1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I honestly have trouble thinking they're going to actually kick off a couple of unremarkable 50 year-olds for having a pack of gummies in their luggage.

Go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Post back with "year real life experience". 

• Haha 3

Thank you. I figured that was out there somewhere, but trying to find specific info on a cruise website can sometimes be a challenge!

I guess I was look for some real life answers.  I honestly have trouble thinking they're going to actually kick off a couple of unremarkable 50 year-olds for having a pack of gummies in their luggage.  Confiscating seems reasonable, but actually booting us off the ship for a first offense sounds a little draconian.  I get that they CAN do that, but I would like to hear if anyone can attest to that actually happening.  

I mean, it's kind of like accidentally carrying a pocket knife through security at the airport.  It's totally reasonable to normally have that in my backpack and I forgot to take it out before going to the airport. What do they do? They confiscate it. The don't arrest me or put me on the no-fly list.

Just looking for real-life experiences.

Someone on carnival got caught and booted. There are dogs who might be able to sniff out edibles. I've seen them walking with dogs along the line. What do you think they are looking for if not weed or weed products?

I wouldnt risk being thrown off myself and am not against it, just not a risk taking person. I know weed does get onboard, just I am a worrier and wouldnt. I'm not flaming just saying it's a risk I wouldnt take. Can dogs sniff it out? Idk. 

I mix my edibles into a sleep gummie or vitamin gummie container with the real sleep or vitamins in there as well.  Have never had an issue.  If they are really going to go through 25 gummies looking for the however many have THC in them--more power to them and that would be beyond draconian.  Before the Carnival incident I also just took them straight in their original packet and had no issues as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also for those judging, I'm trying to understand the difference between this and the 100's or probably 1000's of people who buy Tramadol, Retinol or any other drug inside the Mexican ports 100 feet from the ship -who are never stopped even though the cruise lines know the next stop is the US where the importation of such without a prescription is illegal?

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, chfenton said:

I mix my edibles into a sleep gummie or vitamin gummie container with the real sleep or vitamins in there as well.  Have never had an issue.  If they are really going to go through 25 gummies looking for the however many have THC in them--more power to them and that would be beyond draconian.  Before the Carnival incident I also just took them straight in their original packet and had no issues as well.

Agree that carnival incident scared me into not considering it. Lol. And they are looking for not just thc, either is illegal to bring onboard. Cbd isnt legal to bring onboard either.

3 minutes ago, chfenton said:

Also for those judging, I'm trying to understand the difference between this and the 100's or probably 1000's of people who buy Tramadol, Retinol or any other drug inside the Mexican ports 100 feet from the ship -who are never stopped even though the cruise lines know the next stop is the US where the importation of such without a prescription is illegal?

I am going to attempt a guess here. The difference is that Mexico, the Bahamas, etc. are trusting the cruise lines to deal with their immigration and customs duties to make the cruise more seamless. Violations of this trust might end up with immigration and customs stations at the end of every dock. NO ONE wants that. The US is different since you do go through immigration and customs when you get back 

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Agree that carnival incident scared me into not considering it. Lol. And they are looking for not just thc, either is illegal to bring onboard. Cbd isnt legal to bring onboard either.

Illegal or against the rules?  In what part(s) of the world.  OP hasn't stated where they are cruising from.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying they should do it.

Edited by time4u2go

7 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Nor do I. However, enforcing would be confiscating.  Banning for life, removing in handcuffs?  That is most certainly draconian.  

Not trying to argue with you, but Royal clearly states their position on this and many other of their guest conduct policies and what those consequences are. Some of those consequences are denied boarding, a lifetime ban and arrest (probably in handcuffs) and prosecution according to the local jurisdiction.  There are many stories of passengers who have been arrested in foreign ports for many different reasons, to me it wouldn't be worth the risk.  Personally I agree, confiscating it would be reasonable however that's not up to you and I.  I wouldn't want to leave that decision up to someone else. 

