Any advantage to purchasing future cruise on-board?

RGEDad

Currently have a 7 day cruise booked for Feb 4,2024 on the Regal Princess.

Cogitating a April 4,2024 cruise on the Crown Princess.

Is there any significant advantage to waiting to book the cruise to the forthcoming cruise, or should I just book it now.

Have not cruised Princess for 14 years but some companies have significant deals/bennies for booking on a current cruise.

I'd advise you to wait.  Very often the Future Cruise guys on the ships can get better fares or lower deposits than through the website. Also, buy a Future Cruise Credit BEFORE you book.  You can use that for the deposit and get some OBC besides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

buy a Future Cruise Credit BEFORE you book.  You can use that for the deposit and get some OBC besides

OK - But it appears one can only buy Future Cruise Deposits (FCD) while on a cruise...

Found the following on the Princess web site: You can purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) on board as part of our Future Cruise Deposit Program.

Or at least I was unable to fine anyplace on the Princess web site that I can send them cash for FCD.

But thank you for the indication there might be an advantage to waiting to book on-board with the possibility of better fares.

Edited by RGEDad
Added thank you

7 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

OK - But it appears one can only buy Future Cruise Deposits (FCD) while on a cruise...

Found the following on the Princess web site: You can purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) on board as part of our Future Cruise Deposit Program.

Or at least I was unable to fine anyplace on the Princess web site that I can send them cash for FCD.

But thank you for the indication there might be an advantage to waiting to book on-board with the possibility of better fares.

I meant buy the FCD on board BEFORE you talk to the Future Cruise Desk about booking something.  The FCDs process in a day or so and then they're in your account.  You can buy them from the app or on a paper form.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I meant buy the FCD on board BEFORE you talk to the Future Cruise Desk about booking something.  The FCDs process in a day or so and then they're in your account. 

Ahhh - Now i understand - Thank You

On 1/25/2024 at 11:44 AM, DCThunder said:

I meant buy the FCD on board BEFORE you talk to the Future Cruise Desk about booking something.  The FCDs process in a day or so and then they're in your account.  You can buy them from the app or on a paper form.

You buy the fcd on board and can book immediately using it, I have just done so.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Here are the details re: a Future Cruise Deposit.  We always keep several active FCD's on our account.

I have never regretted buying FCD. I have, however, regretted not having any FCDs left when I decided to book more cruises than I had anticipated. In those instances it feels like I've just flushed "free" money down the toilet. We currently have 2 each "in the bank" and will likely buy at least one more each when we sail in April. If they don't get used in time they will be refunded and it's not like that amount of money would be making money via interest if I had it somewhere else. I just don't see any downside.

• Like 3

We both always have at least 2 FCD in our bank for future cruises.  We always go on 7+ day cruises so we get $50+ FCC to spend on board.  That is more than what we could get with the money placed somewhere else.  They can be purchased only on board but used later.  Great program. 

• Like 1

I could use some clarification on this FCD process.

Here's an example.

I am on a 14 day Princess cruise in an inside cabin.  I purchase 2 FCD for $100 each.  Total $200. This $200 FCD is charged to my onboard ship account.  On the same cruise, I am then credited to my onboard ship account $75 per person for a total of $150.

Can I apply the $150 OBC toward gratuities (no premier package).

I have 1 year to use my $200 FCD toward a Princess cruise deposit (sailing can be later).

Is this correct? 

How does the refundable part work? 

If 1 year passes and I do not book a Princess cruise the $200 I spent for a FCD is refunded to me? 

If I book a cruise within the 1 year and later (after 1 year) I cancel the cruise is the $200 FCD is refunded to me? 

Are the FCD for named guests or can I give them away or take someone different on my next cruise and use the FCD.

Sorry for all of the questions.  The concept is great.  The process is a bit confusing. Thanks in advance. 

No it doesn't quite work that way.

If on your 14 day cruise you buy two FCDs, the OBC you would get would be on the new cruise that you book and use the FCD to make the deposit.  There's no impact on the cruise you're on when you purchase the FCDs.

If while on the cruise, you went to the Future Cruise Desk and booked a 7 day Alaska cruise for this summer, nd used the FCDs for the deposit, you'd get the appropriate amount of OBC on the Alaska cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Absolutely agree on purchasing FCDs once on board. Best deal at sea.
We always keep at least 6 each “in the bank”. 

How many FCD can you use for each cruise?

ruimin

2 hours ago, ruimin said:

How many FCD can you use for each cruise?

ruimin

To clarify, you use 1 FCD per guest as a deposit on a new booking and that earns you an OBC amount that varies in value, increasing by cruise length and cabin category. 

