

I was deeply skeptical about the whole cruise ducks thing for a long time. Staying in a Royal Suite on Celebrity on our last cruise I was actually delighted to find several ducks on our last cruise - and at the joy they can bring.

But if it is not a thing on Regent, it's not a thing. And that's fine. There was no need to be rude to say so. That says a lot more about you than me, or cruise ducks.

You are free to do anything you want on Regent within the rules and there is no rule against hiding ducks. Please, have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 3

The whole hiding ducks thing is a bit of fun. Don't want to play - then no harm no foul.

Personally speaking, I like my duck(s) in a Chinese pancake with Hoi-Sin sauce, cucumber and spring onions (scallions). (Hello Regent - we are on Voyager next week - this menu item would be welcome).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

When, but only on rare instances when CC comments wander a bit off the path of comity, recall the following which I used in previous "lives" when MCing a retirement event for an Army colleague; or at a similar venue for a Postal Inspector: 

Life is short, and we do not have much time to be a blessing to those who travel The Way with us.   

So be swift to love, and make haste to be kind.

----------

True confession.  My dear wife usually delivered the above "benediction".  Too emotional for me. 

See some of you in a few days continuing along that Way aboard Mariner; and, a few months later on Splendor.

GOARMY!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Personally speaking, I like my duck(s) in a Chinese pancake with Hoi-Sin sauce, cucumber and spring onions (scallions). (Hello Regent - we are on Voyager next week - this menu item would be welcome).

Just special order it.  Chef might ask that you special order it for a night where duck is already on menu but all the ingredients should be available.  Special ordering is now done at Dining Reservation desk but a  recipe specific dish might be easier to order through dining room manager.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Just special order it.  Chef might ask that you special order it for a night where duck is already on menu but all the ingredients should be available.  Special ordering is now done at Dining Reservation desk but a  recipe specific dish might be easier to order through dining room manager.

Thanks for the tip. I can get these items any time I want in London, so it is not a big deal. I do notice that duck is not that widely available on Voyager, and Gewürztraminer wine does not seem to show up much either. Duck and Gewurtz is a marriage made in heaven IMHO.

I do see enough things to keep me happily fed and watered for the next three weeks though😉.

Not much of a fan of duck,  but agree with Gewürztraminer wine. It is one of DH’s favorite and absolutely my favorite. Wish we would see it more on Regent.  

2 hours ago, talljules1 said:

I so apologize (sincerely) if you thought I was being rude. I thought I was being humorous. So often on this board the subject of not wanting babies and kids on Regent comes up and I was extrapolating that the ducks and stuffed animals are certainly childlike. And I have no problem with anyone who behaves themselves being onboard. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Thanks for the tip. I can get these items any time I want in London, so it is not a big deal. I do notice that duck is not that widely available on Voyager, and Gewürztraminer wine does not seem to show up much either. Duck and Gewurtz is a marriage made in heaven IMHO.

I do see enough things to keep me happily fed and watered for the next three weeks though😉.

Although the duck entree was taken off Chartreuse menu on Mariner (but still available on Grandeur), I have found duck is the one game meat you can get most nights.  Elk, venison, squab, quail, pheasant, ostrich, and others have all disappeared in last few years.  Even foie gras has been taken off the always available menu in Compass Rose but you can still put in a standing special order if you want.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Although the duck entree was taken off Chartreuse menu on Mariner (but still available on Grandeur), I have found duck is the one game meat you can get most nights.  Elk, venison, squab, quail, pheasant, ostrich, and others have all disappeared in last few years.  Even foie gras has been taken off the always available menu in Compass Rose but you can still put in a standing special order if you want.

Thank you for the foie gras tip. I love it and would be rather disappointed if I could not get it now and again.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Venison, pheasant and certain other UK game meats, I can source from my local farmer's market when in season.

We are now at the 'clear down the fridge' stage before we fly out to join Voyager in RdJ.

Getting excited now!

4 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

The whole hiding ducks thing is a bit of fun. Don't want to play - then no harm no foul.

Don’t you mean “no harm no fowl”?? 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

@mrlevin thanks for the info on special ordering Peking duck from Dining desk. I will keep in mind we have the option to special order certain items! Most cruises  have duck served one way or another, but usually not prepared very well. 

15 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Thank you for the foie gras tip. I love it and would be rather disappointed if I could not get it now and again.

Don't forget to request a glass of Sauternes from the Sommelier to accompany it if that appeals 😉 

• Like 1