19 minutes ago, chfenton said:

You are only fooling yourself. The song Smugglers Blues comes to mind. 😁

1 minute ago, jakeil7 said:

I am going to attempt a guess here. The difference is that Mexico, the Bahamas, etc. are trusting the cruise lines to deal with their immigration and customs duties to make the cruise more seamless. Violations of this trust might end up with immigration and customs stations at the end of every dock. NO ONE wants that. The US is different since you do go through immigration and customs when you get back 

This is an interesting thread and I can advocate for either side.  I get what you are saying and agree with you--curious because the Royal list says prohibited items include illegal drugs and substances.  So is Retinol purchased in Cozumel an illegal drug if purchased by an American?  The technical answer is no because it was purchased legally in Mexico and would only become illegal upon importation into the US.  I think my point is - it's a slippery slope particularly with the rapidly changing laws around THC/Hemp 0.3% etc..

CBD is another one -  legal to purchase up to 0.3% THC content under the federal farm bill I believe but on prohibited item list.  So in that case its seems it's much like a curling iron-a "legal" item  but prohibited by the private company (as they have every right to do). So what happens when they find a curling iron - do they handcuff you and ban you for life- of course not.  Would be curious to see someone play out if the same thing happened with legal CBD?

• Like 4

We sailed to Alaska this past summer.  I'm from California, where it's legal.  Boarded our ship in Washington where it is also legal.  Stopped in ports in Alaska and Canada, legal in both cases.  The one place I was NOT allowed to have anything was on the ship.  Was kind of funny, but I played along.  I figure if I can't go a week without gummies then maybe it's time to think about whether I should really be doing them.

• Like 1

I normally carry a gun everywhere I go. I know they say I can’t bring one onboard, but I’ve never shot anyone, so do you think it’d be O K???  
I am special and feel that I’m above the law. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I normally carry a gun everywhere I go. I know they say I can’t bring one onboard, but I’ve never shot anyone, so do you think it’d be O K???  
I am special and feel that I’m above the law. 

No it's not ok as its on their prohibited items list.  My follow up question is if you were carrying it with a legal permit, would they simply confiscate it or throw you in handcuffs and ban you for life because you presented yourself with something on their prohibited items list?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chfenton said:

It is not illegal to bring non controlled substances across the border back into the US ; even without a prescription. 

12 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Illegal or against the rules?  In what part(s) of the world.  OP hasn't stated where they are cruising from.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying they should do it.

OP is cruising from Fort Lauderdale at the end of February. For sure posting on Cruise Critic your sailing date and cabin type is probably not a good idea if you plan to do something illegal. Some cruise critic members I have met on roll calls and got to know turned out to be in law enforcement. 

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

OP is cruising from Fort Lauderdale at the end of February. For sure posting on Cruise Critic your sailing date and cabin type is probably not a good idea if you plan to do something illegal. Some cruise critic members I have met on roll calls and got to know turned out to be in law enforcement. 

Where did they state that?  I must have missed it.

1 hour ago, jerryg95 said:

Illegal and against the rules but you will be fine on the ship. I wouldn't take them off in port but no need to do that since you can eat just one before getting off the ship.

Do a search on if dogs can smell gummies. A few say it's possible but most say it's highly unlikely.

Thank you.   But I'm still a little stunned about the story of Carnival banning someone for life! 

As for the people talking about getting in trouble in ports, I totally get that. But no way would I ever consider venturing off the ship with them in a foreign country.  They would probably just be in my shaving kit in case I wanted one to relax at night. 

But I guess that's just my "criminal" mind! LOL!

No opinion on the core topic; however, just to point out- on the ship in your cabin or off the ship on your person in port- there is no difference 

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It is not illegal to bring non controlled substances across the border back into the US ; even without a prescription. 

WIth all due respect that's my point for discussion- Tramadol for instance is a category IV controlled substance according to the DEA - hence we can't buy them in the US without a prescription.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Great question.

I was answering the question of why some people think they are above the law. If you want to compare going above the speed limit with committing a felony you just want to argue. There is any case in the news about a couple caught with 100 bags of Marijuana. They claimed it should have been okay because it was just for personal use. Lots of people come up with rationalizations for criminal acts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

I was answering the question of why some people think they are above the law. If you want to compare going above the speed limit with committing a felony you just want to argue. There is any case in the news about a couple caught with 100 bags of Marijuana. They claimed it should have been okay because it was just for personal use. Lots of people come up with rationalizations for criminal acts. 

Exactly!  Including going over the speed limit.