You can burn more FCD's towards the cost of the cruise, but you earn nothing back, so wouldn't make sense to double-up on a deposit, for example.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coldweather said:

How does the refundable part work? 

If 1 year passes and I do not book a Princess cruise the $200 I spent for a FCD is refunded to me? 

If I book a cruise within the 1 year and later (after 1 year) I cancel the cruise is the $200 FCD is refunded to me? 

Q1: Yes.  Once the FCD expiry date has passed, the FCD is canceled and the cash refunded to the original form of payment (credit card).

Q2: Yes.  If the FCD expiry date has not passed when you cancel, then the FCD is restored to your profile with the original expiry date.  If the expiry date has passed by the time you cancel, then you are refunded the $200 to form of payment.

• Thanks 1

One more point for consideration. 
As @Steelers36 so accurately described above, an FCD (Future Cruise Deposit, not to be confused with a Future Cruise Credit  - altogether different beasts) is used to make a DEPOSIT on a cruise you are booking.

When you use an FCD that you have previously purchased and have in your FCD “bank” as a deposit, you are making a deposit in the amount of exactly $100. Stay with me here….

It’s not unusual when booking a cruise to find a deposit requirement of $800 or more. Without an FCD, you will pay whatever the listed deposit amount is to secure that cruise. But if you have an FCD to use, your deposit amounts is $100 no matter what the listed deposit amount is on the payment page. 

All this plus it’s easy to get a $100 OBC when you use an FCD. 

By definition - free money 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two points further about FCD.

1. When you book a cruise while on board a current cruise, you will have the option to buy an FCD to be used on the cruise you are booking.

2. The FCD charge of $100/FCD will be charged immediately to your credit card, normally the one you have on file but can change it at the time without changing the form of payment on the cruise.  It will not appear on your folio for this cruise.  It is a separate charge.  

If you are a veteran of a uniformed service (army, air force, navy marine, coast guard) of a US or Canadian armed force, you will be given an OBC equal to the FCD OBC (eg $100 OBC) and they are stackable.  You must apply ahead of time by submitting proof to Princess.  Once on file and granted, you will not have to do it again until it expires and is automatically added to your booking. Don't forget, free money!

We always purchase future cruise deposits while on ship. We have done 13 cruises on Princess and will hopefully do many more. You get a locked amount for deposit on future cruise and some future cruise credit, free money as mentioned. Fully refundable so a win/win in my estimation. We booked future cruise once while on board but didn’t see any difference in price. It seemed like fun at the time but you surrender a lot of time for planning and consideration. Get the FCD and you have plenty of time for planning next cruise.

Edited by philv
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:25 AM, Sarnia 432 said:

Some cruises were being offered at 50% off the online price, when we were sailing in November.  This offered us a huge saving on upcoming cruises.  Check in with the onboard cruise consultant.

I believe the 50% selected cruises on board booking promo expired at the end of October 2023. Subsequently, Princess then offered a very select number of cruises that were 20-30% off and were sailing in the next few months.

With bookings going well, meaning fuller ships, they have no incentive to ‘discount’, but may offer some that are not selling well, but the 50% off promo is long gone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reading all the comments about FCD makes me think what a good idea that would be.  We are sailing on a B2B in March to Australia/New Zealand and could certainly do this.  My question is, we also just booked a 14 day cruise for September 2025.  Should I check the price of this cruise when we return to see if there is a better price and use the FCD or ask the future cruise reps about rebooking at a lower price?  

I do not have any OBC on the 2025 cruise as I prefer to book my own cruises on the site.  I find I can make adjustments, watch the price for a decrease, make changes myself rather than wait for someone else to do it. If I were to book a cruise on the ship, is that like booking with a travel agent?  OR would I have control over this booking?  Hmmm.....

6 hours ago, It'smegrandma said:

Reading all the comments about FCD makes me think what a good idea that would be.  We are sailing on a B2B in March to Australia/New Zealand and could certainly do this.  My question is, we also just booked a 14 day cruise for September 2025.  Should I check the price of this cruise when we return to see if there is a better price and use the FCD or ask the future cruise reps about rebooking at a lower price?  

I do not have any OBC on the 2025 cruise as I prefer to book my own cruises on the site.  I find I can make adjustments, watch the price for a decrease, make changes myself rather than wait for someone else to do it. If I were to book a cruise on the ship, is that like booking with a travel agent?  OR would I have control over this booking?  Hmmm.....

No, you're booking directly with Princess.

For the heavily discounted cruises, they require payment in full at the time of booking and no FCD can be used towards the booking. 

On 2/26/2024 at 8:40 AM, It'smegrandma said:

If you book on board you can have that booking transferred to your travel agent if you wish.

• Like 1